Rogue One: 2 Rebellious 2 Fail

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I knew this was debuting last night, but had work. Just read you folks' hyper-excited responses and was skeptical. Holy crap, you were all so right. What a superb trailer. The earlier ones were exciting, sure, but not really compelling. That had to have been one of the best trailers I've ever seen. (As an aside, I love that some movie trailers can be totally brilliant, only to have the movie disappoint. But that's for another thread)

Amazing, amazing trailer. I'm just as pumped for this as I am for VIII.

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I know.  I wonder what the inspiration for the sound is?  It almost sounds like an Elephant's bellow.

No idea where it came from but it's an example of the underrated genius of Ben Burtt. The sound effects in Star Wars are just as iconic as the images.

21 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Amazing, amazing trailer. I'm just as pumped for this as I am for VIII.

No idea where it came from but it's an example of the underrated genius of Ben Burtt. The sound effects in Star Wars are just as iconic as the images.

Agreed.  I know that the sound of an AT-AT's foot hitting the ground is taken from the sound of a chunk of steel being cut in half.

That trailer was well worth the wait and massive tease a few weeks earlier. Loved the final shot of Jyn and the Tie Fighter.

This talk about sound effects has reminded me of the book, The Sounds of Star Wars. https://www.amazon.com/Sounds-Star-Wars-Jonathan-Rinzler/dp/0811875466/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278070787&sr=8-2

9 minutes ago, Tinker Tanner said:

Is there any other species in this other than humans? I've looked at both trailers and it looks like the rebels are all human, same as the empire. There isnt even any aliens in any of the backgrounds, which is very strange for astar wars movie.

Well we have a droid, at least.

And if you think to IV and V, we really didn't see all that many aliens in the Rebel Alliance anyway.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Well we have a droid, at least.

And if you think to IV and V, we really didn't see all that many aliens in the Rebel Alliance anyway.

Racists didn't even give Chewie a medal.

:angry: 

15 hours ago, Tinker Tanner said:

Is there any other species in this other than humans? I've looked at both trailers and it looks like the rebels are all human, same as the empire. There isnt even any aliens in any of the backgrounds, which is very strange for astar wars movie.

Well, there's this guy (or gal...who knows, really) -

http://collider.com/rogue-one-space-monkey/

On 19 July 2016 at 5:39 AM, RumHam said:

I'd just point out that it's possible they transmitted the plans and then died ensuring the transmission got through. Or even that Tudyk's droid character is the sole survivor who delivers the plans, only because Vader couldn't detect him with the force. Still you're probably right and Disney doesn't want such a bleak film. That's basically what I'm concerned about, that it was envisioned as this dark war movie and then some idiots they picked up in American malls reacted negatively in test screenings and now they've done re-shoots to give it a happier ending. (See: Blade Runner)  

It's only bleak of you like the rebels, personally I'm hoping they're all horrifically wiped out :D .

I do wonder how big they'll go with Vader, and his powers. We've seen Kylo Ren do stuff Vader hasn't already and he's not even proper sith yet. I think they've got to up his powers here and just vaguely handwave why he didn't use them in the original trilogy.

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I do wonder how big they'll go with Vader, and his powers. We've seen Kylo Ren do stuff Vader hasn't already and he's not even proper sith yet. I think they've got to up his powers here and just vaguely handwave why he didn't use them in the original trilogy.

I predict there will be a lot of hand waving about a great many things, or hopefully some believable explanations. U-Wings, dark troopers, those imperial shuttles with two wing sets, that rocket launcher seemingly more effective against AT-ATs than any artillery piece the Rebels had on Hoth, and the planet Jedha.

On 8/13/2016 at 9:34 AM, HokieStone said:

Well, there's this guy (or gal...who knows, really) -

http://collider.com/rogue-one-space-monkey/

His name is Bistan. He is an Iakaru, an alien race that hasn't been seen by us in the universe before. We also have the announcement of Edrio Two Tubes...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/21/comic-con-star-wars-rogue-one-edrio-two-tubes

So there will be aliens in this Star Wars movie.

Liked the trailer on the whole and will certainly watch the film when it comes out, but:

Are Jyn and Mon Mothma (whose appearance looks to be a cameo/short) the only beings of female persuasion in this whole picture? Everybody else, including aliens and droids appears to be/present as male! This is a huge step back compared to TFA, and seems rather jarring and disappointing in 2016. Yes, I am grateful for the female lead, but come on!

Where are the aliens? I still can't fathom why Babylon 5 and Farscape were able to create such wonderfully expressive and well-acted  aliens in make-up and/or puppets on their shoe-string TV budgets, while financial behemoths like newer Star Wars movies keep coming short in this department. How boring that there is not enough sensawunda in the Galaxy far, far away to let aliens come front and center, instead of remaining background color/bit characters, sigh.

1 hour ago, Maia said:

Liked the trailer on the whole and will certainly watch the film when it comes out, but:

Are Jyn and Mon Mothma (whose appearance looks to be a cameo/short) the only beings of female persuasion in this whole picture? Everybody else, including aliens and droids appears to be/present as male! This is a huge step back compared to TFA, and seems rather jarring and disappointing in 2016. Yes, I am grateful for the female lead, but come on!

Where are the aliens? I still can't fathom why Babylon 5 and Farscape were able to create such wonderfully expressive and well-acted  aliens in make-up and/or puppets on their shoe-string TV budgets, while financial behemoths like newer Star Wars movies keep coming short in this department. How boring that there is not enough sensawunda in the Galaxy far, far away to let aliens come front and center, instead of remaining background color/bit characters, sigh.

the lack of aliens etc is probably down to post production. The robot wasn't featured (or hardly) in the first few trailers but is now more present as they are doing/have done the SFX. I think that's the case with some of the puppet/heavy make-up characters too. There's definitely one in the "making of" feature that hasn't featured prominently in the trailers. Then there might just be the possibility they want to save some cool stuff for the actual film. This is less likely as the promotions ramp up in Novemember/decemeber.

We need to wait and see how many of the crew have a lot of screen time but it does seem to have a lot of male characters. Not sure if it's any worse than TFA though as a similar ration was there but with Rey as the focus. There's now Rey, a female Yoda and Leia (the last two were more cameos). But I agree it's not much of a benchmark to try and at least equal.

It makes me wonder if the toy conspiracy is at play (as you mentioned in the rebels thread)

that rocket launcher seemingly more effective against AT-ATs than any artillery piece the Rebels had on Hoth

Those aren't AT-ATs. They're cargo transports that the Empire has apparently converted on the fly into war machines, and later on they are formally converted into the AT-ATs we all know and love. They're probably nowhere near as well-armoured as the later proper AT-ATs.

5 hours ago, Maia said:

It's funny how this comment is the polar opposite to what I've seen on youtube. Depressing to see people shrieking about feminazis because two films in a row have had a female lead.

8 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

It's funny how this comment is the polar opposite to what I've seen on youtube. Depressing to see people shrieking about feminazis because two films in a row have had a female lead.

Ignoring the fact that this still leaves six previous films with a male lead and at least three (if not four) to come with a male lead (Han Solo, Boba Fett, Yoda and probably Obi-Wan), with only two more planned with a female lead (Eps 8 and 9, presumably). The guys are still firmly ahead on numbers and still will be in 2020, so they don't really have anything to worry about.

Archived