Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 5: Getting some Strange

GallowKnight

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

Huh I heard that rumor a few days ago but thought it was false. Where is he coming home from? Or is it just going to be about one of his high school dances...

Homecoming, I think, was the title of the issue/arc right after Secret Wars, where Spidey donned the black costume. I think the name is mostly playing off the fact that Marvel has Spider-Man now...it's a "homecoming."

Michael Keaton is reported as being in talks for the villain role...Vulture, maybe?

I'm not that impressed by the Dr Strange trailer. There's nothing about it that really captured me and if it weren't a Marvel movie I don't think I would have cared about it at all.

6 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Michael Keaton is reported as being in talks for the villain role...Vulture, maybe?

Personally I'm hoping for Stilt-Man :P .

I just watched Age of Ultron again. If they want to bring Ultron back there is a way they can do it. The copy of ultron that took off in the jet that Hulk ended up flying away on could have uploaded a copy of itself into the plane's onboard computer. If I was Jet plane Ultron and had a strong feeling that I was the last version of myself I'd look for the nearest computer I could find and hide a copy of myself in it.

So I have some hope that Ultron could make a reappearance.

13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Apparently she was partially involved in the look of her character. And didn't want people to know she would be bald. http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/13/doctor-strange-tilda-swinton-bald From what the article says, they are portraying the Ancient One as female (references to "her" and "she") but Swinton is going for an androgynous style

One of rare actresses (or actors) that can totally do androgyny in the way it is supposed to be done. I am not familiarized with the comics, but I do not want to see yet another racial debate. Although, if we are completely honest, those debates rarely happen when Asians are in question. Sadly.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I just watched Age of Ultron again. If they want to bring Ultron back there is a way they can do it. The copy of ultron that took off in the jet that Hulk ended up flying away on could have uploaded a copy of itself into the plane's onboard computer. If I was Jet plane Ultron and had a strong feeling that I was the last version of myself I'd look for the nearest computer I could find and hide a copy of myself in it.

So I have some hope that Ultron could make a reappearance.

Ultron has always been like that, you do your absolute best to get rid of him, but he's always had some long term contingency, he's away in space or sleeping in some network somewhere. But if he constantly keeps popping up he loses his threat.

When they were putting the Avengers teams back together after Dark Reign, there was a story about Kang the Conqueror breaking the timeline in his attempts to defeat Ultron. Kang only 'wins' because the Avengers convince Ultron that if he continues to defeat Kang it won't leave him any universe to rule. He's one of the biggest long-term threats for earth.

12 minutes ago, mormont said:

Sony.

I saw that.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Sony.

Except of course Solo movie-wise his lycra arse still belongs to Sony. So it's more like a troll of Marvel. Sure we lent him you for Avengers, but now he back home with us.

Yeah, but the thing about the Vulture is that he is usually depicted as older. So that makes sense. (Though he's already older when he gets his powers, so he's not necessarily more experienced than Spidey.)

Release wise are we still getting: Cap3, Strange, GotG2, Spiderman? Because that seems actually really quite close.

Sony are probably jumping for joy to have Downey, I do wonder what role he'll play, hopefully more of a stepped back director of SHIELD type.

43 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Sony are probably jumping for joy to have Downey, I do wonder what role he'll play, hopefully more of a stepped back director of SHIELD type.

Yeah, while I never expected him to be completely gone, I thought Tony Stark retired at being Iron Man in IM3. I suppose he's still an entertaining playboy, genius, billionaire philanthropist...

I think the blowing up of the suits was meant to show that he was ending his psychotic need to plan and build a suit for every situation. The suit isn't the hero, he is. So he was never done being Iron Man, just coming to terms with what that actually means.

I'm not the best person to defend IM3, I still dislike it. But I do credit it for trying to give us a different superhero take.

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I think the blowing up of the suits was meant to show that he was ending his psychotic need to plan and build a suit for every situation. The suit isn't the hero, he is. So he was never done being Iron Man, just coming to terms with what that actually means.

I'm not the best person to defend IM3, I still dislike it. But I do credit it for trying to give us a different superhero take.

Ah interesting. I had coupled the suit destruction with the heart surgery and figured he let it all go (heroism) to live a normal and wholesome life away from his self-destructive tendencies.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Well that, and he'd moved on to his Ultron idea, which doesn't necessitate lots of suits, though clearly Ultron itself ended up coming around to Tony's IM3 thinking in that having hordes of metal warriors is quite handy, though not so much when you're against Thor, Hulk and Wanda. Vs mundanes they are very handy. But of course Tony got the metal warriors idea from Justin Hammer in IM2. So it's actually an idea that's been doing the rounds for a wee while.

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Ah interesting. I had coupled the suit destruction with the heart surgery and figured he let it all go (heroism) to live a normal and wholes one life away from his self-destructive tendencies.

That was my impression too, and I still think the movies didn't do a great job of explaining the turnaround between that moment and the start of Age of Ultron. 

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well that, and he'd moved on to his Ultron idea, which doesn't necessitate lots of suits

I think it did involve a lot of drones/suits though, the original Ultron body is just one of many Iron Legion suits they used in the opening. Even if he didn't need all the ones in Iron Man 3, blowing them up was still incredibly wasteful. With their fancy power cores and whatnot. 

I'm okay with this. I like The Inhumans, but not as the surrogate mutants Marvel has turned them into. I prefer them as this weird insulated culture that is alien and unknown. I would rather see an adaptation of the Paul Jenkins/Jae Lee series than the consolation X-Men we surely would have gotten.

Archived