[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Reprecussions - Season 6, Tally-Ho

Ran

1 hour ago, A Ghost of Someone said:
13 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I am confused and I do not know what to do about it.

bemused,here...Sorry ! I'm experiencing a glitch. This 1 hour ago box keeps popping up. I can't get rid of it. Every time I try to reply ,it keeps coming up, and the cursor won't function outside of it . I finally got it to go away after many attempts, by just typing something in there and posting. Next post was OK,  but now, I see it's back again. I'm going to go and do my laundry and hope it's better later...:blush: ETA: I'm not trying to put words in your mouth ;)

57 minutes ago, Morna The Maid said:

Ian McKellen was particularily notorious for this and used to carry a huge one-volume copy of LOTR around the set, until PJ used to dread when he saw him approaching with his finger stuck in the book marking a passage. And they listened to the fans too. PJ was origionally going to make Arwen like Eowyn, a warrior, and their was a huge fan outcry, they said Arwen can be a boss.ass.b?:) in more tan ways than swinging a sword. She can have womanly strenght and be Aragorn's supportin other ways. And they listened. it's too bad there's not that rapport on this production as well.

Of course then he created Tauriel ;) (But I do love the original trilogy.) 

I believe Sir Christopher Lee had met Tolkien and revered his work. (Lee was a genuine real-life badass, who was an intelligence officer during WWII and fought as an infantry officer at Monte Cassino and tracked down Nazi war criminals after the war - now that is an actor resume one doesn't often see!) And the Fellowship actors all got tattoos of the Elven 9 whereas I get the feeling there does seem to be an atmosphere of almost willed ignorance (discouragement from reading the books; showrunners discourage input from actors - McIlhenny; no communication about the characters to the actors (Dillane).

Ser Pounce would be a better leader than Boss Ass Bitch. Show Dolorous Edd stripped of his dolorousity as he is would be better. Cheese Boy would be better. Shireen's wooden stag would be better. Dany's cruel dress would be better. 

Speaking of LotR, the House of Black & White's hall of faces seemed like they took notes from the mines of Moria.

I know we're dealing with a larger than life world but that seemed like the most impractical storage system they could've devised. I wonder if the Faceless Men have a catalogue system? Middle-aged male Summer Islander: that'll be column 37, row 15, facing east, better take a ladder. Or do they just wander around until they spot one that takes their fancy then shimmy up the columns to get it?

They keep talking about how much the budget has increased but given how they chose to invest in things like that set (with it's individually sculpted faces - which were then lit so poorly that the prop department must've wept) and the throwaway shots of Castle Stokeworth, rather than say, the direwolves, it seems more like they need an accountant.

It'll be interesting to see if HBO caves into D&D's demands for shorter seasons but with the same budget - that's not going to be appealing in terms of subscriber retention and DVD sales.

1 hour ago, A Ghost of Someone said:
16 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Bemused, can you ctrl+click on the annoying box? Because that's how you remove a quote from your post.

No, it's not working today, though it has before. I had to quote you and reply inside the offending box. More apologies to AGoS, he'll be getting a notification every time I say anything until I get it fixed.

On 13.4.2016 at 0:50 AM, JonSnow4President said:

I'm so hyped for the new stuff now! New-found lines of Gilgamesh, my ass.

ETA: Didn't mean to quote anyone, no idea what happened.

1 hour ago, Morna The Maid said:

Oh and Sweetsunray, thanks for that link and info. Wow that was great! It only goes to show you what a lot can be got from a little, if you had an atmosphere of support and encouragment that let you feel as if you were a part of the process, not a...cog in the machine, this is the kind of thing that could and would be done by the props team if they knew they were working for guys who likewise wanted to see Dawn onscreen at last.

I remember one story that came out of the LOTR Extended Edition DVD Appendices. At one point Peter and a few members of his team got so caught up in the excitement of bringing LOTR to the screen that they indulged in the concept that they were archeologists excavating sites from the ancient civilizations of Tolkien's prehistoric Europe (which was his conceit of Middle-Earth), the Shire/ancient England, the land of the Dwarfs/Scotland, Rohan/Scandanavia,  Minas Tirith/Italy and so on, and they made a mock video of themselves in white lab coats giving a presentation with the props team gingerly holding scuffed props like they were priceless artifacts. (Think that Gilgamesh video.)

