Rogue One: 2 Rebellious 2 Fail

Mr. Chatywin et al.

4 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

From my point of view the Jedi are evil!

That line takes the cake for me.

'Only the Sith deal in absolutes' was my favourite.

Partly because of the hypocrisy and partly because it was Anakin saying 'if you're not with me you're my enemy', rather than seeing him murder a bunch of children, that convinced Obi-Wan that Anakin had turned evil.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

'Only the Sith deal in absolutes' was my favourite.

Partly because of the hypocrisy and partly because it was Anakin saying 'if you're not with me you're my enemy', rather than seeing him murder a bunch of children, that convinced Obi-Wan that Anakin had turned evil.

'He... killed younglings' is even better because George Lucas was too chickenshit to say 'he murdered children'.

That was actually the scene that made me rage so much.  Even at the time I watched that, when I was a much younger and less discerning viewer, I could see that scene would have worked so much better if he'd fucking let Ewan McGregor act and show it all on his face in silence instead of spitting out terrible dialogue. "Oh I can't watch!"

12 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

I have the original as number one for pure nostalgia reasons. Nothing in my life will ever give me the same experience again. Empire is probably objectively the better movie, but It has to be second in my book, which places The Force Awakens firmly in third place for me. 

I have seen TFA 26 times now. It is by far my favorite movie of the decade, and the best theatre experience I have had since I was a child. I'm expecting Rogue One to be not as much of an impact for me, but it still looks like one hell of a movie. I get more exited each and every week.

If I'm being honest I think Empire is my favourite, then RotJ,RotS,ANH,TFA,Episode I, Episode II.

6 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

If I'm being honest I think Empire is my favourite, then RotJ,RotS,ANH,TFA,Episode I, Episode II.

Don't get why some people like RotS. Placing it above TFA and ANH is madness; as several posts on this page have pointed out, the dialogue is cringe-worthy throughout. Just being the least-shit prequel doesn't make it good.

I don't want to turn the thread into another prequel hate train, so I'll say something about Rogue One as well. Not sure if it's a spoiler, so I'll put it in tags just in case.

Anyone else kind of disappointed that the desert place in the trailers is like a Jedi pilgrimage site, and that they seem to have a Force-user in the team? It's not that I'm bored with Jedi, but I had hoped that they'd use the time setting to stay away from that side of the universe (with the exception of Vader being used sparingly).

24 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Don't get why some people like RotS. Placing it above TFA and ANH is madness; as several posts on this page have pointed out, the dialogue is cringe-worthy throughout. Just being the least-shit prequel doesn't make it good.

I don't want to turn the thread into another prequel hate train, so I'll say something about Rogue One as well. Not sure if it's a spoiler, so I'll put it in tags just in case.

Reveal hidden contents

Anyone else kind of disappointed that the desert place in the trailers is like a Jedi pilgrimage site, and that they seem to have a Force-user in the team? It's not that I'm bored with Jedi, but I had hoped that they'd use the time setting to stay away from that side of the universe (with the exception of Vader being used sparingly).

RoTS has its moments, but the extended opening, Utapau and Yoda's fight with Palpatine kind diminish it.

While I definitely see the benefits of not focusing the film on force users, The Force really is synonymous with the Star Wars universe, and in canon it's an omnipresent energy throughout the universe. Not having any force sensitives at all would arguably be more egregious, especially since kyber crystals are used in the Death Star's superlaser.

29 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

RoTS has its moments, but the extended opening, Utapau and Yoda's fight with Palpatine kind diminish it.

Reveal hidden contents

While I definitely see the benefits of not focusing the film on force users, The Force really is synonymous with the Star Wars universe, and in canon it's an omnipresent energy throughout the universe. Not having any force sensitives at all would arguably be more egregious, especially since kyber crystals are used in the Death Star's superlaser.

I get that some people would be upset if there was no use of the Force in Rogue One (personally I'd be fine with it), but that's one of the advantages of having Vader in the film. I feel like the universe should be at a point where experienced smugglers like Han Solo are confident that it doesn't exist, while Imperial officers are confident enough to mock Vader to his face, so random Force-users cropping up this long after the fall of the Jedi doesn't really make sense, and diminishes Luke's importance to boot.

Furthermore I'll assume you're getting that crystal information from Rebels or the comics or something, and it's kind of an example of what I'm talking about. It doesn't make sense for the Death Star's laser to use the same technology as a lightsaber; the only reason why it does (as far as I can see) is that the writers are afraid to do anything that doesn't have anything to do with the Jedi.

54 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Reveal hidden contents

I like it because it tells the story that leads to ANH.

The problem with RotS is everything feels too rushed as essentially they had to squeeze in all of the events which led to the formation of the Empire into one film as they spent the other 2 prequels on pod races and silly love stories.

It also shows the destruction of the Jedi and the Republic and the establishment of the rule of the Sith and the Empire which is another reason I'm a fan.

2 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:
  Hide contents

I get that some people would be upset if there was no use of the Force in Rogue One (personally I'd be fine with it), but that's one of the advantages of having Vader in the film. I feel like the universe should be at a point where experienced smugglers like Han Solo are confident that it doesn't exist, while Imperial officers are confident enough to mock Vader to his face, so random Force-users cropping up this long after the fall of the Jedi doesn't really make sense, and diminishes Luke's importance to boot.

Furthermore I'll assume you're getting that crystal information from Rebels or the comics or something, and it's kind of an example of what I'm talking about. It doesn't make sense for the Death Star's laser to use the same technology as a lightsaber; the only reason why it does (as far as I can see) is that the writers are afraid to do anything that doesn't have anything to do with the Jedi.

