TOWER OF JOY AND ARTHUR DAYNE ARE HERE!!!

goomba

15 minutes ago, W. Wrycthen said:

I would be far more excited to see Darkstar. What a slimeball ...

When the casting announcements started coming out last summer (?) and they called for someone like a Dayne, my first thought went to Darkstar because of the (awful) Dorne plot. He only has one of the slimiest lines in the series :devil:, "Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night."

I'd kinda like to see him on screen.

35 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

ned was like 16 years old too...

Haha indeed friend. :)

but even as an adult Ned is described as meh/average especially in height, which explains why even as an adult he strictly made Ice an executioner's weapon.

Had he been well over 6 feet like Brandon, he might have used it more in battle, especially in a 1 on 1 :D

Dayne slayed the Smiling Knight with Dawn, which is why i believe these great swords might have been used in battle only for 1 on 1 situations which makes sense.

Which is why we see "maybe dayne" in the clips dual-weilding since he is fighting multiple opponents and Dawn is not needed/impractical. 

Let's hope he brings out that bad boy when he fights the young wolf Ned!!! :D 

On 4/20/2016 at 9:47 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

You are correct. It would be way cooler on screen and nothing more.

It's easy to forget that Bronn fought with two swords because he only did that in one short skirmish with the Mountain Clans when he had his sword out and was fighting on horseback, fell off then grabbed another fallen guys sword. He carried a short dagger and a long sword at all other times. I only remember this small detail because I re-listened to this part of the book a few days ago while driving.

Shagga had an axe and a club and then an axe and a shield and then, yes, an axe and an axe. But axes are not long swords to get tangled in each other. And, when Shagga has his two axes, he throws one while he cleaves other people in the chest. Then he retrieves his thrown axe and bangs the two together to celebrate :cheers:

Again, Daario with an arakh and dagger is a long sword and a small dagger. They can be used independently for different fighting styles or together in a slash/jab/parry type fighting.

None of these examples have a swordsman simultaneously draw two long swords and wield them without them getting in the way of each other while he is poked in the eyes like a stooge.

ahahaha, how did i miss this? shagga is awesome :D

I am BEYOND PSYCHED to see the Tower of Joy.  I hope they reveal it early on this season. Would be a dream come true if they use it as a cold open via Bran warging the way season 5 opened with Cersei's prophesy flashback to set the tone.

Besides confirming or at least strongly hinting towards R + L = ???, I'm excited to see how the whole TOJ thing connects to Ashara Dayne too. 

Not sure why people above are saying that theyre not in kingsguard gear.  The Targaryen crest is telling enough, and possibly the goldcloak style was a Baratheon thing. As for the dual swords, could just be for theatrics.  Or the real Arthur Dayne wielded Dawn for ceremonial purposes and not the dirty business of actual combat.

• 2 weeks later...

also it seems there will be only 2 kingsguard from the preview, kinda disappointing because i was hoping they would depict this as accurately as possible from the books.

they better not screw this up!!!!

I too am excited about the Tower of Joy flashback because the potential of outright stating Jon's parentage is huge and it will reshape the rest of the story.  I also enjoyed Arthur Dayne and his sword Dawn in the books and hope they do him and the sword justice in the show.  

13 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

I too am excited about the Tower of Joy flashback because the potential of outright stating Jon's parentage is huge and it will reshape the rest of the story.  I also enjoyed Arthur Dayne and his sword Dawn in the books and hope they do him and the sword justice in the show.  

Better prepare yourself for Jon Dayne

On 4/13/2016 at 1:42 AM, Mr Smith said:

People complaining about the Targ armour or the dual-wielding or the lack of Dawn need a seriously healthy dose of perspective. The important thing about this scene is we get some impression that he's here to guard someone, and that because he's guarding someone very important, he wasn't able to be on the Trident, or in King's Landing defending the King, or across the narrow sea defending the King's children. If they get that right, who cares what armour he's wearing? Maybe the Kingsguard armour changed between the time of Aerys and the time of Robert in the show's cannon, and what harm would that do? And if Dawn is so important to Arthur Dayne's character, then he's not much of a character.

Seriously people, wake up, and look at the big picture. Just be happy we're getting this sequence at all.

Hooray for Sanity!!!!!

Also... Is it me or does young Ned look like a Lannister in this sequence? Isn't that kind of strange considering hair darkens as you grow older, yet younger Ned had brown (Stark) hair but ToJ Ned has  blonde hair? 

21 hours ago, Valhalla Morghulis said:

It's in the next episode, Ned, with his thick Sheffield acent, v Dayne...

Dual wielding with two longswords in a fight against multiple people in an open environment is the way... of the retarded.

If you are an actual battle-hardened knight like Dayne is supposed to be, and you are not extremely retarded, you will try to bring along a long weapon with a long reach that will allow you to keep your opponents at bay, have a certain degree of control over the fight and choose when and where to strike.

A long, two handed sword would be a good choice if your opponents seem to be carrying one-handed swords and shields. You know, a sword like Dawn as described in the books.

Also from Ned's flashback in the book, I've always imagined the Tower of Joy scene as a quite solemn and sad piece, the final act of both a brutal bloody civil war and a human tragedy. I would have imagined Stark and his companions to arrive on horseback near the tower entrance, where the kingsguards would be waiting. Stern, rugged, tired faces. From that preview... it looks quite uninspired to say the least.

On 5/2/2016 at 1:28 PM, Alcarin said:

1. No white cloaks??? Its an important part of Kingsguard overall.

2. Why only 2 kingsguard? :o 

They better not screw this up!

haha you're like my doppleganger :D  :o 

5 hours ago, BootySeeker said:

Dual wielding with two longswords in a fight against multiple people in an open environment is the way... of the retarded.

If you are an actual battle-hardened knight like Dayne is supposed to be, and you are not extremely retarded, you will try to bring along a long weapon with a long reach that will allow you to keep your opponents at bay, have a certain degree of control over the fight and choose when and where to strike.

A long, two handed sword would be a good choice if your opponents seem to be carrying one-handed swords and shields. You know, a sword like Dawn as described in the books.

Also from Ned's flashback in the book, I've always imagined the Tower of Joy scene as a quite solemn and sad piece, the final act of both a brutal bloody civil war and a human tragedy. I would have imagined Stark and his companions to arrive on horseback near the tower entrance, where the kingsguards would be waiting. Stern, rugged, tired faces. From that preview... it looks quite uninspired to say the least.

indeed! i really do prefer that they have Dawn and made this exactly like in the books as much possible, even if they think dual-weidling will look cooler or make for a better fight scene.

i mean, they had ice, making a facking Dawn replica should be easy! :o And it's one of the most awe-inspiring swords from the books.

even a 1 second shot of Dawne would be great! :D 

Something like where Dayne stabs Ned in the leg with one longsword and in the shoulder with the other longsword.

Then he goes to pick up Dawn from the ground and unsheathe it to deliver the final blow to a helpless Ned only to get attacked from behind by Howland! now that would be perfect! :D  

Archived