Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, IX

2 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

I feel like I'm the only one in this fandom that thinks the idea that Rhaegar courted Lyanna to get three heads is dumb. It's just not a natural human motivation. Their story being a one of love (or rather, a subversion of common romance tropes), and Jon being an oopsie-baby, is far more realistic and less convoluted.

I am of the opinion that Rhaegar intended those three children as sacrifices and he more or less saw Lyanna as a tool for it. That would explain the melancholic nature of him and he sent his three KG to protect Lyanna because he wants to keep it alive to sacrifice it. Maybe Lyanna is on board of this and that was her promise to Ned. He was to sacrifice the Targ child that's why he was reminded of broken promises and killing of Targ kids during the assassination attempt of Dany. It is a pretty Dark theory but it makes sense for me and is much better than the Lovey Dovey Romance and the secret heir to the throne theory. Them being in love doesn't fit the personality of Rhaegar which is why I am against it.

In ASOS, since the bwb meant to collect Arya's ransom and give her back to the Starks/Tullys , I think it a little odd that they're openly showing her a few of the noble Houses associated with them. Don't they risk some consequences for helping a group that holds captives and takes in deserters?

13 hours ago, khal drogon said:

I am of the opinion that Rhaegar intended those three children as sacrifices and he more or less saw Lyanna as a tool for it. That would explain the melancholic nature of him and he sent his three KG to protect Lyanna because he wants to keep it alive to sacrifice it. Maybe Lyanna is on board of this and that was her promise to Ned. He was to sacrifice the Targ child that's why he was reminded of broken promises and killing of Targ kids during the assassination attempt of Dany. It is a pretty Dark theory but it makes sense for me and is much better than the Lovey Dovey Romance and the secret heir to the throne theory. Them being in love doesn't fit the personality of Rhaegar which is why I am against it.

What aspect of Rhaegar's personality makes it where you think that him and Lyanna's couldn't have been in love? 

Confession: I dream of asoiaf sometimes. 

The other night, I dreamed that a dragon attacked "Scandinavia" (Norway and Sweden) but the attack had the same effect as a MASSIVE atomic bomb.  It created a huge ice sheet 4 miles thick over the entire land mass and a large green aurora borealis.  

I've been reading some of the threads discussing Norse mythology parallels and the LmL threads lately, which I think influenced the "Scandinavia" and "aurora" in my dream.  Both dragons and ice/winter can be interpreted as apolyptic figures, so it makes sense to me why they'd be combined.  

On 20/11/2016 at 2:49 AM, khal drogon said:

What do you mean, it doesn't fit his personality? He's a musician!

Srsly though, I don't think Rhaegar has been presented as being so emotionally detached that he would view his lover and his children as tools. That sort of thing would be fitting for a one dimensional villain, and I don't feel that Rhaegar is written as one.

On 11/20/2016 at 0:49 AM, khal drogon said:

I'm not sold on the theory of a love match between Lyanna and Rhaegar either. She may have gone along with it as a big f*** you to Robert. He probably went along with it looking for his Visenya equivlent. But this isn't the thread for theories.

I read the books in nine days. This may have been aided by me finishing AFfC at 3 in the morning, putting on pants, and going out to a 24 hour shop to buy ADwD. Then still reading.

I hope WoW comes out before my child is born, or they might be neglected. My wife is almost as bad as I am.

I loath R+L=J and get triggered when I see someone talking about it.

I want Dany to have as soon as possible an awful death.

I want Cersei, Mereen, Tyrion,Arya and Dorne to be cut out so that we can have more Stannis, Euron, Blackfish and Jaime.

I want Shireen to marry Edric and rule Westeros

I also have zero fucks given about AA, TPTWP , Mummer`s dragon and other prophecies. 

House Targeryan must be removed from the annals of history

I also think that Richard Horpe and Rolland Storm are extraordinary fighters, no idea why.

Confession

I had a......stiffened manhood.....during some scenes

On 19.11.2016 at 8:44 AM, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I stil get Mors and Hother Umber mixed up. I have to pause and think, "this is the boy whore killer one" and "this is the one eyed crow eater". I really wish Mors was the whore killer. Mors rhymes with whore (kind of), that would be easier. Oh wait, is he that one? Who is outside Winterfell? Which one is castellan? Both? Neither? Ahhhh!!!

I've to admit that the same thing always happens with the Glover Brothers for me. Despite having re-read the books and reading a lot of discussions about the Northern storyline in ADWD, I keep mixing them up. I know that the one has a wife and kids, and is working together with Manderly while the other one is a bachelor and located somewhere with Maege Mormont, but I keep forgetting which one is Robert and which one Galbart. 

On 11/20/2016 at 8:45 AM, The Wolves said:

What aspect of Rhaegar's personality makes it where you think that him and Lyanna's couldn't have been in love? 

