TOWER OF JOY AND ARTHUR DAYNE ARE HERE!!!

goomba

6 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Given the casting call makes a big deal about the sword, I highly doubt the first clip is Dayne.  Possibly the one from the second trailer, but it again doesn't really match the sword from the casting call.

Of course, there are 3 knights that are supposed to be there.  I have no doubt we'll see Dayne.  I just don't think either of the two we've seen are him.

Dayne isn't any of them. He wll perform the greatest part of the battle

I hope the scene is not some trance vision by Bran. I think it'd be better if it's a flashback by the last living witness : Howland Reed. He will lost his purpose if his only story is being told by someone else.

I also think he'd be telling it to Sansa and he'd be the one to save Sansa from the Boltons. There's no way he'd tell it to anyone, unless it's to Ned's daughter.

Dayne is the dual wielder.  There was a clip awhile back of someone who'd managed to backpack to the set location and caught some of the filming.  They posted a video of a dual wielder up against the Ned look-alike who is suddenly taken from behind. It's clear they wanted to differentiate a supposed legendary swordsman to the general public and the way they thought to do this was, as always, dual wielding.  As to the armor, it's pretty clearly kingsguard armor, more in line with how it is described in the books, as being white.  It would just go to figure that the Lannisters would change it to gold, so that's actually kind of a nice touch, but you'll notice it's the same style of armor, helm and all, just a different color and including a Targaryen sigil.

On 13 April 2016 at 0:20 AM, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

I hope thats not Arthur Dayne. Specially dual wielding.

Why would you need two swords when you have Dawn?

And now we know for sure. Not that the dual wielding fighter is Dayne necessarily (although the I think it's him) but that he actually carries and draws two longswords at once. :lol:

Doesn't draw both from two scabbards in this scene as I thought. 

Dual wielding was practised back in the day. It's also a common, often exaggerated, trope in fiction to accentuate the'badassery' of a character. It really takes an excellent fighter to be able to do so with success. GRRM has had Bronn dual wield two swords fighting the clansmen as noted by Catelyn, Shagga with two axes and Daario with his arakh and dagger. If book readers haven't frowned upon those, it's only fair to have the same stance regarding KG doing the same in the show. Or just admit to bias 

Anyway, greatsword fighting is slow and doesn't make for a very compelling sight. I'd not mind if there's no Dawn. Shiny, milky white sword and shiny white armour (after a few months in the middle of nowhere). Honestly, Martin?

On 13 April 2016 at 5:21 AM, StoneyTargaryen said:

I know and am excited for his appearance and the ToJ flashback, but I don't want to believe that is Arthur Dayne. First of all, why isn't he in Kingsguard armor? In the show (not the books) all Kingsguard wear the gold armor, all of them. If they were trying to avoid detection, why wear identifying armor at all, especially Targ related armor? They would be in Dorne, I'm sure any Dornish house would help the Sword of the Morning conceal himself with plain armor. Then the reveal would be even better. And secondly, more importantly, is that regular looking sword supposed to be Dawn? If it is, I am done with the show because that it just pathetic compared to their rendering of the Other's blades.

Lol you will watch, all you whiners always do.

As for the flash scene, bloody awesome and i can't wait! Hopefully they make the scene last a bit, as i want to see him properly embarrass Ned's party.

6 minutes ago, Darksky said:

Dual wielding was practised back in the day. It's also a common, often exaggerated, trope in fiction to accentuate the'badassery' of a character. It really takes an excellent fighter to be able to do so with success. GRRM has had Bronn dual wield two swords fighting the clansmen as noted by Catelyn, Shagga with two axes and Daario with his arakh and dagger. If book readers haven't frowned upon those, it's only fair to have the same stance regarding KG doing the same in the show. Or just admit to bias 

Anyway, greatsword fighting is slow and doesn't make for a very compelling sight. I'd not mind if there's no Dawn. Shiny, milky white sword and shiny white armour (after a few months in the middle of nowhere). Honestly, Martin?

I laughed at Shagga, although I haven't complained about it because I don't take the clansmen seriously at all.  I never noticed Bronn dual wielding, and a smaller off-hand weapon is not a problem (see your Drogo, or even the show's Carl fooking Tanner with his knives).  It's the off-hand longsword that creates the problem, plus yet another change that serves no point besides what they thinks look cool from the books.  

On April 16, 2016 at 10:59 AM, b09boy said:

Dayne is the dual wielder.  There was a clip awhile back of someone who'd managed to backpack to the set location and caught some of the filming.  They posted a video of a dual wielder up against the Ned look-alike who is suddenly taken from behind. It's clear they wanted to differentiate a supposed legendary swordsman to the general public and the way they thought to do this was, as always, dual wielding.  As to the armor, it's pretty clearly kingsguard armor, more in line with how it is described in the books, as being white.  It would just go to figure that the Lannisters would change it to gold, so that's actually kind of a nice touch, but you'll notice it's the same style of armor, helm and all, just a different color and including a Targaryen sigil.

