Taena/Cersei Forever?

Seaworth'sShipmate

44 minutes ago, Seaworth'sShipmate said:

Do you guys sort of think it was a missed opprotunity that Taena and Cersei did not remain an "item?"

Cersei seemed happy with that romantic relationship. Do you think the two of them had a future, and it was a "shame" they didn't "get back together?"

We never had any chance to guess or understand Taena's feelings for Cersei.

She seems to be spying on her, so I doubt she has any.

I'm not seeing where Cersei was happy in this romantic relationship, if you can even call it that. Taena seems to have a certain attraction to Cersei (though I'm not sure how real this is), but Cersei just seems to acquiesce to her just because she's there, not because she's actually attracted to her. The one sexual experience they have Cersei expresses her dissatisfaction with it. However, I do somewhat agree with your underlying premise. Even though I don't know how they genuinely care about the others well being, I did like the companionship between them. Cersei did seem to appreciate what she thought was a true companion. I was disappointed that Taena packed up and left as soon as Cersei was arrested, even though I understood why. 

The relationship with Taena shows how lonely Cersei is and how much lonshe longs for  human contact with someone she could trust, but at the same time, it also shows how unhinged Cersei is, the sex scene was all about domination and emulating domination, and creepy as hell.

I don't think that Taena has any real feeling for Cersei - sexual attraction, perhaps, but no feelings, or else she wouldn't have left Cersei to her fate just like that.

What I don't understand is that whilst Cersei is pretty much suspicious of everyone, that she trusts Taena so easily? I know she says that she only tells Taena some things and not all, but she sure as heck reveals a lot to her. She even mentions that Taena is her first friend since the girls that went into Maggy the Frog's tent with her - that's a hell of a long time to go without having a proper friend. 

So why Taena? I am also of the opinion that Taena was spying on her, but how on earth could Cersei not see that? 

I think Cersei isn't feeling threatened by Taena and doesn't have contempt for her and that largely stems from the fact than Taena is not a man. (A horrible person she is, I'd still blame much of Cersei's damage on a patriarchal society she's been raised and has to live in) So maybe she's the person that Cersei can form the healthiest (in a perspective) companionship with. If Taena's feelings are genuine, which I doubt.

In those years before, she had Jaime as her confidant. Jaime is gone, she has lost her father, her son, there has been a war, a siege... a lot to go through, even for someone like Cersei.

4 hours ago, Seaworth'sShipmate said:

Do you guys sort of think it was a missed opprotunity that Taena and Cersei did not remain an "item?"

Cersei seemed happy with that romantic relationship. Do you think the two of them had a future, and it was a "shame" they didn't "get back together?"

Not at all. Not in the slightest. It was no romantic relationship, it was a toxic arrangement where Cersei just used Taena, and Taena in all probability was somebody's agent, no more fond of Cersei than Lancel had been.

Although any relationship involving Cersei Lannister seems bound to be toxic and destructive.

3 hours ago, Ygrain said:

The relationship with Taena shows how lonely Cersei is and how much lonshe longs for  human contact with someone she could trust, but at the same time, it also shows how unhinged Cersei is, the sex scene was all about domination and emulating domination, and creepy as hell.

I don't think that Taena has any real feeling for Cersei - sexual attraction, perhaps, but no feelings, or else she wouldn't have left Cersei to her fate just like that.

3 hours ago, Tianzi said:

I think Cersei isn't feeling threatened by Taena and doesn't have contempt for her and that largely stems from the fact than Taena is not a man. (A horrible person she is, I'd still blame much of Cersei's damage on a patriarchal society she's been raised and has to live in) So maybe she's the person that Cersei can form the healthiest (in a perspective) companionship with. If Taena's feelings are genuine, which I doubt.

3 hours ago, Ygrain said:

In those years before, she had Jaime as her confidant. Jaime is gone, she has lost her father, her son, there has been a war, a siege... a lot to go through, even for someone like Cersei.

Yes, we saw that Cersei needed another companion as soon as Jaime was out of contact, even while Joffrey and Myrcella were still around.  She had Lancel.  I suspect she is very lonely, among many other things.

8 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I suspect she is very lonely, among many other things.

Yeah, terribly lonely - despite all that she had done, that one moment of complete loneliness of human soul made me connect to her and feel sorry for her. Damn GRRM for such a masterful touch!

The whole context of the "Myrish swamp" scene seemed to be Cersei wanting to emulate Robert in using another person for their own gratification. Which felt hollow and empty for Cersei. And that was about as romantic as their relationship got. Given she quickly abandoned Cersei to her fate when things went sour with the Faith, at best they were two people who enjoyed one another's company within the confines of each seeking to advance their own situations. At worst, Taena was spying and bailed when it stopped being safe and/or useful.

1 hour ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Not at all. Not in the slightest. It was no romantic relationship, it was a toxic arrangement where Cersei just used Taena, and Taena in all probability was somebody's agent, no more fond of Cersei than Lancel had been.

Although any relationship involving Cersei Lannister seems bound to be toxic and destructive.

Second paragraph, right on.

First paragraph, as I see it Taena was using her, um, charms to get next to Cersei. She was the exploiter, except maybe in Cersei's mind.

My impression of Taena is that she's an opportunist. I doubt she married her husband out of love either, but because he is what he is, his position. Same with Cersei and her, it's all about influence and power, as always in these books. ;) However, it is possible that during their, ahem, sleepover, Taena developed some kind of affection for Cersei. She seemed very willing to please her. It is interesting having another character from Myr, but a very different one from Thoros, lol. However, since Thoros is also a promiscuos man, would that mean that people of Myr are generally like that...very liberal in that way?

I think Cersei trusted her because she thought she had 'won over' this woman who was in Margery's inner circle. I think Taena gave her just enough info on the Tyrell's that Cersei trusted her, mostly because Cersei looked at any info from inside the Tyrell camp as a huge victory.

Taena wasn't a potential enemy, she was a trophy to remind Cersei of the victory of turning one of Margery's own friends against her. 

11 minutes ago, Valens said:

My impression of Taena is that she's an opportunist. I doubt she married her husband out of love either, but because he is what he is, his position. Same with Cersei and her, it's all about influence and power, as always in these books. ;) However, it is possible that during their, ahem, sleepover, Taena developed some kind of affection for Cersei. She seemed very willing to please her. It is interesting having another character from Myr, but a very different one from Thoros, lol. However, since Thoros is also a promiscuos man, would that mean that people of Myr are generally like that...very liberal in that way?

Essos is the Europe of Earthos...

Archived