Mercy is from Braavos

Lommy's Shade

I was re-reading the Mercy chapter and I just noticed something. When Arya first recognizes Raff, Daena asks if she know him and Arya thinks, "'No.' Mercy had been born and bred in Braavos, how could she know some Westerosi?"

But back when the Kindly Man originally sends Arya to Brusco, he tells her, "You are marked by the way you speak, so you must be some girl of Westeros..."

Her Braavosi must have improved markedly if she can now impersonate a native. It's a relatively minor point, but I haven't seen anyone mention it.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:10 PM, Lommy's Shade said:

I was re-reading the Mercy chapter and I just noticed something. When Arya first recognizes Raff, Daena asks if she know him and Arya thinks, "'No.' Mercy had been born and bred in Braavos, how could she know some Westerosi?"

But back when the Kindly Man originally sends Arya to Brusco, he tells her, "You are marked by the way you speak, so you must be some girl of Westeros..."

Her Braavosi must have improved markedly if she can now impersonate a native. It's a relatively minor point, but I haven't seen anyone mention it.

She spent several months with Brusco, speaking nothing but Baavosi, which would probably significantly improve her fluency in any case.  She is also young and learns quickly, which would help.

Also, Braavos gives the impression of being a multi-cultural place, with people from all over, so a slight accent wouldn't necessarily brand her as an outsider.

On 10. 4. 2016 at 5:10 AM, Lommy's Shade said:

Yes IMO it shows that she improved remarkably. She is truly learning mummery, in real life actors are people who are best at copying accents, FM would need to go even beyond that, though I wonder if their magic offer a little help.

You don't have to be an exceptional person either just young enough. I knew kids (6-12) who did not speak a word of english and by being immersed in public american school (with english being primary language) and by having american friends and watching american tv in english, within 2 months could understand and speak/read fluently in english with only the slightest accent, within a year - the only accent they had was that of locale (aka Californian, South, Boston, NY/Brooklyn, etc). And THAT considering that they still spoke with their family in their native language. 

Arya in AFFC/ADWD is no more than 11-12, she is forced to talk in language of Braavos exclusively for at least a period of 3-6 mths, I guarantee her language skills are equal that of Braavos native, no surprise there.

On 4/10/2016 at 8:10 PM, Lommy's Shade said:

It takes roughly two months of total immersion to be able to speak in a foreign language After that you can spend time working on your accent 

Archived