Songs that Make Us Think of A Song of Ice and Fire

Lost Melnibonean

1 hour ago, Praetor Xyn said:

Haven't read through the topic, but these come to mind.

Alice Cooper - Poison - Cersei

Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills - Ned's betrayal / the coup

Metallica - Fade to Black - Jon's betrayal

In This Moment - The Promise - Jaime and Cersei

Slipknot - Snuff - Jaime and Cersei

Machine Head - Now We Die - A Song of Ice and Fire in a nutshell

I had always tried to match Run to the Hills to the Dothraki and the Lamb Men, but it doesn't work cause the Lamb Men don't really fight back. I like your equating with the Starks. 

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I had always tried to match Run to the Hills to the Dothraki and the Lamb Men, but it doesn't work cause the Lamb Men don't really fight back. I like your equating with the Starks. 

Specifically Ned's failed coup where the Lannister slaughter all his men and try to take Arya. They even killed Old Nan. The key line to me is "women and children a coward's attack"

42 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:

Specifically Ned's failed coup where the Lannister slaughter all his men and try to take Arya. They even killed Old Nan. The key line to me is "women and children a coward's attack"

I often wonder about that line. Does it mean soldier blue attack the women and children and cowards, or we're down to women and children and cowards so strap up tight everybody and get in there and fight? I think the latter. 

8 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I often wonder about that line. Does it mean soldier blue attack the women and children and cowards, or we're down to women and children and cowards so strap up tight everybody and get in there and fight? I think the latter. 

I like both your interpretation which is probably correct and mine that it's cowardly to attack defenseless women and children, which the soldiers did.

Great question! Songs relating to ASOIAF/GoT is a topic I think about a lot actually. I have several ideas:

"Hey You" by Pink Floyd reminds me of the situation up at the Wall where Jon is trying to unite the living against the dead ("together we stand, divided we fall")

"Behind Blue Eyes" by the Who makes me think of Jaime Lannister, even though he has green eyes. 

"Yesterday" by the Beatles reminds me of the Starks, as well as others whose lives were better before the events of ASOIAF.

"Viva La Vida" by Coldplay makes me think of the fall of the Targaryen dynasty.

By the way, this is my first post to the ASOIAF forum, although I'm a longtime reader. There are so many interesting ideas here. Have a nice day, everyone!

3 minutes ago, Needle of Ice said:

Great question! Songs relating to ASOIAF/GoT is a topic I think about a lot actually. I have several ideas:

"Hey You" by Pink Floyd reminds me of the situation up at the Wall where Jon is trying to unite the living against the dead ("together we stand, divided we fall")

"Behind Blue Eyes" by the Who makes me think of Jaime Lannister, even though he has green eyes. 

"Yesterday" by the Beatles reminds me of the Starks, as well as others whose lives were better before the events of ASOIAF.

"Viva La Vida" by Coldplay makes me think of the fall of the Targaryen dynasty.

By the way, this is my first post to the ASOIAF forum, although I'm a longtime reader. There are so many interesting ideas here. Have a nice day, everyone!

Have a nice day. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Every time I hear Lana Del Rey's "Off to the Races" I think of Daenerys, Drogo, and Dothraki horses racing, especially these lyrics:

My old man is a bad man but
I can't deny the way he holds my hand
And he grabs me, he has me by my heart
He doesn't mind I have a Las Vegas past
He doesn't mind I have an LA crass way about me
He loves me with every beat of his cocaine heart

Light of my life, fire of my loins
Be a good baby, do what I want
Light of my life, fire of my loins
Give me them gold coins, give me them coins

My old man is a tough man but
He's got a soul as sweet as blood red jam
And he shows me, he knows me
Every inch of my tar black soul
He doesn't mind I have a flat broke down life
In fact he says he thinks it's why he might like about me
Admires me, the way I roll like a Rolling Stone

Light of his life, fire of his loins
Keep me forever, tell me you own me
Light of your life, fire of your loins
Tell me you own me, give me them coins

Yo I'm off to the races, laces
Leather on my waist is tight and I am fallin' down
I can see your face is shameless, Cipriani's basement
Love you but I'm going down
God I'm so crazy, baby, I'm sorry that I'm misbehaving
I'm your little harlot, starlet, Queen of Coney Island
Raising hell all over town
Sorry 'bout it

What a fun topic.  Lovin some of these offerings.   I throw in a couple...

Zep's Hey Hey What Can I Do for Jamie

Jackson 5's Dancin' Machine for Selmy

the last is because I thought it's what you were referring to in a long ago thread, @Lost Melnibonean, The Door's Riders on the Storm for Gregor Clegane.

On 4/8/2016 at 6:42 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

I always picture Edd yelling "Ye can't have any pudding 'till ye finish yer meat!"

Ahahahahahaha. I curtsey to you.

I always wonder if GRRM had the tune of House of the Rising Sun in his head when he wrote the Rains of Castamere.

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

What a fun topic.  Lovin some of these offerings.   I throw in a couple...

