NBA 2016 Playoffs Edition: Farewell, Kobe!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

20 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Don't see how you can even begin to talk about it without setting ground rules. Yes, the Bulls clearly win if playing by 95-96 rules. I think the same can be said for the Warriors under the current rules. In my opinion, the only way to even the playing field would be to have the rules switch to whomever's court that particular game is being played on. 95-96 rules at the United Center and 2015-2016 rules at Oracle. Oh yeah, and the Warriors get homecourt advantage due to the superior record. B)

I think that would be one hell of a series and would likely be very close. It would be a matter of who could adapt to the others rules faster, methinks. I kind of think the Bulls would find themselves in foul trouble quite frequently when playing at Oracle, and the Warriors would likely be spent after a couple of games at the United Center.

I disagree. I think the Bulls would be a lot more competitive in today's era than the Warriors would have been 20 years ago. I can see the Bulls beating the Warriors, although I'd say the Dubs would be favored. I cannot see the Warriors beating the Bulls in their era. 

38 minutes ago, Rhom said:

In light of this potentially serious injury, I think its time we ask JackBauer for his medical opinion. 

Lol.

In all seriousness though, when I saw it happen live I assumed he was done for at least 8 months. I was also shocked they didn't carry him off the court.

If Curry's seriously injured I want a refund on this NBA season. You can't provide me the most fun season from an individual and team standpoint that I can recall and then yank it all away when it actually starts to matter. Be one of the crueler things the Sports Gods have done. I think even Popp would be pissed about this just as a basketball purist and wanting to beat the best to be the best. 

36 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

If Curry's seriously injured I want a refund on this NBA season. You can't provide me the most fun season from an individual and team standpoint that I can recall and then yank it all away when it actually starts to matter. Be one of the crueler things the Sports Gods have done. I think even Popp would be pissed about this just as a basketball purist and wanting to beat the best to be the best. 

On the plus side, it could inject some extra drama into the Clippers-GS series.  If Curry is out the first two, and then able to get his legs back under him over the rest of the series, that could still be great.  But he would need to be back to near 100% by the end, I definitely do not want to see Curry gimping around out there for a long time. 

36 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

On the plus side, it could inject some extra drama into the Clippers-GS series.  If Curry is out the first two, and then able to get his legs back under him over the rest of the series, that could still be great.  But he would need to be back to near 100% by the end, I definitely do not want to see Curry gimping around out there for a long time. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I disagree. I think the Bulls would be a lot more competitive in today's era than the Warriors would have been 20 years ago. I can see the Bulls beating the Warriors, although I'd say the Dubs would be favored. I cannot see the Warriors beating the Bulls in their era. 

Eh, I think it would be equally tough for both teams to adapt to the others rules. The Bulls had a few guys who could shoot the 3, but I'm not sure they could keep up with the Warriors, even if they managed to adapt to the less physical defensive style. Honestly, I think it would go 7 either way.

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, I think it would be equally tough for both teams to adapt to the others rules. The Bulls had a few guys who could shoot the 3, but I'm not sure they could keep up with the Warriors, even if they managed to adapt to the less physical defensive style. Honestly, I think it would go 7 either way.

But they had guys who could shoot in general, and I think you have to factor in that they would be better 3 point shooters in today's game. They would have practiced them a lot more. Here's the thing, the Bulls could learn how to not foul. Curry can't learn how to not be small. He would have gotten beaten up 20 years ago.

25 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah I'd have the two teams about even without Curry. Clippers would be more talented while the Warriors still play better as a team. Could go either way IMO. 

If he's out a week or two, I'll take that in a heartbeat. 

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But they had guys who could shoot in general, and I think you have to factor in that they would be better 3 point shooters in today's game. They would have practiced them a lot more. Here's the thing, the Bulls could learn how to not foul. Curry can't learn how to not be small. He would have gotten beaten up 20 years ago.

On the fly though? Kind of seems like you're changing the rules a bit. I don't see how they could possibly compete with Curry or Thompson in that particular area, as they've been practicing that aspect of their game since they were children. I guess we'd have to iron out the groundrules. 

55 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Can Steve Kerr the coach gameplan for Steve Kerr the player?!!?

