Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, IX

7 minutes ago, Lifestream said:

I'm still reading it, but so far it seems like Daenerys is learning many things with the Meereen situation and she's "shedding" her naivety regarding certain things, like thinking she can save everyone and acting mostly on emotion (as she did in previous books and that's why she's in the situation she is now). Now unfortunately for her though, I dunno if she's making the right decisions in the long run (regarding Westeros) because most of the people that are counseling her have little to do with Westeros but that's not exactly her fault. She just seems to be maturing much more in this book.

Yes, I also had the impression that she matured a lot in this book. I think she definetely made some mistakes in Meereen, but she wasn't as bad as a ruler as some people claim. Plus the situation was extremely complicated. 

10 minutes ago, Lifestream said:

I think it's just that Daenerys really divides people, more so than any other character in the books. I've been here for a little time but I've noticed some people REALLY dislike Daenerys and there are many that love her, but the dislike is really noticeable. Maybe it has to do with her story not taking place in Westeros, so many people are turned off.

Well, Catelyn and Sansa also divide the fandom to some extent. Though the latter is more popular than Daenerys. When I first joined the forum I was really surprised by all the Daenerys hate. I mean I can understand why some people don't like a character, we all have different tastes, but the hate of some people really surprised me. I think the fact that he story doesn't take place in Westeros definetely has something to do with. Some people also get annoyed that she doesn't move to Westeros, because they don't like Essos that much. I know there are also some other reasons like people getting annoyed with her decisions, dislike for the Targaryens in general, etc. 

16 minutes ago, Lifestream said:

I also wasn't turned off by Brienne's chapters(AFFC). I rather enjoyed her adventures with Pod and feel they make a better team than Tyrion & Pod.

I found them a bit boring on my first read, because it seemed like Brienne was just wandering around and always asking the same questions. I learned to really appreciate these chapters on my second read though. 

1 hour ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

A small, elderly woman moved into the house next door to mine about 2 months ago. We were just hit with 7 inches of snow. I shoveled my sidewalk and driveway then I shoveled hers. She came out to say thank you. I introduced myself and she introduced herself. HER NAME IS NAN! I must have looked so stupid with a big, gaping smile on my face. 

No, I did not ask her if she knew any good stories. But I almost did!

Nice!

2 minutes ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

Yes, I also had the impression that she matured a lot in this book. I think she definetely made some mistakes in Meereen, but she wasn't as bad as a ruler as some people claim. Plus the situation was extremely complicated. 

Well, Catelyn and Sansa also divide the fandom to some extent. Though the latter is more popular than Daenerys. When I first joined the forum I was really surprised by all the Daenerys hate. I mean I can understand why some people don't like a character, we all have different tastes, but the hate of some people really surprised me. I think the fact that he story doesn't take place in Westeros definetely has something to do with. Some people also get annoyed that she doesn't move to Westeros, because they don't like Essos that much. I know there are also some other reasons like people getting annoyed with her decisions, dislike for the Targaryens in general, etc. 

I found them a bit boring on my first read, because it seemed like Brienne was just wandering around and always asking the same questions. I learned to really appreciate these chapters on my second read though. 

I think Catelyn gets hate for her dislike of Jon. I too wasn't very fond of her chapters but mostly because I found them less exciting IMO compared to the rest of the characters(mostly the first book). But I've come to appreciate her.

Sansa also has interesting chapters when she's in KL. I think mostly the people who are fans of the show hate(or hated her) much more. In this forum she seems pretty loved (at least for the time I've spent here) but I think unlike Danny, Sansa has the Hound complimenting her in her chapters and later Tyrion. Both are interesting and make for a nice contrast with Sansa's opinions and ideals (especially the Hound). Dany only has Jorah and for most of their time, she clashes with other people(we have not established a connection with, or like) who seem not very important to the story. Jorah makes for a decent foil to Dany regarding certain aspects, but not so much as the people Sansa is paired with in KL. The Hound IMO is the more superior foil of the two(Hound-Jorah). I found Sansa's chapters in ACOK immensely interesting because of that. But Dany has more "exotic" chapters because we get a lot of information about Essos through her. I think the people who appreciate the world-building and wanna learn more about the continents probably don't mind Dany's chapters. But the people who care about the politics that involve Westeros and who sits on the Throne probably do.