The clip is no proof at all as to who the dual wielded is. We've really only seen 2 of the kingsguard members in the trailers and clips so my guess is either we actually haven't seen Dayne, or they decided to change their names for the show. (Similar to Jeyne Westerling/Talisa). I highly doubt the dual wielded is 'Arthur Dayne' though. 

I also believe Dayne is the double wielder, that latest tease shoots him as indeed being the "boss" of the situation. 

Otherwise the only other possibility is that Dayne is posted right at the entrance of the tower or Lynna's chamber inside, as in being the last line of defence. It would stress the importance of the situation, that the most chivalrous knight of the realm would stay at the door of the person he's guarding rather than fight with his fellow kingsguard.

5 hours ago, The Lizard King said:

Arthur Dayne and his nickname, "The Sword of the Morning" was mentioned in the Kingsguard Book of Brothers that was read by Joffrey to Jaime at the beginning of S4.  Arthur Dayne is definitely going to be in the Tower of Joy scene/flashback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBb15PQn-gQ

And the name of that episode was "Two Swords". Sigh :dunno:

8 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

I laughed at Shagga, although I haven't complained about it because I don't take the clansmen seriously at all.  I never noticed Bronn dual wielding, and a smaller off-hand weapon is not a problem (see your Drogo, or even the show's Carl fooking Tanner with his knives).  It's the off-hand longsword that creates the problem, plus yet another change that serves no point besides what they thinks look cool from the books.  

You are correct. It would be way cooler on screen and nothing more.

It's easy to forget that Bronn fought with two swords because he only did that in one short skirmish with the Mountain Clans when he had his sword out and was fighting on horseback, fell off then grabbed another fallen guys sword. He carried a short dagger and a long sword at all other times. I only remember this small detail because I re-listened to this part of the book a few days ago while driving.

Shagga had an axe and a club and then an axe and a shield and then, yes, an axe and an axe. But axes are not long swords to get tangled in each other. And, when Shagga has his two axes, he throws one while he cleaves other people in the chest. Then he retrieves his thrown axe and bangs the two together to celebrate :cheers:

Again, Daario with an arakh and dagger is a long sword and a small dagger. They can be used independently for different fighting styles or together in a slash/jab/parry type fighting.

None of these examples have a swordsman simultaneously draw two long swords and wield them without them getting in the way of each other while he is poked in the eyes like a stooge.

:blink:

Dawn will be important to the story in the last 2 books. To leave it out is lazy.  A contestant on Face Off could build a realistic prop. 

Dawn is the badge the proves Dayne's fighting prowess as it is not given to anything save the greatest of the Daynes and Ned's carrying it back to the family is proof of it's importance. 

Not nitpicking.  Not finding excuses to hate.  Simple truths.  You want a badass dual wielder, use another of the KG present.  Dayne uses Dawn. 

22 hours ago, W. Wrycthen said:

Yes, the TOJ ... it's kewl and all that, but is it really all caps kewl?

ABSOLUTELY!!! :D

this scene can potentially tie alot of the stuff that we only theorized so far!!

such as jon's real parentage, and the relationship between lyanna and rhaegar.

AND to top it off, we get to see ARTHUR DAYNE!!!!

The guy was like the Michael Jordan of sword fighting and bad-assery, Jamie Lannister refers to him as if he was a super hero!!!!

And if we get to see Dayne, then we get to see possibly the best fight scene that this show will ever produce!!!!

The few sconds of clips we have already looks better than Oberin vs Mountain!!! :D

3 hours ago, CrastorsLivingSon said:

:blink:

Dawn will be important to the story in the last 2 books. To leave it out is lazy.  A contestant on Face Off could build a realistic prop. 

Dawn is the badge the proves Dayne's fighting prowess as it is not given to anything save the greatest of the Daynes and Ned's carrying it back to the family is proof of it's importance. 

Not nitpicking.  Not finding excuses to hate.  Simple truths.  You want a badass dual wielder, use another of the KG present.  Dayne uses Dawn. 

i Agree!!!!!!

I still believe that we will see Dawn, as there is no reason to leave it out in the first place.

i personally believe Dawne might have only been used in 1 on 1 situations, which explains why "Maybe'Dayne" is dual-weilding :DDDD

Ned himself didn't actually fight with Ice, as it was too big for him :DDDD

Ned's older brother Brandon was probability capable of weilding it in 1 on 1 situations though, as he was stated to be bigger than Ned.

1 hour ago, goomba said:

i Agree!!!!!!

I still believe that we will see Dawn, as there is no reason to leave it out in the first place.

i personally believe Dawne might have only been used in 1 on 1 situations, which explains why "Maybe'Dayne" is dual-weilding :DDDD

Ned himself didn't actually fight with Ice, as it was too big for him :DDDD

Ned's older brother Brandon was probability capable of weilding it in 1 on 1 situations though, as he was stated to be bigger than Ned.

ned was like 16 years old too...

Archived