Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 5: Getting some Strange

GallowKnight

12 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

No,I just think Henry Cavill is a really bad actor. He only sprang to mind because he is in the DC filmverse

Nooooo :D

For some reason, I am rooting for Henry. I have no idea why, but I feel that there is something somewhere below all that cringe-worthy attempts of acting he has blessed us lately. But, I do think he can be great, even perfect Superman. He just needs to learn how to enjoy the said role.

Just now, Risto said:

Nooooo :D

For some reason, I am rooting for Henry. I have no idea why, but I feel that there is something somewhere below all that cringe-worthy attempts of acting he has blessed us lately. But, I do think he can be great, even perfect Superman. He just needs to learn how to enjoy the said role.

Meh, he seems to lack the ability to change expression at all and sort of just glowers his way through the role. Maybe that's just the directing, but I'm not so sure. I don't see much there really but to each their own.

Just now, HelenaExMachina said:

Meh, he seems to lack the ability to change expression at all and sort of just glowers his way through the role. Maybe that's just the directing, but I'm not so sure. I don't see much there really but to each their own.

If we talk solely about Superman role, I blame Snyder. The role is too one-dimensional itself that no matter how one tries, you simply can't bring anything out of it. And for somewhat amusing, funny person, role like Superman must be complete drag. For example, I sincerely think Hemsworth is no better actor than Cavil, but Thor gives more chances to Chris to enjoy the entire process than Superman does to Henry (at least, in the form, MCU and DCU created the roles). 

Just now, Kalbear said:

Cavill was pretty strong in the Man from UNCLE. 

Yeah, he was good. It wasn't some master-class acting, but he certainly did the job OK. Hammer, on the other hand...

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Seconded on the Disney Channel hate. A more wretched hive of scum and villainy you will never find.

I never saw Shake It Up. I did see one episode of KC Undercover with my niece. She liked it, I was not impressed. Then again, superhero movies mostly succeed as an adult coat of paint on a childish concept, so using a Disney child actress fits right in.

25 minutes ago, Rhom said:

You got a problem with Liv and Maddie?!!!?

:lol: 

So it's a Patty Duke Show/Hannah Montana mash up? :o Holy shit, that looks horrid.

It's like they've created this entertainment sweat shop. I imagine the same sets of writers chained to desks cranking out the hackiest jokes and sitcom premises, day after day, year after year. It is cookie-cutter television at its' absolute worst, with a dash of pre-teen pedo creepiness thrown in for good measure. A fair definition of hell for me would to be chained to a couch for any length of time and being forced to watch this crap. 

11 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So it's a Patty Duke Show/Hannah Montana mash up? :o Holy shit, that looks horrid.

It's like they've created this entertainment sweat shop. I imagine the same sets of writers chained to desks cranking out the hackiest jokes and sitcom premises, day after day, year after year. It is cookie-cutter television at its' absolute worst, with a dash of pre-teen pedo creepiness thrown in for good measure. A fair definition of hell for me would to be chained to a couch for any length of time and being forced to watch this crap. 

The Mills and Boon of kid's TV mayhaps?

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The Mills and Boon of kid's TV mayhaps?

I'm not familiar with that franchise, but at a quick glance it looks much like the Harlequin Romance books we have here in the States. Yeah, it's a proven formula that is regurgitated over and over yet it continues to be consumed by a fair percentage of the public.

Allegedly 3 directors short listed for Captain Marvel http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/captain-marvel-director-search-narrowed-922476

Niki Caro, Lesli Linka Glatter and Lorene Scafaria are the top contenders.

Captain Marvel is slowly zeroing in on a director.

Niki Caro (Whale Rider, North Country, McFarland, USA and The Zookeeper’s Wife), Lesli Linka Glatter (Homeland, Ray Donovan, The Newsroom, True Blood, Mad Men, ER and The West Wing) and Lorene Scafaria (Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (writing), Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, The Meddler) are on the shortlist for the highly coveted job of helming Marvel Studio's first female-centric superhero movie, several sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. 

They've all done good work. But, do they appreciate and honour the source material? Can minders of the franchise Feige and co ensure the source material is appropriately honoured by directors who are wheeled in with no real artistic connection to the material?

You don't need a woman to competently direct a female lead movie, but I am more than happy for a competent female director to be given the reigns for some of the MCU movies.

Also from a different article: 

Captain Marvel screenwriter Nicole Perlman has confirmed that we'll be seeing a new take on Carol's origin in the movie...

I hope that only means we won;t be seeing Mar Vell. I would like her powers to come from alien technology and for the cosmic stuff to be in there..  

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Allegedly 3 directors short listed for Captain Marvel http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/captain-marvel-director-search-narrowed-922476

They've all done good work. But, do they appreciate and honour the source material? Can minders of the franchise Feige and co ensure the source material is appropriately honoured by directors who are wheeled in with no real artistic connection to the material?

You don't need a woman to competently direct a female lead movie, but I am more than happy for a competent female director to be given the reigns for some of the MCU movies.

Also from a different article: 

I hope that only means we won;t be seeing Mar Vell. I would like her powers to come from alien technology and for the cosmic stuff to be in there..  

Speaking of Captain Marvel does anyone know if she will be making her debut in Avengers:Infinity War?

And 2019 ugh, I was hoping we would have it in 2018. 

The Russo's have hinted at the appearance of a new character in Infinity War. I suspect we'll see an unpowered Col. Carol Danvers and at some point she'll get kidnapped or whisked away to somewhere in the galaxy where she'll eventually get her powers in the Capt. Marvel movie.

the rumour that Dan Harmon has done some "doctoring" on the "Dr Strange" script sounds like it could only be a good thing. Probably adding some humour to the dialogue I suspect. Plus it makes sense he'd be contacted given his history with the russo brothers.

Is Juggernaut exclusively Fox? I just now learned that Juggernaut is not a mutant. But I assume because he first appeared in X-men comics and is Prof X's step brother he's tied into the licencing agreement.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The other thing I just learned (thanks Comicbook Girl 19, epic history X-men series) is that Earth-616 is "our" Earth. I never knew that.

I love that kid (she's a kid to me, anyway) ... but she's really good at what she does...

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:38 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Same here... Especially since the Kree have already been introduced in AoS, and Guardians of the galaxy... Changing the individual she gets her powers from is one thing, but the power's source is something else entirely

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The other thing I just learned (thanks Comicbook Girl 19, epic history X-men series) is that Earth-616 is "our" Earth. I never knew that.

616 is the main Marvel continuity, where the comics take place. 'Our' world, as in the real world, is 1218, or something.

Archived