[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Reprecussions - Season 6, Tally-Ho

Ran

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

Gods be good, another one:

"Sansa’s brutal marriage to Ramsay Bolton and the awful death of Shireen at the hands of her own father were among the shocks in store for fans of George R.R Martin’s books." 

Oh noes, we're spoiled, Sansa is going to teleport to WF to get raped. <_<

8 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

And according to my roman law professor an eye for an eye, ... is actually a wrong interpretation of the talio est-rule, in my criminal law I have learned the eye-for-eye is actually a way to limit revenge (only the eye and not to kill a whole bunch of people because this leads to a never ending war). 

And even in the early middle-ages they used blood money as a way to stop those idiot feuds. 

I can understand why people want to enact revenge, but even a long time ago revenge was understood by some people as a very bad idea. 

And there are several instances where GRRM does indeed speak against vengeance in the books. Yes, Frey pies might look kind of fun at first sight, but this is something very dark. (Okay, IMO, not really the killing of the Freys, more the fact they are turned into pies and given as dinner to their family). 

Yeah, Manderly went overboard, and it was eating him up, too. That's all in the books, he's showing in the stories that this is not going to make it all better, there are deep wounds there, that you are meant to pay attention to.

The show just wants hand wave revenge as empowerment. And the way they do this makes it worse, as we see with the horribleness of someone saying in that article now that Sansa has been raped, she's not a girl anymore but a woman.

There is such a thing as honor, and justice, and mercy, but on the show, honor is stupid and gets you killed, and justice is replaced with revenge, and the best story about mercy was turned into "nothing is just nothing."

30 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Heh, just noticed your sig, @Le Cygne I keep thinking Ian McShane's one-off on this show is really going to boost "American Gods." He's just terrific in everything.  

That would be great. I am still wanting to see his scenes with the Hound, I think even if the show messes it up, the actors will make it worth seeing.

50 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

That article, Brienne as "Sansa's sworn protector."

That was an offer that was not accepted, just as it was not accepted by Arya. Book Sansa has one sworn protector, and that's Sandor Clegane. Show, they went there, too. He wants to protect her.

They spend all this time on things, but then they muddy the waters. They do this all the time. They like muddy water. Viewers don't like muddy water. They can't see through the muddy water.

It's the writing that is the problem, they don't know what they are doing. If they actually paid attention to critics, they'd see that everyone is really confused. And that's not actually a good thing.

What's that old saying?  Something like "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with bullshit!"  Yeah...

6 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

And according to my roman law professor an eye for an eye, ... is actually a wrong interpretation of the talio est-rule, in my criminal law I have learned the eye-for-eye is actually a way to limit revenge (only the eye and not to kill a whole bunch of people because this leads to a never ending war). 

And even in the early middle-ages they used blood money as a way to stop those idiot feuds. 

I can understand why people want to enact revenge, but even a long time ago revenge was understood by some people as a very bad idea. 

And there are several instances where GRRM does indeed speak against vengeance in the books. Yes, Frey pies might look kind of fun at first sight, but this is something very dark. (Okay, IMO, not really the killing of the Freys, more the fact they are turned into pies and given as dinner to their family). 

Very good point.  And, yes, that makes a great deal of sense.  The "eye for an eye" thing was actually about proportional response.  That is, as a way to mitigate the very human desire to not only to get back at the other person but to get them worse than they got you!  Payback with interest, so to speak.  And I still think Confucius was right: (paraphrasing) "Before setting out for revenge you'd better dig two graves". ;) 

51 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Gods be good, another one:

"Sansa’s brutal marriage to Ramsay Bolton and the awful death of Shireen at the hands of her own father were among the shocks in store for fans of George R.R Martin’s books." 

I hate ignorant critics that make these assumptions.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Is there really a sizable portion of the GOT audience that thinks Jamie should prefer his sister over Brienne? I presume because she's "hot"...?  yikes I hope not.

Don't even know it this shallow dumb as approach works... I've seen posts about it on the book forum, but the show? Lena is gorgeous, but Gwen is lovely as well, so I'm not sure it works where the show is concerned. 