Because every time Rhaegar is mentioned he is described as melancholic and he extremely focused only on what needs to be done. He never stroke me as the kind of person who will be reckless enough as to fall in love and elope. He seemed a goal oriented person and the one always who knew what would happen. His kidnapping of Lyanna should be for a reason more than love and should be for whatever he was planning. I believe Rhaegar organised and rigged the tourney to crown Lyanna and use Lyanna for whatever he planned. Maybe they could have fell in love later but I don't think Rhaegar's love motivated Lyanna's kidnapping.

10 hours ago, 1000th Lord Commander said:

I'm not sold on the theory of a love match between Lyanna and Rhaegar either. She may have gone along with it as a big f*** you to Robert. He probably went along with it looking for his Visenya equivlent. But this isn't the thread for theories.

Or she was simply attracted to him and that made Rhaegar easy to convince her. 

10 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

What do you mean, it doesn't fit his personality? He's a musician!

Srsly though, I don't think Rhaegar has been presented as being so emotionally detached that he would view his lover and his children as tools. That sort of thing would be fitting for a one dimensional villain, and I don't feel that Rhaegar is written as one.

It is not being emotionally detached but simply doing what needs to be done. This guy has a belief in prophecies and probably had dragon dreams. He always had a sense of Doom. He was so bookish but suddenly started training himself to become a warrior. Then he left his sick wife who can't give birth to elope with another princess. These all look like he was working towards something. If he was so emotional he probably wouldn't have left Elia Martell. That doesn't give away what he intended with the kids though. But the connection between Ned's broken promises and dead Targ kids made me think that way. That explains why Ned thought of Lyanna's promise while the assassination of Dany's child comes up.

1 hour ago, khal drogon said:

Because every time Rhaegar is mentioned he is described as melancholic and he extremely focused only on what needs to be done. He never stroke me as the kind of person who will be reckless enough as to fall in love and elope. He seemed a goal oriented person and the one always who knew what would happen. His kidnapping of Lyanna should be for a reason more than love and should be for whatever he was planning. I believe Rhaegar organised and rigged the tourney to crown Lyanna and use Lyanna for whatever he planned. Maybe they could have fell in love later but I don't think Rhaegar's love motivated Lyanna's kidnapping.

Okay, now I understand and I agree with this. 

I also want to say that they fell in love after he kidnapped her(I hope they did just cause) 

12 hours ago, 1000th Lord Commander said:

I read the books in nine days. This may have been aided by me finishing AFfC at 3 in the morning, putting on pants, and going out to a 24 hour shop to buy ADwD. Then still reading.

I hope WoW comes out before my child is born, or they might be neglected. My wife is almost as bad as I am.

With no release date yet announced, I would not count on it dude.

Going out at 3-4 am to buy a book, that is dedication. My hat is off to you.

13 hours ago, Ser Rolland Storn said:

I had a......stiffened manhood.....during some scenes

Fat pink mast, right? Or are you a big brown nipples fan?

7 hours ago, khal drogon said:

Or she was simply attracted to him and that made Rhaegar easy to convince her. 

It is not being emotionally detached but simply doing what needs to be done. This guy has a belief in prophecies and probably had dragon dreams. He always had a sense of Doom. He was so bookish but suddenly started training himself to become a warrior. Then he left his sick wife who can't give birth to elope with another princess. These all look like he was working towards something. If he was so emotional he probably wouldn't have left Elia Martell. That doesn't give away what he intended with the kids though. But the connection between Ned's broken promises and dead Targ kids made me think that way. That explains why Ned thought of Lyanna's promise while the assassination of Dany's child comes up.

See, this just looks like a lot of backwards reasoning to me. Rhaegar was following the prophecy, so he must have left Elia because she couldn't give him his 'third head'. Rhaegar was following the prophecy, so he must have only shacked up with Lyanna to get his 'third head'. Then you have to speculate some more, because why did he choose to make a 'head' with Lyanna, specifically, when it would have been far easier to take an mistress who wasn't highborn or betrothed? It's just too much speculation and assumption for me. More than that, it's crappy writing with no thematic value. People don't live having every action dictated by a single motivation. Even Krazznzs zo Whatever has more depth than that.

btw, "doing what needs to be done" sounds a lot like being emotionally detached.

9 hours ago, khal drogon said:

I got the feeling he was like Jojen except he saw his death and the fall of his family.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm gonna kill GRRM myself if he postpone the Other's invasion one more book. c'mon now georgy, it has been 5 books since aGoT's prologue and still nothing!!!

And second, I wish Khal Jaqho kill Daenerys, she deserves it for making us waste precious time with that stupid Bay of Slaves story arc. She even deserves to die off-screen because of it.

Archived