Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 5: Getting some Strange

GallowKnight

When I see a trailer like that, that's what gives me confidence that the MCU can go on indefinitely. It looks so distinct from any other film in the MCU. Looks awesome.

This trailer hit me out of the blue this morning, I wasn't expecting it at all. 

Have to say on the whole I am impressed by it. Didn't know what to make of a Dr Strange movie. I have very little experience of him except maybe one comic I read as a kid, and then seeing the marvel animated movie they made ( which wasn't very good to be honest).

But this seems to be at least a reasonably brave move, it has some interesting visuals and is going for a slightly haunting, off kilter feel, which I think is a good idea and fits the material. 

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

forgettable villains.

It would help if they stopped killing them.

Liked the Strange teaser trailer, going big on the trippy elements which is good. I've never heard Cumberbatch do an American accent, I somehow assumed he'd still be English accented :P

12 minutes ago, Leap said:

With Chiwetel Ejiofor and Mads Mikkelsen chewing scenery, I think this movie has the best  chance to break Marvel's streak of forgettable villains.

On the other hand, Marvel's weak villains have almost always been in *spite* of great actors, so no reason that wouldn't continue. I mean, seriously, you did *that* with Mickey Rourke, Tim Roth, Christopher Eccleston, Lee Pace, the bald dude from House of Cards S1, Robert Redford ...?

Wasn't blown away by the trailer but I'm still expecting good things because all the ingredients are there from cast, character and Marvel.

They really shouldn't have put the inception shot in though.

24 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

On the other hand, Marvel's weak villains have almost always been in *spite* of great actors, so no reason that wouldn't continue. I mean, seriously, you did *that* with Mickey Rourke, Tim Roth, Christopher Eccleston, Lee Pace, the bald dude from House of Cards S1, Robert Redford ...?

I thought Redford was good. He served his purpose and didn't have a CGI army.

I think the villain problem is down to some of the formulaic elements of Marvel movie making. Infinity War could have a real problem if they  don't pull off Thanos, they have been building him up but he hasn't made a real impression yet, and those movies will be a failure if he is just your usual Marvel cinematic villain but on a cosmic scale.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

Thought the trailer looked awesome. I don't know a thing about the character or comics and the trippy element totally worked.

Same position, completely agree. Looks very good, and I am not really crazy on the marvel films either. 

Also, Tilda Swinton :wub: 

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I've got all the time in the world for Tilda Swinton, but I can't help but feel they could have found a better fit for her than an old Chinese dude. Baffling decision.

Apparently she was partially involved in the look of her character. And didn't want people to know she would be bald. http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/13/doctor-strange-tilda-swinton-bald From what the article says, they are portraying the Ancient One as female (references to "her" and "she") but Swinton is going for an androgynous style

6 hours ago, Morpheus said:

I think the villain problem is down to some of the formulaic elements of Marvel movie making. Infinity War could have a real problem if they  don't pull off Thanos, they have been building him up but he hasn't made a real impression yet, and those movies will be a failure if he is just your usual Marvel cinematic villain but on a cosmic scale.

You weren't happy with him getting off his seat? Or claiming he's going to get off his seat? It's been a thrilling arc so far. I don't even think any of the Avengers (but possibly the Guardians of the Galaxy) know he's even at play.

Tilda Swinton seems a great choice for the role for me. The androgenous approach is interesting too - I guess if you're really ancient such things don't matter much.

I don't know how to feel about the Dr. Strange trailer. On one hand, I'm elated to see Strange getting his own movie, but on the other hand, I kind of worry that they are missing the point of Strange. Maybe I need to rewatch the trailer, but they seemed to be implying something akin of alternate realities, rather than, at least in the case with the early Strange comics, alternate planes of existence. Strange fights literal demons, and that is one of the things that makes him so cool.

Also, I still hate the casting of Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One. I wish they would have used an actual Asian person, doesn't matter if they are male or female, it just seems like an wasted opportunity to diversify the cast, rather than casting a white person to play a role that was originally an Asian person.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I've got all the time in the world for Tilda Swinton, but I can't help but feel they could have found a better fit for her than an old Chinese dude. Baffling decision.

Just feels like they really wanted to jam her in there somewhere, and did it in the most nonsensical way possible(outside of making her Strange or Mordo). She is a great actress, but this just makes zero sense.

10 minutes ago, red snow said:

Tilda Swinton seems a great choice for the role for me. The androgenous approach is interesting too - I guess if you're really ancient such things don't matter much.

She played Gabriel in the underrated Constantine film, that was pretty rad.

Archived