Bloodline (Netflix)

AncalagonTheBlack

I quite liked that trailer. It seemed like they revealed a lot but I was ambivalent about where they could take the story in the second season and ultimately this trailer looked pretty good and seems to show that the writers know exactly what they are doing. Very much looking forward to this.

• 1 month later...

Well it's a slow burn. I just finished Episode 4 and I'm enjoying it so far. 

Not a real surprise but I am absolutely loving the way they're handling Ben Mendehlson. Loved the 2 scenes where he's narrating John's internal conflict-- first in the car after Lowry's blackmail and then again during the raid. Also I swear that dude was born with a cigarette in his mouth.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I watched the first episode last night. It was fine, but I was not as enamored with the first season as most people were.

Curious, what didn't you like? Or rather, what were the downsides of the show.

Do not like this second season for o so many reasons, not to mention the general stupidity of everything and everyone.  Here's a production that just reeks of terrific talent and resouces, and this is the best they can come up with.  So dull, so dreary, so blahblahblah.  Season 2 clinches that the Rayburn family is worthy contender with all the other most despised television families, most of them on Got.

I wish Peaky Blinders got a couple more episodes and this season of Bloodlines had only 6.

Just finished it today. First off, with Danny gone I had low expectations coming in, he made the whole thing tick and without him in the present there was always going to be big shoes to fill. While it's still a competent season, the quality did dip quite a lot. If season 1 was 9/10 this one was a 7 at best. I don't mind that it's slow, I love slow burners but the basic plot points and repetitiveness is what i'm disappointed in. It's hard to talk about without spoilers so

Spoiler

So much of this season's character woes could have been simple solved by John not running for sheriff. It's what sparked the Danny re-investigation, when Diaz was already convinced that Lowry was behind it.  The fact that John ran for sheriff in the first place made little sense... here's a guy going from one crisis to another with pressure pressure pressure everywhere and yet he still decides to go ahead with it, and why? he mentions to characters that he hasn't said why, but I don't think the audience knew either, made little sense.

Speaking of pressure, it just kept building and building there was no let up, and as a viewer it wore me down a bit... the season could have really done with a few moments to decompress or something to lighten the mood. Season 1 had a few such moments, which then made Danny's interactions pack a weightier punch as he knocked down the siblinmgs a peg or two.

Megan the accomplished attorney running the election campaign didn't make a lick of sense logically, but they wrote it that way so she stays in the know and brings in the sleazy rich investor who's going to be season 3's chief antagonist.

There's a lot of stuff I have issues with, but ultimately it boils down to a beautifully shot show with a stellar cast not adding up to the sum of its parts due do a poor plot and weak writing.

Watched four more episodes, it's not as good as last year for sure.  Don't care about John Leguizamo or the kid or the baby mama.

6 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Curious, what didn't you like? Or rather, what were the downsides of the show.

The acting was top-notch, but other than that nothing was exceptional.  I didn't care for any of the characters and the story - blacksheep puts entire family at risk, including law enforcement sibling, by dealing drugs - haven't seen that before!  I didn't hate it, I just thought it was average.

The final two episodes are a payoff for Bloodline, but nevertheless, there's no excuse for the 8 previous episodes to be so -- nothing.  Everyone is remains unjustified and poor excuses for human beings, all of them well worthy of going down.

23 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The final two episodes are a payoff for Bloodline, but nevertheless, there's no excuse for the 8 previous episodes to be so -- nothing.  Everyone is remains unjustified and poor excuses for human beings, all of them well worthy of going down.

They were good, but the rest of the season was way too meandering.  Shady as shit Beau Bridges was the best thing about this season imo.  

Hopefully he'll breathe some life into season 3.  

Are they going to end every season with a new family member killing somebody?  I just didn't buy Kevin killing Marco after he flipped his switch from wanting to confess.  And all the sudden he realizes that Marco isn't going to bury a murder because he used to bang their sister?

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

They were good, but the rest of the season was way too meandering.  Shady as shit Beau Bridges was the best thing about this season imo.  

Hide contents

Hopefully he'll breathe some life into season 3.  

Are they going to end every season with a new family member killing somebody?  I just didn't buy Kevin killing Marco after he flipped his switch from wanting to confess.  And all the sudden he realizes that Marco isn't going to bury a murder because he used to bang their sister?

After all, the Rayburns are in the running as the most self-involved family ever -- if it's good for Rayburns, of course, you, whoever-you-are, will fall in line and sacrifice your own well-being for me, for us, because, well, we're RAYBURNS -- RAYBURNS FOREVER!  Hey I don't come to work, don't call don't write, hey it was MY FAM, what the eff do you mean I'm fired?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2016 at 6:05 PM, dooog said:

Just finished it today. First off, with Danny gone I had low expectations coming in, he made the whole thing tick and without him in the present there was always going to be big shoes to fill. While it's still a competent season, the quality did dip quite a lot. If season 1 was 9/10 this one was a 7 at best...

There's a lot of stuff I have issues with, but ultimately it boils down to a beautifully shot show with a stellar cast not adding up to the sum of its parts due do a poor plot and weak writing.

This is what I feared. I haven't seen S2 yet, so I didn't read the spoilers in your original post b/c obviously, but I felt the same when I heard about S2 of this series. Danny was the linchpin of S1 and without him I had very low expectations and very little desire for S2 and a continuation of the Rayburn's drama. And that's why I'll likely be waiting a while before I get around to S2. And if it's a "7" at best I can definitely see myself skipping some episodes b/c there is too much 9/10 and 10/10 TV out there I still gotta see. "Poor plot and weak writing" . . . ain't nobody got time for that. ;)

On 6/16/2016 at 2:12 PM, NestorMakhnosLovechild said:

Season 1 of Bloodlines is, for my money, one of the best things that Netflix has produced. Season 2 is terrible. I'm about six episodes in and I'm not even sure I can finish the season. 

I agree 100%.

I'm on episode 7 I think and I'm damn near finished. The Rayburn siblings have somehow become complete and utter dunces between the end of season 1 and the start of this one. It's obviously bad decision after obviously bad decision. Real shame, this series had a lot of promise. But I do remember thinking even at the end of season 1 that they really should have just left it at that. 

Finished the season today. What a bunch of crap. The pacing of this season was godawful. Damn near nothing happens for the first eight episodes and just when things are finally starting to get interesting it's "Haha, better tune in next year!" 

Nothing is resolved, no questions are answered, there's no payoff. I'm usually fine with cliffhangers but this is a whole other level. 

Can I just say the thing that's been bothering me the most throughout this whole season: John is the biggest fucking moron in the world. You just murdered your brother, you're in a very sensitive position where you should probably be doing everything you can to draw attention away from yourself...and you decide to run for public office. Against a guy who straight up told you he would "destroy you" if you opposed him. 

WHAT?!

If he had stayed the fuck out of it Aguirre wouldn't have bothered keeping the investigation open. ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS NOTHING, JOHN!

Finished this a couple of days ago and colour me deeply disappointed. I was not expecting season 2 to hit the levels of season 1 but neither did I expect such a dip in quality. The pacing of the season was terrible with a weak plot and writing.

As others have already pointed out, John running for Sheriff did not make a lick of sense.

I have no faith that season 3 will get anywhere near the quality of season 1 and fully expect it to be at season 2 level or worse. I'm definitely done with this show.

• 1 month later...

Season 1  was amazing. Ben Mendelsohn was just incredible as Danny. The rest of the cast were great too. I have two eps left of season 2 and if it wasnt for my partner I wouldnt be watching it. Its a total chore to have to sit through it, the pacing is so bad. I doubt I will bother with season 3.

Archived