Zep's Hey Hey What Can I Do for Jamie

Jackson 5's Dancin' Machine for Selmy

the last is because I thought it's what you were referring to in a long ago thread, @Lost Melnibonean, The Door's Riders on the Storm for Gregor Clegane.

I don't remember...

(I like Rapid Fire by Judas Priest for Gregor...

Pounding the world like a battering ram
Forging the furnace for the final grand slam
Chopping away at the source soon the course will be done
Leaving a trail of destruction that's second to none
Hammering anvils straining muscle and might
Shattering blows crashing browbeating fright
Fast devastating and desolating the curse
Blasting the cannons of truth through each man of this earth
Wielding the axe comes the one culmination
That's always seemed certain to bring down the curtain on greed
Sifting the good from the bad it's the age for the rage
Of the dogs which must fall to the just and be free
Now grate for the vandals who trampled and sampled
Till this place conditioned brought forth demolition to war
The slipping and sliding corrosive subsiding
That withered and waned till the world seemed all drained fills the bay
Pounding the world like a battering ram
Forging the furnace for the final grand slam
Chopping away at the source soon the course will be done
Leaving a trail of destruction that's second to none
Second to none

1 hour ago, Therae said:

Ahahahahahaha. I curtsey to you.

I always wonder if GRRM had the tune of House of the Rising Sun in his head when he wrote the Rains of Castamere.

Oh, I could totally see that. And the dude's old enough to remember listening to that on AM radio when the Animals recorded that song. 

I'd be kind of surprised if Iron Maiden doesn't have a song that's actually based on the series (I mean, Dune got one; I'd like to think Steve Harris would read GRRM). Or do they? I kind of lost track of Maiden after Piece of Mind (speaking of being old enough...).

Oh, fwiw, I thought the same as @Praetor Xyn that attacking women and children was cowardly.

Once Upon a December reminds me of the Stark kids.

Anastasia(just like the the kids) has lost every thing... her family, her home, her dreams.

I love this song...it's so sad and beautiful.

Dancing bears,
Painted wings,
Things I almost remember,
And a song someone sings,
Once upon a December.
Someone holds me safe and warm,
Horses prance through a silver storm,
Figures dancing gracefully across my memory

Far away,
Long ago,
Glowing dim as an ember,
Things my heart used to know,
Things it yearns to remember
And a song someone sings
Once upon a December

On 3/11/2017 at 11:43 AM, winter daughter said:

Once Upon a December reminds me of the Stark kids.

<snip

Used to sing that to my niece, changing it to September for her. :D

This evening my daughter has been listening to (and singing along with) What Does the Fox Say? Annoying as seven hells, but I found myself thinking of House Florent.

On 09/04/2016 at 2:06 AM, daccu65 said:

Well, for me it's the obvious, Pink Floyd's  "Another Brick in the Wall" whenever I'm reading about new recruits taking their oaths to the Night's Watch. 

I like that interpretation. The Night's Watch and their ridiculous oath are just another brick in the wall. another brick in the wall of fanaticism and oppression and Westeros' ridiculous, primitive idea of justice and "honour".

I'm afraid that my song association aren't nearly as original.

"Little Lion Man" by Mumford and sons reminds me of Jaime Lannister once his character development kicks in, particularly after he has lost his hand. Many people just think of Tyrion with this one, solely because of the title I assume, because the lyrics fit Jaime better imho.

Weep for yourself, my man,
You'll never be what is in your heart ("
That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur, but someplace along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead")

Weep little lion man,
You're not as brave as you were at the start 
(if I may interpret this particular use of brave as fearless)

and of course:

Now learn from your mother or else spend your days biting your own neck  (the scene where he has the dream/vision of Joanna's ghost, Jaime better realize what she, or his subconscious, was saying here and act accordingly, it's not too late for redemption)

"Shallot" and "What If" by Emily Autumn fit my interpretation of Lyanna. "Shallot" is her in relation to Rhaegar and why she might have gone with him, while "What if"describes her relationship (or lack thereof) with Robert.

You don't know me
Never will, never will
I'm outside your picture frame
And the glass is breaking now
You can't see me
Never will, never will

If you're never gonna see

What if I'm a crowded desert,
Too much pain with little pleasure?
What if I'm the nicest place you never want to go?
(Robert loved the idea of Lyanna, not Lyanna herself imho and they would not have been happy together)

"King and Lionheart" by Monsters and Men kind of reminds me of the relationship between Tyrion and Jaime and of different parts in their respective journeys. It mostly reminds me of Tyrion during the Blackwater and Jaime during his imprisonment, but also of their current situations and of Tyrion's ordeal at the Eyrie ("Howling Ghosts they reappear, in mountains that are stacked with fear")

"As the world comes to an end, I'll be there to hold your hand" that's basically what I hope their fate will be, though I think only Jaime will die.

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Used to sing that to my niece, changing it to September for her. :D

This evening my daughter has been listening to (and singing along with) What Does the Fox Say? Annoying as seven hells, but I found myself thinking of House Florent.

Have you seen the video. I swear the old guy is Pycelle...

https://youtu.be/jofNR_WkoCE

Archived