Wow, what a bunch of geeks who truly loved Westeros and Essos could do with their medieval props. Dawn Age/Age of Heroes/etc.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, it's crazy how GOT deals with the original. These guys are a phone call away from George. What wouldn't any of the people working on PJ's LOTR would have given if Tolkien had actually been a phone call away? I wasn't too happy with Return, but there's no way PJ could have had success without the Tolkien society watching over his shoulder like hawks to guard Tolkien's legacy... And nobody finds it weird or snobbism that the Tolkien society and relatives make sure that any product made (whether it be cardgames, movies, etc) are approved by them. Anyone who'd claim they're "improving" Tolkien, or happy to be "free" from the books would get nailed by reviwers to the cross. Could you imagine Aragorn with 2 swords and not his ancestral sword? It's just nuts. It's not just "details". It's canon lore. We don't know much about Dayne, but Dayne and Dawn goes "hand in hand". Ned Stark effing returned it to Starfall.

Not sure if everyone's seen this, so...

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/Game_of_Thrones_Death_Poll_Episode_1?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It's going to be hard, picking ONE death per episode since, well, it's going to be a bloodbath apparently. 

All righty then, Mr Cogman, if you say so...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/20/game-thrones-season-6-interview

"So overall, what’s been the greatest challenge this season?"

Not letting everyone get overwhelmed by the size of it and keeping your eye on the prize – the clarity of the characters and their motivations. You can obsess about a sequence or a line of action, but if you lose sight of the story then none of it matters. So I think about keeping everything grounded and remembering what we want to achieve and to set up for the future. The good news is we’ve been doing this for a long time now and everybody knows what they’re doing. Everybody involved knows how to tell this story at this point. There is no show like this on the planet. And anybody who tells you there is hasn’t worked on this show. 

3 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

My experience with the main books being brought to screen has killed my desire to see anyone try it for D&E, Princess and the Queen or even the kids book the Ice Dragon. 

However, I am glad to see the Double D's don't want to touch it :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

My experience with the main books being brought to screen has killed my desire to see anyone try it for D&E, Princess and the Queen or even the kids book the Ice Dragon. 

Well, I'd love to see an adaptation of D & E. Mind you, I'm saying a proper adaptation, not the merciless butchery of it. :)

Especially with Martin at the helm. 

I guess Cogman believes in telling, not showing?

You can tell me the characters and their motivations are clear and maybe they even are during the course of a single episode ... But then we move on to the next episode and they've changed their tune about what they want and what makes them tick. It's not just the book characters made to do things they don't or wouldn't do, though in most cases m. It seems to rob the story of its richness when they are changed for no real reason; it's the show characters acting completely differently from what has previously been established on the show. *coughShaecough*

53 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, I'd love to see an adaptation of D & E. Mind you, I'm saying a proper adaptation, not the merciless butchery of it. :)

That is the only way I could conceive of it being worth a watch.

Can't you just imagine seeing a "young" Bloodraven on screen? Or Aerion Brightflame? Or Rohanne Webber? The Sworn Sword was actually kind of emotional and the stable scene at the end was great.

Sigh! I would love to see that. Just with someone respectful, as you mention.

59 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Only after he's finished ASOIAF!!! I don't want him to go be a showrunner or even do short films until we've gotten the "real" story that I've invested in for so many years that is disintegrating onscreen before my very eyes ;)

Something else I meant to say days ago and forgot completely... We've ranted plenty about the show getting worse and worse the more it deviates from the source material, and that is absolutely true. But there's another factor that, so far, is walking hand in hand with the show's decline in quality: the scope, the size of it; the bigger it gets, the worse it gets.

So, I'd like to remind you all that the upcoming season is not only the one that diverges the most, but it is also the "biggest" one yet. Oh. Boy. 

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I'd love to see all that! Including snotty 4-year-old Walder Frey! :D

5 minutes ago, LadySoftheart said:

Only after he's finished ASOIAF!!! I don't want him to go be a showrunner or even do short films until we've gotten the "real" story that I've invested in for so many years that is disintegrating onscreen before my very eyes ;)

LOL

I'd be fine if he's the one at helm and writing a few eps while working on ADoS. Martin doesn't strike me as someone who must retain all control, write every script, hire every single actor, pick every location, etc etc etc. :P

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

All righty then, Mr Cogman, if you say so...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/20/game-thrones-season-6-interview

"So overall, what’s been the greatest challenge this season?"

Wow. Well, they do get into the characters doing and saying the opposite of the books, so I guess this opposite thing extends to what they say, too... 

So clarity really means the hot pink fuzzy dashboard dice of the characters and their motivations. This show is just so out of this world... Like far, far out. 

Archived