GRRM changes the story

AngeL0L

Hi, maybe this question has been asked again. I just searched and didnt find anything. If there is a similar topic just send me the link please.

Ok, so my question is this: Will GRRM change the story of the upcoming books (especially Winds of Winter) due to the different version of the series? I mean is there any way he would change his story because of D&D or other reasons? And when I'm talking about other reasons I mean everything you can imagine. Or is he going to write the story as he originally plans to and without getting influenced by anything else and especially D&D?

If he is a gardener type of writer like he claims, his story will change depending on what works and what doesn't.  It won't be stuck to his initial concept but grow organically as it goes along.  So it might change depending on what the show does depending on how much Martin likes or dislikes certain plot points, but it will definitely end up different in at least subtle ways from his initial plans if not in dramatic ways.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

He'll keep writing his story, the one he's been telling for a long time regardless of whatever Mr Benioff and Mr Weiss do.

I could almost feel the underlined contempt directed to certain individuals and entire situation :)

I do believe GRRM has a very good idea about what will happen with his characters. That said, nothing is set in stone and he may change his mind about some things, but that is just part of the creative process. I doubt Martin will be influenced, at least in the big way, by anything show does, as it is proving to be far narrow-minded than GRRM has ever been. So, any possible changes that may happen in the future are just Martin's doing.

6 minutes ago, Risto said:

I could almost feel the underlined contempt directed to certain individuals and entire situation :)

I do believe GRRM has a very good idea about what will happen with his characters. That said, nothing is set in stone and he may change his mind about some things, but that is just part of the creative process. I doubt Martin will be influenced, at least in the big way, by anything show does, as it is proving to be far narrow-minded than GRRM has ever been. So, any possible changes that may happen in the future are just Martin's doing.

That's what I meant! There are many things that I expect aren't set in stone yet, things Martin may decide to do one way or another. But will he feel he has to change his story because of the show? No. Fucking. Way. :P

1 hour ago, Risto said:

I agree. Although it is equally possible that the show gives him an idea, which is fine. But he will not alter the book just because the show did something, it would have to make sense for the story and Martin's plans. 

21 minutes ago, JonisHenryTudor said:

I agree. Although it is equally possible that the show gives him an idea, which is fine. But he will not alter the book just because the show did something, it would have to make sense for the story and Martin's plans. 

No, sorry, the show won't give him any ideas unless Martin decides to take all hallucinogenic drugs that exist at once, while doing alternating shots of tequila, whisky, and petrol. Because that's the only way that maybe an "original" show idea will make sense. 

I do not think that he will change his story, because of the TV series. With that being said, the writers of the TV series have left hints that the books and the TV series will have the same ending and that the ending was made known to them.

49 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

No, sorry, the show won't give him any ideas unless Martin decides to take all hallucinogenic drugs that exist at once, while doing alternating shots of tequila, whisky, and petrol. Because that's the only way that maybe an "original" show idea will make sense. 

Martin already said he was going to change Osha's character in the books to match Natalia Tena's Osha in the show because he enjoyed her portrayal better than his own version.

He said he wanted to expand Osha's part because he loved Natalia Tena. And I loved it when he said that, Tena is indeed awesome as Osha. He also asked Mr Benioff and Mr Weiss to change Jeyne's name (I imagine they picked "Talisa") because the characters are completely different. Now, is he going to add Olly as a book character? I think not. The cast is absolutely brilliant, the show's original ideas and characters? Not so much. 

No. If kissedbyfire has not made it clear enough, then maybe George's words will help.

"I’m just going to tell my story, and they’re telling their story and adapting my books, and we shall see."

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/will-hbo-finish-game-thrones-last-book-comes-anythings-possible-says-george-r-r-martin/

or

"“The show doesn’t influence what I write,” he said, “other than adding to my stress.”

http://winteriscoming.net/2016/03/11/game-of-thrones-doesnt-influence-what-george-r-r-martin-writes-and-other-tidbits/

Plus, when writing the tv scripts, Dave and Dan only allow themselves and two other writers in the room with them. Those being either Bryan Cogman, Dave Hill, or Vanessa Taylor. George has not been in there since, I believe, season 4. None for season 5 and 6. He was not even at the premier last night in LA.

So there is very little to no chance that he is letting the show affect his book work when his involvement has been limited.

We know GRRM is still adding twists and turns to the plot.  Some of which will effect major characters a.

However I don't think he'll change anything to spite the show.  Like for example GRRM told D and D what happened to Shireen - he's not going to change that fundamentally (though of course he show changed the details).  

7 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Hahaha I didn't mean a direct lift. Just an inspirational moment. Have you ever had a moment where you thought of something triggered by your surroundings, even if it was directly related? 

6 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

He said he wanted to expand Osha's part because he loved Natalia Tena. And I loved it when he said that, Tena is indeed awesome as Osha. 

This is more or less what I was getting at. 

Archived