I think this point has been made before, but the thing is, even during the golden years of the Jedi Order, the Jedi were an immensely small group of people in a galaxy with trillions of inhabitants. The vast majority of people would never have met a Jedi, and if they did, they probably looked upon them as some sort of warrior priest; it's not that people don't believe that Jedi existed, they just don't believe that they have these mystical powers. That's the same for Han as it is for poor Motti. Further to that, Force Sensitive =/= Jedi, or even a Force User in the traditional sense, and there's no indication that the guy in the trailer is particularly proficient, other than using it to help him see. 

The crystal information actually comes from The Ultimate Star Wars, which is a reference guide that was published along with TFA, although the same thing is hinted at in Rebels as well. Plus, the new books have the First Order using them in their starships as well. I disagree with you entirely though - using the crystals makes a lot of sense, firstly considering that both of these organisations are run by powerful Force users, and secondly because it's pretty sensible that a powerful object would be used in the construction of a powerful weapon.

43 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

Hide contents

I think this point has been made before, but the thing is, even during the golden years of the Jedi Order, the Jedi were an immensely small group of people in a galaxy with trillions of inhabitants. The vast majority of people would never have met a Jedi, and if they did, they probably looked upon them as some sort of warrior priest; it's not that people don't believe that Jedi existed, they just don't believe that they have these mystical powers. That's the same for Han as it is for poor Motti. Further to that, Force Sensitive =/= Jedi, or even a Force User in the traditional sense, and there's no indication that the guy in the trailer is particularly proficient, other than using it to help him see. 

The crystal information actually comes from The Ultimate Star Wars, which is a reference guide that was published along with TFA, although the same thing is hinted at in Rebels as well. Plus, the new books have the First Order using them in their starships as well. I disagree with you entirely though - using the crystals makes a lot of sense, firstly considering that both of these organisations are run by powerful Force users, and secondly because it's pretty sensible that a powerful object would be used in the construction of a powerful weapon.

The first paragraph is more or less my point though. The Jedi were an incredibly small group compared to the rest of the galaxy, and most people don't think they were anything special, but we seem incapable of having a movie were they aren't related to key plot points. I'm not saying there shouldn't be Jedi inStar Wars, obviously, I'm just saying that Rogue One provided the perfect opportunity to do something else and they didn't take it. Of course I haven't even seen the movie yet; it might not even bother me in the end.

As for the second point, I admit saying it makes no sense for them to use similar technology is an exaggeration, but the only real similarity they have is that they'e both powerful. I was under the impression that the crystals were used to turn the lightsaber's energy into a blade, so they were quite specific to the Jedi which is why they'd be treated with such reverence. If however what you say is true and the crystals are merely the energy source, and this is well known enough that the Imperial and First Order weapons/ship manufacturers are incorporating them into their designs, I think it significantly diminishes the mystique of the crystals and calls into question why the Jedi thought they were a Big Deal. It's sensible that a powerful object would be used in the construction of a powerful weapon. It's not sensible that seemingly every powerful weapon uses the same powerful object in the name of fan service.

I don't want to sound too grouchy. This is only a minor quibble.

11 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The first paragraph is more or less my point though. The Jedi were an incredibly small group compared to the rest of the galaxy, and most people don't think they were anything special, but we seem incapable of having a movie were they aren't related to key plot points. I'm not saying there shouldn't be Jedi inStar Wars, obviously, I'm just saying that Rogue One provided the perfect opportunity to do something else and they didn't take it. Of course I haven't even seen the movie yet; it might not even bother me in the end.

As for the second point, I admit saying it makes no sense for them to use similar technology is an exaggeration, but the only real similarity they have is that they'e both powerful. I was under the impression that the crystals were used to turn the lightsaber's energy into a blade, so they were quite specific to the Jedi which is why they'd be treated with such reverence. If however what you say is true and the crystals are merely the energy source, and this is well known enough that the Imperial and First Order weapons/ship manufacturers are incorporating them into their designs, I think it significantly diminishes the mystique of the crystals and calls into question why the Jedi thought they were a Big Deal. It's sensible that a powerful object would be used in the construction of a powerful weapon. It's not sensible that seemingly every powerful weapon uses the same powerful object in the name of fan service.

I don't want to sound too grouchy. This is only a minor quibble.

I don't know why you guys are putting stuff in spoilers, but OK

Your second point - think back how the Death Star laser works. You see five (I think it's five) lasers that turn on one after another, stop at a certain point, and then the main beam proceeds from there. I know that Lucas made up some BS reason about how that works, but maybe it is because of the kyber crystals. As to the First Order, I had no idea that they used them, but they clearly didn't use them for Starkiller. Correct me if I'm wrong.  

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Hide contents

Your second point - think back how the Death Star laser works. You see five (I think it's five) lasers that turn on one after another, stop at a certain point, and then the main beam proceeds from there. I know that Lucas made up some BS reason about how that works, but maybe it is because of the kyber crystals. As to the First Order, I had no idea that they used them, but they clearly didn't use them for Starkiller. Correct me if I'm wrong.  

Just using spoiler tags because some of the information is plot-related and not in any of the trailers. Not sure I buy that explanation of the Death Star - still seems like a stretch, but whatever.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Hide contents

Still having flashbacks to some of the previous "to tag, or not to tag," debates. :P 

4 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Who is the Force-user?

Chirrut Imwe (Donnie Yen)

Pronounced chi-RUT, he’s no Jedi, but he’s devoted to their ways and has used his spirituality to overcome his blindness and become a formidable warrior. “Chirrut falls into the category of being a warrior monk,” says Kennedy. “He very much still believes in everything the Jedi were about.” He maintains that belief even though the Jedi are no longer there to protect the galaxy. As director Gareth Edwards puts it: "This idea that magical beings are going to come and save us is going away, and it’s up to normal, everyday people to take a stand to stop evil from dominating the world.”

Archived