Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 5: Getting some Strange

GallowKnight

11 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah it was. Speaking of Iron Man 3:

http://uproxx.com/movies/shane-black-the-nice-guys-iron-man-3/

I find that kinda funny, as I can't imagine any kid seeing that movie and begging his parents to buy him the Guy Pierce action figure. 

Pretty well known now - and would have been far better without that change.

Oh, and they ended up never producing a Guy Pierce doll anyway - rendering the change even more pointless; and possibly even ironic.

43 minutes ago, Leap said:

As the list of supporting characters grows, you kind of have to wonder who else is going to be in the MCU over the coming years. 

They obviously want to be taken seriously and you can see the entire process behind casting certain people. Nothing is random. For some people, being in this kind of movies is just getting the fat check but Marvel does incredible work with those big names in supporting roles. And given how picky Blanchett can be (the woman rejected The Martian), I think Marvel made her a great offer. And that makes me rather happy because I doubt Hela will be on par with Ronan, Dark Elf or Red Skull. 

5 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

If you thought Asgard got trashed in Thor 2, just wait until you see Asgard get trashed in Thor 3.   KCate is going to hire a very gruff interior decorator to take down the dividing wall between Asgard's den and living room to create a great room that really opens up the place for entertaining. 

First, the urge is stronger than me... I fixed that for you :D

Now, what do we think of this? Will she be confined solely to Thor:3, or will we see, as some have predicted, the mashup between Hela and Mistress of Death? That said, will Blanchett spread her magic into Avengers 3&4? What I know is that these negotiations lasted for quite some time and it seems they might have wanted her for more than one movie. 

Plus, it would put Marvel on the good side of the feminist talk... Between burning Whedon at stakes for Black Widow commentary, and well, burning Renner for the same thing and now this toy nonsense, with two prominent actresses not wanting to be part of MCU (well, not that they will be missed), can we see this as Marvel trying to score some much needed points with female audience? Just like how they made people excited that movie that is supposed to be about mystical land in Africa will have African-American actress (Jesus, Mary and Joseph, how stupid one can be not to see through that PR charade). Well, the usual, Disney politics... 

But wait, three Thor movies and still no Enchantress? Or did I miss something? Did they merge characters?

I have barely any knowledge of Marvel characters, save from a few animated shows. But it seems to me she's supposed to be a very recurrent antagonist?

Well, they had Lorelei on Agents of SHIELD and she did seem to be a merged Enchantress/Lorelei character. But I'm sure that wouldn't stop the MCU from introducing Amara if they felt like it.

On the other hand, I can see why they've avoided it so far. For a start the gender politics is a bit of a minefield: a character whose whole thing is manipulating male characters with her magic and beauty (and trying to seduce the hero in particular) needs careful handling in what would be a major studio film. You'd need to focus on her as a primary character, showing that there's more to her than an outdated sexist caricature: that her personality and motives are a bit more complicated. The first movie is too soon, not least because you need to set up the Jane Foster romance. The second focused on Thor's family issues, so there wasn't really room there either.

On the other hand, so far they've had the Destroyer, Loki, Malekith, Kurse, and now Hela and Skurge, not a bad checklist for classic Thor antagonists.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Well, they had Lorelei on Agents of SHIELD and she did seem to be a merged Enchantress/Lorelei character. But I'm sure that wouldn't stop the MCU from introducing Amara if they felt like it.

I see. I don't watch AoS (couldn't get past the awful first episodes... even though I keep hearing it improves drastically). Thanks for the heads up.

4 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I see. I don't watch AoS (couldn't get past the awful first episodes... even though I keep hearing it improves drastically). Thanks for the heads up.

It improves, I wouldn't say drastically. It's still a pretty shitty show. It just gets a bit more interesting after the Winter Soldier shakeup. 

8 hours ago, Pliskin said:

That ep was pretty early on in series 1, as I recall.

Hmm... on checking, ep 14 of 22. That's a lot later than I thought.

8 hours ago, Pliskin said:

To put it simply, season 1 is shit, the first half of season 2 is average and the second half of season 2 is pretty good, with season 3 basically staying on that same level. Only pretty good though, dont expect anything special.

25 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

" and Anthony Hopkins as Odin." they mean as fake Odin right?

Real one too I'm pretty sure. I don't think Loki killed him. There was a rumor

That he was banished to earth and is now a homeless person ranting about how the end is near. 

Archived