Rogue One: 2 Rebellious 2 Fail

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 hour ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I've just had a thought in the middle of my OT marathon - will Rogue One ditch the title crawl?

With the anthology films jumping about randomly in time, an opening crawl to establish how each one fits into the wider universe seems pretty much essential to me.

The opening title crawl is just such an iconic part of the Star Wars film for me that i think it would be odd not having it. Especially with Rogue One seemingly being very different in tone to the rest of the films, I think they should keep it to reiterate that "Yes, this is different, but it is still a Star Wars film"

Well the thing that made me think about it was the title. It's "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story", not "Star Wars Rogue One" - would that affect the order of the title crawl? Will the first words to burst onto screen still be "Star Wars"? It's not that I dislike the title crawl, I'm just wondering if it'll be around forever (I'm confident the episode numbers will be dropped at some point after IX).

I don't buy into the argument that the title crawl is necessary to establish the setting if the anthology films jump around - you can easily achieve the same thing with dialogue, which is almost always more engaging than reading.

Will the first words to burst onto screen still be "Star Wars"?

And will they be accompanied by the customary music?

I don't buy into the argument that the title crawl is necessary to establish the setting if the anthology films jump around - you can easily achieve the same thing with dialogue, which is almost always more engaging than reading.

To an extent, but "this takes place shortly before X happens" is tricky to fit into dialogue. And there will be people seeing Rogue One who haven't seen anything else except Force Awakens - how would the movie make it clear to those viewers that this is set much earlier in the timeline? A title crawl might not be strictly necessary, but it seems like far too useful a tradition to drop.

Yeah, I don't think people will tire of it and I don't think they'll ever drop it.

I can see it going either way, though. One argument is "it's not Star Wars without the opening crawl!". The other side is they might want to "reserve" it for the main numbered episodes - it highlights the fact that these movies are a little different (and the fact that the main "episodes" are that little bit more special).

I've thought about this for a while, to be honest, whether they might drop it.

I hope they don't, honestly. The title crawl is iconic in the way that the James Bond openings (shooting at the camera) and Indiana Jones openings (the Paramountains) are. It's cool and it helps drive the "feel" of Star Wars, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Here's an article discussing the Rogue One characters: http://collider.com/star-wars-rogue-one-darth-vader-images-cast-plot-characters/

He does seem quite prominent in the collage picture for him not to be in it at all. He should at least feature more than Luke did in TFA.

I was initially skeptical as some of the human heads in the artwork looked a bit photoshopped but it seems genuine.

I quite like the alien designs but the droid seems a bit unimaginative to me. Guess it boils down to the character of the droid.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

He does seem quite prominent in the collage picture for him not to be in it at all. He should at least feature more than Luke did in TFA.

I was initially skeptical as some of the human heads in the artwork looked a bit photoshopped but it seems genuine.

I quite like the alien designs but the droid seems a bit unimaginative to me. Guess it boils down to the character of the droid.

It's Alan Tudyk so I'm not too worried.

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

It's Alan Tudyk so I'm not too worried.

He was pretty good in "I robot". Still, the script needs to provide some character for Tudyk to work with. I'm guessing it could be interesting to see how a battle droid thinks compared to the service ones we're used to seeing. As long as he doesn't shout "Roger, Roger!" all the time

6 hours ago, red snow said:

He was pretty good in "I robot". Still, the script needs to provide some character for Tudyk to work with. I'm guessing it could be interesting to see how a battle droid thinks compared to the service ones we're used to seeing. As long as he doesn't shout "Roger, Roger!" all the time

Explanation: two per cent probability that the miniature organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted. That may be wishful thinking on my part, master.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Disney decided to mess with Rogue One

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/disney-orders-reshoots-star-wars-stand-alone-rogue-004710690.html

Much of the cast and director Gareth Edwards will regroup in mid-June for another round of shooting. The move is happening after execs screened the film and felt it was tonally off with what a “classic” Star Wars movie should feel like. The pic has not yet been tested before audiences, but one source describes the cut as having the feel of a war movie.

The goal of the reshoots will be to lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure.

Wasn't this what we were excited for? A darker Star Wars, with the feel of a war movie. smh

15 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Looks like Disney decided to mess with Rogue One

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/disney-orders-reshoots-star-wars-stand-alone-rogue-004710690.html

Wasn't this what we were excited for? A darker Star Wars, with the feel of a war movie. smh

Yeah... I thought that was the entire point of the standalones. 

:bang: 

I'm not going to criticize anything this studio does until the product is out there. Disney has been hitting film after film out of the park. If they want the guy who shot Godzilla to make a movie better, I'm not going to complain yet. I wish someone would have made him reshoot that.

Thinking more on this, I'm even more upset about the news.

I thought the entire point of the standalone movies was that they could go for a different feel from the standard Star Wars movies. I think this is a very bad move on Disney’s part. The reason that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has gotten so much traction is that each movie can have its own feel. Winter Soldier was an espionage film like a Jason Bourne movie. Ant-man was a heist flick like the Italian Job. Guardians of the Galaxy was a space opera. They are all superhero movies, but they switch up the feel and you don’t get tired of the format.

I was really hoping that the plan with Star Wars was to keep the numbered films feeling like Star Wars while the side stories could explore different feelings and formats. This really bums me out.

Maybe the tone went too far in the war movie direction. Give that this movie will dove tail into Episode 4, I can see them wanting to make it not completely different. Also, this will be the first Anthology film. Makes sense they want to take baby steps away from the main films, visually.

Looking forward to R1 regardless.

11 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Thinking more on this, I'm even more upset about the news.

I thought the entire point of the standalone movies was that they could go for a different feel from the standard Star Wars movies. I think this is a very bad move on Disney’s part. The reason that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has gotten so much traction is that each movie can have its own feel. Winter Soldier was an espionage film like a Jason Bourne movie. Ant-man was a heist flick like the Italian Job. Guardians of the Galaxy was a space opera. They are all superhero movies, but they switch up the feel and you don’t get tired of the format.

I was really hoping that the plan with Star Wars was to keep the numbered films feeling like Star Wars while the side stories could explore different feelings and formats. This really bums me out.

If the goal is to bring Rouge One more in line in terms of "tone" with the classic Star Wars expectations, then this doesn't have to be a bad thing.  All of those Marvel movies are different in terms of base genre they're emulating,  but they all have a similar tone. You know you're watching a Marvel movie. 

I'm with Howdy. Until it hits the actual screen and I can see the finished product, the Powers-That-Be at Marvel have earned a little bit of trust from me.

Archived