Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 5: Getting some Strange

GallowKnight

She'll do.   Academy Award and all, should be able to make some faces real good and get our sympathy.   Her head and all-important hair seem hero-ish enough.  I don't want to see her in other things, I want her to be an unknown to me so that way she IS this character and not, "Hey, look it's so-and-so taking a turn at a Marvel role." 

Not Kate Upton, but whatever.  I'll just photo shop Kate into the outfit and everyone still wins because this way the movie will probably be taken more seriously.    Plus they have a way of avoiding putting most of their heroes in the outfits you're expecting to see, anyway.   With Ironman they kind of have to put him in the suit, but Scarlet Witch no.   Beyonce gets to look ridiculous at the Superbowl but we're not ready for Wolverine to appear in the Wolverine suit.  Fine.  

I hope this movie gets the super-heavy atmospheric treatment, taking place during a time when the Infinity business has the whole Earth reeling after time & space are deeply crunked up by Thanos' hyjinx in a way everyone feels and everyone knows the universe is doomed or something.   And people by then should be all tore up inside from the widely known loss of the Avengers and whatnot, and then Captain Marvel steps on to the stage and pushes back against the encroaching capitulation of our species and gives everyone the euphoric sense of renewed hope in the best Superman tradition.  Hopefully with a sizeable portion of the movie taking place in SPACE with fascinating content and not only filming in her apartment for the, "I have so much angst and self-doubt" type scenes.  Please.  Thank you.   Want.

So, I'm kind of excited for Black Panther. Great cast (not so sure about the chick from the Walking Dead, but the rest are great) and its helmed by Ryan Coogler. How fucking awesome is that :D Especially teaming up with Michael B. Jordan, I'd watch everything those two do together after Creed. Even if its a superhero flick. 

I guess, in the end, Brie Larsen is pretty much the best pick for Captain Marvel when all things are considered. She reasonably looks the part, she's an actor of reasonably proven ability, but she is also relatively new and needing(wanting) to establish herself as an A-lister and thus a much cheaper hire than other actors who would be better in the role, such as Charlize Theron who also might not be interested in signing on to multi-movie deals.

I don't see Black Widow getting a solo gig. It would pretty much have to be an origin story, but we've had just enough of her back story in previous movies to have enough of a sense of where she's come from that a solo movie seems unnecessary. When you look at Marvel's own list of top 10 female heroes it's hard to identify any other character who would be likely to get a solo movie. http://marvel.com/news/comics/10648/take_10_ladies_of_the_avengers

Possibly the best candidate might be Monica Rambeau, but she'll have to use one of her alternate names since her main name: Captain Marvel has already been taken. And if theyt don't include Mar-Vell in Carol Danvers origin story they could use him in Monica's.

I don't think they'll give us She-Hulk even though I'd like her to get into the MCU. Tigra seems a bit meh. I can't see Marvel bringing in a female with spidey powers unless they decide to ditch Spider man completely, which is unlikely. And Mockingbird is a bit problematic given Bobbi Morse is in AoS and it seems the two shall not meet in any meaningful way.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

And if theyt don't include Mar-Vell in Carol Danvers origin story they could use him in Monica's.

The only connection Mar-Vell has with Monica Rambeau is that she used his codename, then she stopped doing so to allow his son to have it.

Then said son changed his name again to her second codename, so she changed hers again.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I can't see Marvel bringing in a female with spidey powers unless they decide to ditch Spider man completely, which is unlikely.

I think most of the Spider-Women are different enough from Spider-Man. The fact that they're women is probably a more limiting factor from Marvel's perspective.

3 minutes ago, Jon AS said:

I think most of the Spider-Women are different enough from Spider-Man. The fact that they're women is probably a more limiting factor from Marvel's perspective.

I think Arthropod-based heroes may have reached saturation with Spidey, Ant man and The Wasp.

Marvel lists The Wasp as the number 1 female hero. But that is Janet Van Dyne's Wasp, not the MCU's Hope Pym/Van Dyne. We're not going to get a Janet Van Dyne Wasp solo movie and we've already had the Hope Wasp origin movie. Would be kinda cool to have a Wasp solo movie that takes Hope from being the hero Wasp to becoming the villain Red Queen. But I don't think that can fit into the MCU unless there is some brainwashing involved, which makes her a victim rather than a protagonist.

On 7/24/2016 at 3:35 AM, The BlackBear said:

It was in the Dr. Strange specific thread, but thought I'd post it here as well:

It looks incredible.

That looks alright but is that New York City again!? Haven't they suffered enough in the MCU? There are other cities in the world. I understand like Spiderman pretty much has to take place there but why Dr. Strange? It also seems like it risks drawing attention to the fact that the Netflix shows are effectively taking place in an alternate universe. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

That looks alright but is that New York City again!? Haven't they suffered enough in the MCU? There are other cities in the world. I understand like Spiderman pretty much has to take place there but why Dr. Strange? It also seems like it risks drawing attention to the fact that the Netflix shows are effectively taking place in an alternate universe. 

The Netflix shows share the same universe as the MCU. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Heh.. Dr. Strange does seem like a golden opportunity to change up cities and spread the love. MCU New York has to be the most corrupt and dangerous city in the entire universe.

