'Britannia': upcoming 'sword-and-sandal' historical epic tv show

AncalagonTheBlack

Not a lot of details yet but it's been confirmed:

Kelly Reilly is set to board event TV series Britannia, which charts the Roman invasion of what would become Great Britain in 43 A.D. and the rise of iconic female warrior Boudicca.  The series is now set up at Sky. Reilly plays the key character of Kerra.

The eight-part series, which is now set up at Sky, will follow the growing relationship between Boudicca and Roman Consul Cassius who ultimately unite to lead an insurgency against Roman Emperor Claudius. Reilly plays the key character of Kerra.

Britannia is being pitched as a high-end earthy swords and sandals show that can appeal to audiences. Kari Skogland (Vikings; House Of Cards) is directing. Star Wars‘ Rick McCallum is producing. Sky’s Anne Mensah exec produces alongside One Three Television’s Anne Thomopoulos, Vertigo’s James Richardson and Terry Cafolla.

Filming starts in May.

3 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Not a lot of details yet but it's been confirmed:

besides that it's now at sky :)

The Romans are always cool and it's nice to see them not based around Rome or the end of the repbulic/beginning of the empire. Although this is at the beginning of the empire still. The good thing is that there's more than enough room for them to make up some drama - I've listened to debates from historians questioning she ever existed. I hope they include the Druid war as there's some craxy stuff happened there.

Part of me hopes it's a done in one season show as it'll keep things moving nicely. I guess they could make it an anthology if successful but Cornwell's shows are being adapted and would probably cover a lot of ground. In terms of Roman - Britain

Admiral Carausius and Alectus could work if they want to stick to Romans as well.

There's also a roman who some speculate could have been an Arthur type character (artorius castus). Again it may be redundant with a TV version of Winter King underway.

• 3 months later...

Latest news is that Amazon US is on board to co-produce

Plus some casting news: Zoë Wanamaker (Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone) and David Morrissey (The Walking Dead) have been cast.Hugo Speer (The Musketeers), Nikolaj Lie Kaas (The Killing), Stanley Weber (Outlander), Eleanor Worthington-Cox (The Enfield Haunting) and Ian McDiarmid (Star Wars) also star.

Finally,a new plot summary:

Britannia is set in 43AD as the Roman Imperial Army – determined and terrified in equal measure – returns to crush the Celtic heart of Britannia – a mysterious land ruled by wild warrior women and powerful druids who can channel the powerful forces of the underworld.

Kelly Reilly and Zoë Wanamaker lead the cast as arch rivals Kerra and Antedia, who must set their differences to one side in order to combat the terrifying Roman invasion; while David Morrissey plays Aulus Plautius, who is leading the Roman invasion..

Lol Madam Hooch as a wild warrior woman? XD

Anyway, it could be good. I have to mimick @Astromech, Kelly Reilly is a nice gateway drug into this project. I hope it's a little more grounded than the synopsis makes out. 

If it's Boudicca and the Romans, it can't have a happy ending.  :crying:

I must be missing something here because this doesn't make sense:

I guess they could make it an anthology if successful but Cornwell's shows are being adapted and would probably cover a lot of ground. In terms of Roman - Britain

since The Last Kingdom from Cornwell's Saxon Tales takes place long after the Romans, in King Alfred's England.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

First trailer is out.Video quality isn't great though.

Is it the same as this one?  The one you linked isn't available to watch in the UK

Huh, the trailer has apparently been out for a whole month and this is the first I've seen it mentioned. 

10 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Is it the same as this one?  The one you linked isn't available to watch in the UK

Huh, the trailer has apparently been out for a whole month and this is the first I've seen it mentioned. 

I haven't heard anything about it either. I think the only reason I've heard about the show at all is due to Ancalagon.

The trailer does look potentially interesting.

Archived