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Is there really a sizable portion of the GOT audience that thinks Jamie should prefer his sister over Brienne? I presume because she's "hot"...?  yikes I hope not.

Hell no. Show shipping goes in cycles. The show gives you basically nothing in terms of romance. A couple of trite things no one cares about. And the good romances from the books are downplayed or forgotten.

This leaves a breeding ground for shipping things just because the two actors look good together, or the show is putting them front and center (often without any purpose), but those evaporate quickly when the moment passes.

Jaime and Brienne actually have a story in the books, a good one. What happens with them and with Sansa and the Hound, another good one, is they see something in the show, then read the books for more. There's a story basis for these.

I think the show is going there, and when Larry finally removes his lips from Carol's butt, they will enjoy Jaime and Brienne. But the show shoots themselves in the foot this way. This is no way to tell stories, especially not romances.

The time apart is really important in a romance. The show characters are cardboard, they only randomly remember each other if at all. So you don't get that buildup of tension, where the audience is pulling for them to reunite.

In short, D&D&C don't know what they are doing.

16 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Honestly , apart from one or two lunatics, even show only people don't care for Jaime and Cersei. And they rooted for J/B in season 3 and 4.

Have to catch up on .... 5 pages.  You guys are busy.  LoL.  But here is actually something written that isn't all gushing; and mayhaps actually .... critical?  :blink: 

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-to-fix-what-s-wrong-with-game-of-thrones-1712355749

Concluding 3 paragraphs here for your TL;DR pleasure: (emphasis mine)

"As Game of Thrones becomes more violent and horrifying, it’s going to need more context — more attention to worldbuilding, and also more attention to character. And that means that certain types of violence, which are highly personal and intimate (you don’t need to strip someone naked to chop their head off) require even more attention to character and context, and thus should be used sparingly.

In general, I’m still incredibly excited for Game of Thrones season six — this show has the best cast on television, and when the characters are allowed to grow in ways that feel logical, it’s also one of the best political dramas ever made.

But as Thrones gets further and further away from whatever George R.R. Martin is doing in his next book, it needs to pay even more attention to adhering to the things that made Martin’s saga so great in the first place."

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

(...)

There is such a thing as honor, and justice, and mercy, but on the show, honor is stupid and gets you killed, and justice is replaced with revenge, and the best story about mercy was turned into "nothing is just nothing."

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

Very good point.  And, yes, that makes a great deal of sense.  The "eye for an eye" thing was actually about proportional response.  That is, as a way to mitigate the very human desire to not only to get back at the other person but to get them worse than they got you!  Payback with interest, so to speak.  And I still think Confucius was right: (paraphrasing) "Before setting out for revenge you'd better dig two graves". ;) 

Ellaria had it just right that the problem with vengeance that it never ends: Oberyn wanted vengeance for Elia. Now the three of you want vengeance for him. I have four daughters, I remind you. Your sisters. My Elia is fourteen, almost a woman. Obella is twelve, on the brink of maidenhood. They worship you, as Dorea and Loreza worship them. If you should die, must El and Obella seek vengeance for you, then Dorea and Loree for them? Is that how it goes, round and round forever? I ask again, where does it end?" 

Oh wait ... what did they again do with Ellaria? 

And never forget what Ned told: 

"Vengeance?" Ned said. "I thought we were speaking of justice. Burning Clegane's fields and slaughtering his people will not restore the king's peace, only your injured pride." He glanced away before the young knight could voice his outraged protest, and addressed the villagers. "People of Sherrer, I cannot give you back your homes or your crops, nor can I restore your dead to life. But perhaps I can give you some small measure of justice, in the name of our king, Robert."

Oh, wait, Ned is of course stupid!!!

I can understand why people want to have revenge. But that doesn't mean it should be condoned :dunno:.  

10 minutes ago, LazyBazooka said:

Sneaky little hobbitses...they stole it from her!

Well, we do have the added plot devices of Tyrion being knocked out in battle, the one true ring, and now smeagol. 

I think the D's are being too literal with GRRM being influenced by Tolkien  

(Grrrr to replying by phone) 

Archived