Will Brienne end ASOIAF a virgin?

forod

What do you think? Not exactly a topic of major discussion, but the idea entered my mind the other day and I've found it really interesting to think about. Nearly every major POV character, old enough to have had them, has had sexual relations depicted, and Brienne has had several near misses already. 

It's really interesting to wonder whether GRRM would align Brienne with sex. Would it fit her character development? The truth is, we don't really know. Brienne's arc is easily of the hardest to interpret. She is slowly becoming less innocent and more of an adult, but simultaneously she has retained her knightly, idealistic values throughout the books. Where her story is heading is also anyone's guess, as is what that may mean for her development. 

Anyway, what do you all think?

Brienne is as much of a sexual character as the others

Her story is stuffed with sexual subtext...particularly her story with Jaime. Just re-read their swordfight in ASoS, and there is much more besides. I think she will lose her virginity to him sooner or later.

Brienne's goodness does not depend on her virginity, GRRM makes sure we don't make this kind of infortunate assumption. She will become a greyer character, and more mature, and that is of course part of the process. 

Considering she has just had half her face chewed off by Biter, I would say yes, she is likely to end the series a virgin.

As to the idea that Jaime and Brienne are destined for a romantic relationship, you guys miss the plot completely. Jaime's arousal in the bath house was largely due to the grotesque nature of the situation, kind of like some people get aroused at crash scenes, or during situations of extreme peril. He had just has hand chopped off, after days of suffering was suddenly in a hot bath, feeling pleasant sensations wash over him at last, and a naked woman - however grotesque - climbs into the tub with him.

It was a moment of weirdness depicted by Martin, not a hint that he is geniunely romantically attracted to her. Her face being bitten off in the last book just carries on this grotesque theme. So the answer is no, Jaime is not going to sleep with her. So yes, she will probably die a virgin.

If she dies soon or becomes someone's Kings/Queensguard, than yes. Maybe. If Jaime doesn't get there sooner.

But I see her ending up marrying Ser Hyle Hunt or some other chap of the 'she is rich, think of England' mentality.

I bet she has sex, hopefully the consensual kind.  Will it be with a woman?  Not many lesbian scenes so far but GRRM has touched on about every kind of sex.

2 hours ago, HairGrowsBack said:

Brienne is as much of a sexual character as the others

Her story is stuffed with sexual subtext...particularly her story with Jaime. Just re-read their swordfight in ASoS, and there is much more besides. I think she will lose her virginity to him sooner or later.

Brienne's goodness does not depend on her virginity, GRRM makes sure we don't make this kind of infortunate assumption. She will become a greyer character, and more mature, and that is of course part of the process. 

Totally agree.

And she is The Maid of Tarth. The only Lady with the Maid as a nickname.

2 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Considering she has just had half her face chewed off by Biter, I would say yes, she is likely to end the series a virgin.

As to the idea that Jaime and Brienne are destined for a romantic relationship, you guys miss the plot completely. Jaime's arousal in the bath house was largely due to the grotesque nature of the situation, kind of like some people get aroused at crash scenes, or during situations of extreme peril. He had just has hand chopped off, after days of suffering was suddenly in a hot bath, feeling pleasant sensations wash over him at last, and a naked woman - however grotesque - climbs into the tub with him.

It was a moment of weirdness depicted by Martin, not a hint that he is geniunely romantically attracted to her. Her face being bitten off in the last book just carries on this grotesque theme. So the answer is no, Jaime is not going to sleep with her. So yes, she will probably die a virgin.

Could be, I can buy that. But that doesn't mean she is not attracted sexually (at that moment) to her. If he had been in a bath with another girl, maybe we wouldn't assume it's only because the atypical situation. So, 50/50 here. Probably you are more right here.

And for the second bold.....if he wasn't...it has changed afterwards, he is attracted to her romantically by the end of Dance. Although that doesn't mean they will have a romance (but I think so, personally).

Doubt it. I personally believe that she will die in childbirth, due to people repeatedly telling her that a woman's battle is in the birthing bed and her stating that no one sings songs about the women who die in childbirth.

I'd be heartbroken, but I can't see her being taken down in battle.

I think she will likely die in the next book. There is a good chance that she won't even leave BwB alive for the second time, though of course a lot can happen before her demise even then. I'm kind of undecided 60/40 virgin/not virgin. Small note, aside of Jaime there is also Hyle Hunt

3 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Agree with you about Jaime & Brienne. I don't even think the bathhouse scene is even deep as complicated as you discribed. I think it's purely this is a man who hasn't had sex in months and he sees a naked woman so he got hard. It would have happened with any woman. It just happened to be Brienne. That doesn't mean it's the start of some grand romantic relationship. Even though I think Brienne wants Jaime in that way, I'm not seeing it from Jaime's point of view. He doesn't seem to view her romantically at all to me.

In response to the OP, I think its difficult to say. I don't think she will be raped and as stated above I don't think Jaime's an option. I think Ser Hyle is the only option we know of at this point, assuming he's alive (I don't think we see him actually die do we?) and Brienne doesn't just decide she'll be with a random, which I think is unlikely.  

Well it's GRRM so every character might die soon.

If Brienne dies soon(ish), she'll die  virgin cause I can't see any way of her loosing her virginity without being properly married.

She has stopped being raped way to often for it to happen now and she is way to honorbound to have Sex without being married.

If she doesn't die soon everything is possible.

2 hours ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

I bet she has sex, hopefully the consensual kind.  Will it be with a woman?  Not many lesbian scenes so far but GRRM has touched on about every kind of sex.

But Brienne is straight

4 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

You might have a point if the bathhouse was the end of it, but it's not. There is so much more pointing to their deep connection with each other afterwards; "I dreamed of you", Brienne imagining Jaime's face instead of Renly's, Jaime butch slapping Red Ronnet for insulting Brienne, to name a few of the more obvious ones. The bathhouse is just the beginning, the moment Jaime opens up and Brienne begins to see past the surface

6 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

You might have a point if the bathhouse was the end of it, but it's not. There is so much more pointing to their deep connection with each other afterwards; "I dreamed of you", Brienne imagining Jaime's face instead of Renly's, Jaime butch slapping Red Ronnet for insulting Brienne, to name a few of the more obvious ones. The bathhouse is just the beginning, the moment Jaime opens up and Brienne begins to see past the surface

While I agree that Jaime see past the surface with Brienne, nothing he does seem romantic. He starts to respect her and regard her as his equal and begins to defend her because of that. But I haven't seen anything indicating romantic attraction on his part. I think they will have a deep bond like best friends not romantic partners. 

Archived