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

On the fly though? Kind of seems like you're changing the rules a bit. I don't see how they could possibly compete with Curry or Thompson in that particular area, as they've been practicing that aspect of their game since they were children. I guess we'd have to iron out the groundrules. 

Well that's what I was getting at. If Jordan and the rest of the Bulls' players were born 20 years later they would have been more proficient 3 point shooters. But if you don't want to include that in the argument that's fine. There really isn't a right or wrong way to approach this hypothetical question.

But regardless, I just believe the 96 Bulls would of had a better chance against today's Warriors than vice versa. I don't think the 2016 Warriors would have a chance with 90s' rules, while I think the 96 Bulls could compete in today's era. I think it would be a 4 or 5 game series with 90s' rules and it would be a 6 or 7 game toss up with today's rules. 

Also, who wins in a fight between Rodman and Green? Because there is a good chance that would go down. :P

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Can Steve Kerr the coach gameplan for Steve Kerr the player?!!?

Yeah, I think that's an angle that has been ignored as well. I think the Warriors have an advantage there, as 2016 Steve Kerr has intimate knowledge of the 95-96 Bulls team, but 95-96 Kerr doesn't know the Warriors from Adam.

44 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well that's what I was getting at. If Jordan and the rest of the Bulls' players were born 20 years later they would have been more proficient 3 point shooters. But if you don't want to include that in the argument that's fine. There really isn't a right or wrong way to approach this hypothetical question.

But regardless, I just believe the 96 Bulls would of had a better chance against today's Warriors than vice versa. I don't think the 2016 Warriors would have a chance with 90s' rules, while I think the 96 Bulls could compete in today's era. I think it would be a 4 or 5 game series with 90s' rules and it would be a 6 or 7 game toss up with today's rules. 

Also, who wins in a fight between Rodman and Green? Because there is a good chance that would go down. :P

I realize this is all hypothetical bullshit, but I think you have to start with the two teams as they were/are. This is the 95-96 Bulls vs the 2015-16 Warriors, not the 95-96 Bulls with 20 years of experience geared to this hypothetical series we are now laying out. I suppose you'd want to give each team some film time prep regarding the change in rules so as not to make it a complete comedy of errors, but I don't think it's fair to make any sort of substantial change in their relative realities. 

I could care less who would win in a fight between Green and Rodman, I want to know who would get the other to blow up first, and get bounced from a game or two. 

26 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I realize this is all hypothetical bullshit, but I think you have to start with the two teams as they were/are. This is the 95-96 Bulls vs the 2015-16 Warriors, not the 95-96 Bulls with 20 years of experience geared to this hypothetical series we are now laying out. I suppose you'd want to give each team some film time prep regarding the change in rules so as not to make it a complete comedy of errors, but I don't think it's fair to make any sort of substantial change in their relative realities. 

That's fine. I have no problem using this context to analyze the match up.

The way I'm looking at it is who would do better in the other's era, and I think the answer is the Bulls. I don't give GS much of a chance with 90's era rules. And while I'd favor the Dubs in today's era, I think the Bulls could beat them. Hence why I lean towards the Bulls overall.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's fine. I have no problem using this context to analyze the match up.

The way I'm looking at it is who would do better in the other's era, and I think the answer is the Bulls. I don't give GS much of a chance with 90's era rules. And while I'd favor the Dubs in today's era, I think the Bulls could beat them. Hence why I lean towards the Bulls overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amq8UiAfRzM

Yes according to Wojnarowski the MRI was negative, he has a grade 1 sprain and would be out for two weeks, possibly more.

That is not that bad, if that holds out he will be back sometime during the Clippers series. But of course it remains to be seen.

8 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah that's brutal.

27 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Honestly, after what the Cavs had to go through last year in the playoffs, it's nice to see the Warriors deal with a little adversity after having dealt with none of it all last year or the entire regular season this year.

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

Honestly, after what the Cavs had to go through last year in the playoffs, it's nice to see the Warriors deal with a little adversity after having dealt with none of it all last year or the entire regular season this year.

Would think more of this statement if Cavs lost Lebron instead. 

47 minutes ago, briantw said:

In a sense yes, but I don't want us to be robbed of Dubs v. Spurs.

Also, the Dubs are actually better off if the don't wrap it up in 5. If their series and/or the Clippers' series goes past 5 games, the start date for the second round gets pushed back two days.

Archived