I just like Brienne's attempt to be a true knight and it felt different to the rest more cynical and grey characters. Though I'll be honest there wasn't as much action. But it didn't turn me off from her chapters. And her chapters took a while I guess to become more intense (like at the end with LSH appearance).

6 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

I don't understand what you are trying to say with that quote ..I didn't come across as a guy who is against  reading right 

I'm saying that in our mind the characters in a book are as much alive as Drogonthedread, a poster on westeros.org. We have as much right to like or dislike them as you can like or dislike other posters in this forum. They are not less real, meaning no offense ;-)

2 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

A small, elderly woman moved into the house next door to mine about 2 months ago. We were just hit with 7 inches of snow. I shoveled my sidewalk and driveway then I shoveled hers. She came out to say thank you. I introduced myself and she introduced herself. HER NAME IS NAN! I must have looked so stupid with a big, gaping smile on my face. 

No, I did not ask her if she knew any good stories. But I almost did!

Wow! Ask for stories, old people usually have good ones, even if sometimes become tedious, listen!

Every time I read the books I find it harder and harder to want GRRM's world to survive the ice zombie apocalypse. There are good people in this world but we have seen so few that I'm rooting for the Others to win. In order to save Westeros innocents from future death, abuse, and suffering from the very lords and kings that is suppose to protect them I think it's best if everyone dies. The humans in ASOIAF suck and don't deserve saving. 

9 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I have never seen dudes with black and red hair twisted into shapes even more elaborate than a French poodle's, and I have been on six continents. That makes 'em exotic in my book. :)

Maybe. And then we can see people with even weirder hairstyles in a San Francisco street. What is exotic is always relative.

26 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

I am involved with a no-kill rescue in my area.  A feral kitten came in recently, and I named her... https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/36873647

I brought home a stray, shaggy, black kitten when I was a kid and named him Stormbringer. 

3 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

Maybe. And then we can see people with even weirder hairstyles in a San Francisco street. What is exotic is always relative.

That's for sure. It's a great, big beautiful world. And I am glad that you and everyone else are in it. 

Confession time: I actually like the Kettleblacks. They're like Littlefingers own versions of Bronn grasping ambitious rogues. I don't know why but Osmund straight up lying to Jaime about his knighthood cracks me up. Reminds me of some job interviews I had when i was younger.

Boss: So who's your reference?

Me: John...Smith, my uh...neighbor.

8 hours ago, myhalfgroat said:

Tywin Lannister would have made a great king. he's like the strict school principle. sure, no none likes him but he isn't supposed to be liked; he's supposed to ensure every kid get to class and gets an education.

I agree! Good comparison.

I very much dislike Tywin, but I probably respect/fear him more than any other character. George wrote Tywin's character very well to his purpose, IMO.

What gets me are all the people after R+L=J to make Jon the rightful Heir. No one cares. It is war. My favorite question is asking "How do you convince everyone it is true?" I have never had any answer make sense. I still believe that will be confirmed, but I don't think it will matter much in the grand scheme of things.

The winner takes that right. I will admit there is a part of me that wants to see characters get rewarded for the shit they go through, but I don't expect it.

11 hours ago, myhalfgroat said:

Tywin Lannister would have made a great king. he's like the strict school principle. sure, no none likes him but he isn't supposed to be liked; he's supposed to ensure every kid get to class and gets an education.

Seriously a great king? His pride is worse than the worst of the Targaryens. He was a smarter Aerys II in my opinion. His treatment of the Reynes is no better than Aerys' treatment of the Starks. He would keep order through 'fear'. That's not the quality of a good king.

Archived