NBA 2016 Playoffs Edition: Farewell, Kobe!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

2 hours ago, James Arryn said:

I don't have a real issue with Kobe going out chucking and volume-clutch. It was an otherwise meaningless game when vets would often not even see regular rotation, so w/e, give him his moment. That said I agree with the earlier contrast with Duncan, and that each is potentially illustrating his career with how they're leaving.

Part of it I think was also that if he scored 67 in the final game his career average would end at 25.0 - as it was he finished at 24.9947.  As with all Celtics fans, I'm bred to hate all things Laker, but respect them if they deserve it.  His talent deserved it.

35 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

Part of it I think was also that if he scored 67 in the final game his career average would end at 25.0 - as it was he finished at 24.9947.  As with all Celtics fans, I'm bred to hate all things Laker, but respect them if they deserve it.  His talent deserved it.

I don't know, I don't really care for the word deserved, especially in relation to sports. You go out and earn it, or you don't. No one owes you anything. The result of this particular game just screams farce to me. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The writing was on the wall for months that Wittman had to go.  He (surprisingly) seemed like a pretty good playoff coach in 2014 and 2015, but the fact remains that he is actually a very poor coach in the regular season, so there's no guarantee the Wiz even make the playoffs (as they failed to do this year). 

Hard to be excited about the Wizards, it looks like they are about to get stuck on the mediocrity treadmill.  Wall and Beal are talented and young, so they'll never be a complete embarassment, but they are at least one superstar away from being a real contender.  And it looks like Durant-to-Washington has fizzled after the performance this past season.

There is something missing in this thread. Something we do every year traditionally when the playoffs are about to begin.

Predictions people, I want to see your predictions. Come on!

On 4/14/2016 at 6:09 AM, Calibandar said:

My predictions for the first round:

East:

Cleveland beats Detroit in 5

Toronto beats Indiana in 6

Miami beats Charlotte in 7

Atlanta beats Boston in 6

West:

Golden state beats Rockets in 4

San Antonio past Memphis in 4

OKC beats Dallas in 5

Clippers beat Trailblazers in 6

Dallas is so bad they really shouldn't take a game but I think they will.

I'll take:

East:

Cavs over Pistons in 6

Raptors over Pacers in 6

Charlotte over Heat in 7

Boston over Atlanta in 7

West:

Warriors over Rockets in 4

Spurs over Grizz in 5

OKC over Dallas in 4

Clippers over Trailblazers in 5 

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Hell yeah. That has to be a coveted job for sure. Who do ya like for it?

No idea, but listening to various analysts it sounds like everyone not named Kerr or Popovich is up for consideration. A lot of current head coaches are quietly willing to dump their current teams for the gig. 

And one thing to consider is we have the projected number 5 pick. If we can some how get into the top 2 the team's roster is going to get that much crazier. 

5 minutes ago, sperry said:

Doesn't feel like Kerr has been there that long...

I'd say the Wolves current roster is more appealing than the Warriors roster when Kerr took the job. No one could have predicted that Curry would have found the cheat code.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No idea, but listening to various analysts it sounds like everyone not named Kerr or Popovich is up for consideration. A lot of current head coaches are quietly willing to dump their current teams for the gig. 

And one thing to consider is we have the projected number 5 pick. If we can some how get into the top 2 the team's roster is going to get that much crazier. 

I'd say the Wolves current roster is more appealing than the Warriors roster when Kerr took the job. No one could have predicted that Curry would have found the cheat code.

The Warriors were already a really good team.  They were pretty clearly not far away from contending.  T-Wolves have some nice prospects, with Towns the only one who looks like a lock to be a really good player.

East:

Cavs over Pistons in 4

Raptors over Pacers in 6

Miami over Charlotte in 6

Atlanta over Boston in 7

West:

Warriors over Rockets in 4

Spurs over Grizz in 4

OKC over Dallas in 5

Portland over Clippers in 6

Lillard is gonna go wild. It's the only "upset" I have early.

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not at all. The Warrirors were already a playoff team in a strong West and almost beat the Clippers with Bogut out despite having a pretty terrible coach. And Curry was a Top 10 player in the league who had scored 24 PPG on a very high efficiency and added 8.5 assists that season.

Okay. In the East:

Cleveland over Detroit in 4

Raptors over Pacers in 5

Miami over Charlotte in 7

Boston over Atlanta in 6

In the West:

Golden State over Houston in 4

San Antonio over Memphis in 4

OKC over Dallas in 6

Los Angeles C over Portland in 6

Gonna be a pretty dull first round IMO, with the biggest excitement probably being wondering if the Warriors, Spurs, and Cavs will lose a single game between them. Technically the Celtics winning is an upset, but barely.

The East

Cleveland over Detroit in 6  

Raptors over Pacers in 4

Charlotte over Miami in 6

Boston over Atlanta in 5

The West

Golden State over Houston in 4

Spurs over Memphis in 4

OKC over Mavs in 5

Clips over Portland in 5 (this is pure guesswork because I havent got to see much of Portland.)

Interesting dynamic in the East where teams 3,4,5,6 (after Cle 1 and Toronto 2) all have identical won lost records!

Charlotte, Boston, Atlanta and Miami all finished at 48-34 for the reg. season.

So apparently Charles Barkley thinks that the Clippers will upset the Warriors in round 2. I don't know why but i had a similar thought about two weeks ago. Not sure it is based in any rational line of thinking, more of a gut feeling that if Blake is 100%, then the Clippers can give the Wars everything they can handle. Other potential upsets - Thunder over Spurs, Boston over Cavs, Hornets over Raptors. 

That said, it's very hard to look ahead and not predict a Finals rematch. 

Archived