I never really got into the Dr. Strange comics so his movie wasn't one that was I eagerly anticipating (nothing wrong with him, just lack of background on my part). That trailer looks visually awesome though and I'm looking forward to it now. I do hope Mads Mikkelsen turns out to be a fleshed out and noteworthy villain.  

5 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

I know that in theory they do, that's why I said effectively. In practice there's been no interaction between the two. Just a few references in the shows, it's all one sided. We're probably never going to get Spiderman stopping by for an episode or two to help Daredevil fight the Kingpin, as awesome as that would be. 

5 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

Not in any meaningful way it would seem. Aside from some references and some newspaper clippings on walls the actual events of the MCU movies seem to have had no effect on the shows, and the shows look like they are not even going to rate a mention in the MCU movies.

It would be great if the tightly NYC centric MCU movie (Spiderman) did intersect with the Netflix shows in some way. But it almost certainly won't. It could be as subtle as Aunt May reading a story in the paper about the Punisher. But I think the directive is probably for the movies to pretend like the Netflix shows don;t exist. Just like the movies pretend AoS doesn't exist even while the events of AoS have been heavily shaped by the events of Winter Soldier.

It's not so much that the films are NYC centric but that the comics are. If anything I think the films make an attempt to go elsewhere. DC have gone with the idea of fictional cities to go with so have been able to do as they like with them. Marvel are trying to establish characters in cities which don't necessarily support any characters, you need a degree of urban sprawl and high rise-ness. NYC just works too well. Plus you have to factor in real-life events in those cities.

I honestly don't know much about Dr. Strange. Is he really tied to New York City in the comics? It seems to me like most of the movie takes place overseas and then the climax returns to New York to make it personal for the doctor. So far I don't see why it couldn't have been Chicago or any other city. 

Don't get me wrong it's not something that will detract from my enjoyment of the movies. I just find it odd. It makes the world feel a little smaller than it should. Unless they're sneaking in a Spidey post-credits sequence. Then there'd be a reason.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Not in any meaningful way it would seem. Aside from some references and some newspaper clippings on walls the actual events of the MCU movies seem to have had no effect on the shows, and the shows look like they are not even going to rate a mention in the MCU movies.

Uh, the fallout from The Avengers sets in motion the entire plot-line of Daredevil season 1. Fisk was knee-deep in the re-construction Hells Kitchen following the Battle for New York.

23 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Uh, the fallout from The Avengers sets in motion the entire plot-line of Daredevil season 1. Fisk was knee-deep in the re-construction Hells Kitchen following the Battle for New York.

Again, the main complaint is that it's a one sided thing. The Netflix shows and Agents of Shield have always reacted to the movies and that's all. A few people behind the scenes have not been shy about admitting this. (for example Whedon's statements that in the films Coulson is dead.) It's also no secret that the heads of the Marvel film and TV divisions do not get along. 

The best example of the disconnect is probably Civil War and the most recent season of Agents of Shield. 

Agents of Shield would have you believe the new Inhunmans popping up all over due to the fish oil was a global threat being adressed by the UN. But they don't even get a throwaway line of dialogue in Civil War. [/spoilers]

But anyway as I remember the events of the Avengers are basically used as an excuse for New York regressing crime and real estate wise. I'd say it sets up the setting, but it's not as if the show couldn't have happened without the movie. They could have just established that there was an economic downturn. Maybe even one engineered by the Kingpin as part of his master plan. 

46 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Sure, but that was way back at the start where there were dreams of a seamless unified universe that would cross pollinate between the TV shows and the movies. That's no longer the vision, if it ever was. 

Yeah, don't care if the movies doesn't recognize the shows as long as they both entertain me than I'm more than good. 

So Kevin Feige(spelling?)is ahead of Marvel studios right? So who is ahead of the comics and tv shows? And is AOS and the Netflix shows headed by the same person? 

4 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

Yeah, don't care if the movies doesn't recognize the shows as long as they both entertain me than I'm more than good. 

So Kevin Feige(spelling?)is ahead of Marvel studios right? So who is ahead of the comics and tv shows? And is AOS and the Netflix shows headed by the same person? 

At this point it seems like there are 3 walled gardens, with some superficial cross referencing. We have the MCU, that cross references nothing but itself. We have AoS which references the MCU but not, so far, Netflix. We have Netflix, which references the MCU, but not, so far, AoS. 

When Defenders rolls around I think if there's no referencing of them in the MCU / Spideyverse that will be as big of an ignore as the MCU ignoring the whole inHumans thing in AoS. You have an "Avengers lite" group, some with powers to rival the abilities of Avengers.  

13 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Ike Pearlmutter still runs Marvel, the TV guys answer to him. But Disney made a change a few years back so Feige answers directly to someone at Disney, not Pearlmutter. 

23 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Ike Pearlmutter still runs Marvel, the TV guys answer to him. But Disney made a change a few years back so Feige answers directly to someone at Disney, not Pearlmutter. 

Thanks, and I think someone mentioned that Feige and Pearlmutter don't like each other, why? 

Also Disney owns all of Marvel right including the tv shows? So any tv shows that Netflix wants to do has to be approved by Disney? 

Plus Doctor Strange also knows martial arts? In the trailer it looked like he was fighting hand to hand. 

Archived