Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, IX

I'm not sure if it's widely agreed with or not as I'm new around these parts, but I find the young age of most of the core characters to be quite distracting. 

Whenever it's mentioned that some of these characters are the age they are, I find it fully incomprehensible. Dany is 16 right? Yet she's travelling all over the world conquering it and in the back of my mind I'm just relating to 16 year olds that I know IRL and then it forces me to picture the TV characters appearances. Same goes with Jon and his adventures on The Wall. I'm not calling it a bad thing at all, but again, it's distracting to me. 

9 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

How so?

All those lemons suggest bitterness and disappointment. A lot of Sansa fans see their girl as a heroine, but I think they're going to be very disappointed. A many of them care deeply about this particular figment of the George' imagination. 

On 22/01/2017 at 4:40 PM, Ser Creep said:

I'm not sure if it's widely agreed with or not as I'm new around these parts, but I find the young age of most of the core characters to be quite distracting. 

That was one of the first things that caught my attention when I began the series, like "wtf?!?! this characters are all childs!!" Dany gets pregnant with 13 years from a man probably twice her age, Arya is a 10-year-old assassin, Robb (and Jon Snow to a lesser extent) is a badass commander at 15, Bran is a god at 9, Sansa is the only one that acts according to her age. Eventually you get used to it, but it still disturbs me when I stop to think about it.

I want to see if any of you amazingly insightful board members can do your magic here. I've always wondered the reason as to the point of Illyrio giving Dany and Viserys support in multiple ways, when (I'm 100% on board with the Aegon Brightfyre theory @Veltigar) he really has his Brightfyre son being groomed and prepared to the fullest to one day conquer the Seven Kingdoms and rule as King. 

4 hours ago, Prince Brightfyre said:

I want to see if any of you amazingly insightful board members can do your magic here. I've always wondered the reason as to the point of Illyrio giving Dany and Viserys support in multiple ways, when (I'm 100% on board with the Aegon Brightfyre theory @Veltigar) he really has his Brightfyre son being groomed and prepared to the fullest to one day conquer the Seven Kingdoms and rule as King. 

You might find this thread of some interest...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/138335-illyrios-motives-in-got/

Or not. 

During the Purple Wedding, Shae is the only person we see touching Sansa's hairnet other than Olenna. In that scene Tyrion notes how happy Shae seems, but why would she be happy? Did she strike a deal with someone? I'm not sure if there's any chance she had a role in Joffrey's murder (working with Tywin and/or Varys, perhaps?), it's unlikely, but it makes me a bit suspicious. 

1 hour ago, Joy Hill said:

During the Purple Wedding, Shae is the only person we see touching Sansa's hairnet other than Olenna. In that scene Tyrion notes how happy Shae seems, but why would she be happy? Did she strike a deal with someone? I'm not sure if there's any chance she had a role in Joffrey's murder (working with Tywin and/or Varys, perhaps?), it's unlikely, but it makes me a bit suspicious. 

Could you supply the quote. 

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Could you supply the quote. 

Shae was helping Sansa with her hair when they entered the bedchamber. Joy and grief, he thought when he beheld them there together. Laughter and tears. Sansa wore a gown of silvery satin trimmed in vair, with dagged sleeves that almost touched the floor, lined in soft purple felt. Shae had arranged her hair artfully in a delicate silver net winking with dark purple gemstones. Tyrion had never seen her look more lovely, yet she wore sorrow on those long satin sleeves. “Lady Sansa,” he told her, “you shall be the most beautiful woman in the hall tonight.”

Probably this. I don't think there is anything to it. It is interesting though.

2 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Probably this. I don't think there is anything to it. It is interesting though.

I agree. Shae just dressed her. The poison was already there, and Dontos told her to wear the net. There's no reason to suspect a relationship between Shae and Petyr but for her being a ho and him being a pimp. 

I thought it was odd that Joffrey draped the Lannister cloak over Margaery when they married. I thought the bride was supposed to take the cloak of the groom's house, and that's obviously not it. She's becoming a Baratheon (well, you know what I mean) not a Lannister. Also, no one at the wedding seemed to think this move was out of place. Maybe the groom can choose the cloak. Maybe the King groom can choose. Maybe it's one of those and everyone's so used to him surrounding himself with Lannister stuff that they didn't bat an eyelash.

41 minutes ago, Lizard Princess said:

I thought it was odd that Joffrey draped the Lannister cloak over Margaery when they married. I thought the bride was supposed to take the cloak of the groom's house, and that's obviously not it. She's becoming a Baratheon (well, you know what I mean) not a Lannister. Also, no one at the wedding seemed to think this move was out of place. Maybe the groom can choose the cloak. Maybe the King groom can choose. Maybe it's one of those and everyone's so used to him surrounding himself with Lannister stuff that they didn't bat an eyelash.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people at the wedding were wondering why a Lannister cloak was being used instead of a Baratheon but they were also probably scared to say anything about it. 

5 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people at the wedding were wondering why a Lannister cloak was being used instead of a Baratheon but they were also probably scared to say anything about it. 

This is what I was thinking as well. From the get go, we see the royal family as essentially Lannister through and through( Just look at the Crown's 3 million Golden Dragon debt, and their power/influence is incredible with this, and add in the way Tywin rules through fear). I assume most would keep their opinions to themselves considering the way Queen Regent Cersei allows Joffrey to rule. The Red Keep is swarming with Lannister guardsmen that are quick to do as the Lannisters see fit, moral correctness and knighthood vows not even in question.

Its worse too when you add in the fact that this "son" of House Baratheon is disregarding tradition and his dead fathers House, by making his wife a Lannister for the realm to see 

I might have overgeneralized -- I thought if it was abnormal that Sansa or Tyrion probably would have mentioned the cloak discrepancy in their inner monologue. They didn't and neither seemed surprised, so I thought maybe everyone felt that way. Maybe they weren't shocked because they know Joffrey and the royal family, but other guests were disconcerted in secret. 

The more I think about it, the less weird the cloaking seems. Joffrey feels entitled to do as he pleases, no matter the social acceptability or logical sense of it, and for the most part his court lets him. 

@Lizard Princess the more I think about it, I see it as that he is king, and can do as he pleases. It's purely a matter of personal preference, not what is socially acceptable, as we have seen before with Ned's execution and the ordered beatings of his "beloved" Sansa. He has always seen himself as a Lannister and further aligns himself as so by cloaking his new betrothed in the red of his House

Archived