Rogue One: 2 Rebellious 2 Fail

Mr. Chatywin et al.

• 2 weeks later...

Character names and details have been released.

I liked this write up on Donnie Yen's character:

Chirrut Imwe (Donnie Yen)

Pronounced chi-RUT, he’s no Jedi, but he’s devoted to their ways and has used his spirituality to overcome his blindness and become a formidable warrior. “Chirrut falls into the category of being a warrior monk,” says Kennedy. “He very much still believes in everything the Jedi were about.” He maintains that belief even though the Jedi are no longer there to protect the galaxy. As director Gareth Edwards puts it: "This idea that magical beings are going to come and save us is going away, and it’s up to normal, everyday people to take a stand to stop evil from dominating the world.”

Its the sort of thing that really makes sense.  Even with the Jedi dieing out, it makes sense that in the galaxy there would be some who still adhered to their way of life.

And I'm going to put the description of Forrest Whittaker's character behind the spoiler curtain just in case:

Spoiler

Saw Gerrera (Forest Whitaker)

This character has a past that Star Wars completists will recognize immediately when they see his name, even if he looks very different than the way they've seen him before. (He even looks different from when we saw him in the teaser trailer.) There's so much to say about this character, we’re going to break out a separate on him and his history in The Clone Wars.

That has a lot of interesting implications in my book.

30 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Character names and details have been released.

I liked this write up on Donnie Yen's character:

Its the sort of thing that really makes sense.  Even with the Jedi dieing out, it makes sense that in the galaxy there would be some who still adhered to their way of life.

And I'm going to put the description of Forrest Whittaker's character behind the spoiler curtain just in case:

Hide contents

Saw Gerrera (Forest Whitaker)

This character has a past that Star Wars completists will recognize immediately when they see his name, even if he looks very different than the way they've seen him before. (He even looks different from when we saw him in the teaser trailer.) There's so much to say about this character, we’re going to break out a separate on him and his history in The Clone Wars.

That has a lot of interesting implications in my book.

Am I right that this is the first instance of one of the tv characters transitioning to a film? 

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Reveal hidden contents

Am I right that this is the first instance of one of the tv characters transitioning to a film? 

Yes, which is why I think it's huge.

56 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yes, which is why I think it's huge.

Even moreso given clone wars wasn't under the Disney umbrella. Gives me a lot of hope for the rebel characters turning up in some of the films down the road. I guess Freddie Prince Jr could almost play Kanaan. Although I haven't seen the actor in a long time so he could look more able to play Jabb as far as i know.

Love the reveal about Forrest Whitaker's character. I didn't recognize his name until I read the full article, because there were just too many characters to pick from, but solid choice nonetheless.

Interested about the other characters, in particular the pilot guy. On a scale of 1 to Poe Dameron, I wonder where he'll fall. 

I had figured that it'd be like Marvel where it was a one way street. This is a really encouraging sign. I'd love to see or at least hear mention of an Inquisitor in the movie. I feel like that would give Rebels a lot more weight, without having to actually include the TV show's crew. 

It'd be cool to have cameo walk ons from the Rebels crew.

Or better yet, have a surprise appearance of Ashoka to take on Vader. One. Last. Time....

Ok, maybe not. But background cameos are welcome.

13 hours ago, Myrddin said:

It'd be cool to have cameo walk ons from the Rebels crew.

Or better yet, have a surprise appearance of Ashoka to take on Vader. One. Last. Time....

Ok, maybe not. But background cameos are welcome.

I don't think having her fight Vader would necessarily be the way to go, but Saw Gerrera has a connection to her after all. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if there are other characters in it that they keep under wraps until it comes out. Vader is a big one that lots of people were going to ask about because he's too obvious, so it's reasonable they felt they needed to confirm in or out.

ETA: For that matter, another character who has a connection and whose fate is unknown is Lux Bonteri I think? He was Senator for Onderon, rather than rebelling against the Empire but who knows what happened after that and he has a connection with both Ahsoka and Saw.  Characters like this are a way to bring across TV show characters without it feeling like "huzzah, look at this character you're totally supposed to know, but have no idea who it is because you haven't watched the shows" - they can just play whatever role they play in the movie and that presence stands on its own.

4 hours ago, DjourouLoveMe? said:

I'm curious as to why, even though we now know who he is, Mads' character is still being kept under wraps as regards images. Seems likely he's a high-up in the Imperial forces, right? Don't want to reveal his uniform?

The character reveal suggested he may be more of the civilian type.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:07 PM, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I've just had a thought in the middle of my OT marathon - will Rogue One ditch the title crawl? I think it will - if they're releasing one every year I think people will tire of it and the anthology films are a great way to start phasing it out along with the episode numbers.

You may be right after all... Disney doesn't know if Rogue One should have an opening title crawl.

7 hours ago, DjourouLoveMe? said:

I'm curious as to why, even though we now know who he is, Mads' character is still being kept under wraps as regards images. Seems likely he's a high-up in the Imperial forces, right? Don't want to reveal his uniform?

They compared him to Oppenheimer. He's not in the military, but it seems he designed the Death Star or some key component of it. 

56 minutes ago, RumHam said:

They compared him to Oppenheimer. He's not in the military, but it seems he designed the Death Star or some key component of it. 

Something small, perhaps? Like a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port? ;)

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Something small, perhaps? Like a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port? ;)

Admiral Motti: Well, I mean, there's this little hole. It was kind of an aesthetic choice by the architect. And if you shoot a laser into this hole, the station blows up.

Stewie (Darth Vader): Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! That sounds like a pretty big design flaw, then.

Admiral Motti: No, no, the hole's only two meters across.

Mayor Adam West (Grand Moff Tarkin): Well, that's no bigger than a womp rat.

Admiral Motti: Exactly. And even to get within range of it, you have to skim along this whole trench. It's not a big deal.

Stewie (Darth Vader): Can't we board it up or, you know, put some plywood over it or something?

Admiral Motti: Well, that would look terrible. I mean, we gotta think about resale.

Archived