NBA 2016 Playoffs Edition: Farewell, Kobe!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

In a sense yes, but I don't want us to be robbed of Dubs v. Spurs.

Also, the Dubs are actually better off if the don't wrap it up in 5. If their series and/or the Clippers' series goes past 5 games, the start date for the second round gets pushed back two days.

Dangerous game to drag out a series, though, especially with your best player hurt and unlikely to return.  Yeah, it's incredibly unlikely that the Rockets come back and win even without Curry, but if you can put them away now you have to try to do it.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Honestly, after what the Cavs had to go through last year in the playoffs, it's nice to see the Warriors deal with a little adversity after having dealt with none of it all last year or the entire regular season this year.

Yeah, for all the LeBron hating I do here, I was really impressed with his playoff run last season. He really did carry that team on his back. That being said, I really want to see a healthy Warriors squad face off against a healthy Spurs team.  

There is no way for Golden State to drag out the series against the Rockets though.

The Rockets are completely done, didn't even want to win at home anymore as we have just witnessed, could only have less chemistry together if they actually started to beat each other up on court, and are in any case no match for a team that plays the sort of game that Golden State or the Spurs do. They have Harden but who else do they have. Even playing with their two best bigs upfront ( Dwight and Motiejunas) against a smaller Golden State frontcourt did not allow them to get enough points because these guys are not skilled enough, don't even catch the passes they get half of the time. And then there is the defense.

I wonder what remains of that Rockets team. Maybe even Harden would rather leave. I think he and Capela might be the only guys Morey really wants to keep.

Hate to say it but Curry shouldn't have been playing that game in the first place. 

While losing a game to extend the first round sounds tempting at first, it's a terrible idea. You can;t toy with an NBA team, even one as dysfunctional as the Rockets. You have to put them away and hope that Portland takes the Clippers to 6 or 7. 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

But they had guys who could shoot in general, and I think you have to factor in that they would be better 3 point shooters in today's game. They would have practiced them a lot more. Here's the thing, the Bulls could learn how to not foul. Curry can't learn how to not be small. He would have gotten beaten up 20 years ago.

Is Curry any smaller than Isiah Thomas? 

12 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

Is Curry any smaller than Isiah Thomas? 

Really, Curry is right around average height for a point guard.  Dude is 6'3".

However, toughness is the question here.  Curry hasn't ever struck me as someone who is particularly tough, and in fact I've seen people get in his head by being rough with him when he drives.  Back in the 80's and 90's, he would have gotten the crap kicked out of him and he wouldn't have the refs in his pocket calling fouls when guys look at him wrong like they do now.  Maybe he adapts, maybe he doesn't, but it was just a different game back then.

To be fair, though, that's true of a lot of modern stars.  

This comic kind of illustrates the point: http://slamdumb.com/images/new_comics/c86.jpg

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That was funny, but Mike was a huge whiner. He worked the refs like no other.

Most stars are whiners (Curry, for example, bitches all the time...as does LeBron, and Wade, and Paul, and all the rest), but Jordan was also used to getting beat up when he drove into the paint, and while he got the benefit of the doubt a lot of the time, it was still a much more physical game when he played.  Hand-checking also made driving to the basket a lot more difficult, something guys don't have to deal with today.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Most stars are whiners (Curry, for example, bitches all the time...as does LeBron, and Wade, and Paul, and all the rest), but Jordan was also used to getting beat up when he drove into the paint, and while he got the benefit of the doubt a lot of the time, it was still a much more physical game when he played.  Hand-checking also made driving to the basket a lot more difficult, something guys don't have to deal with today.

He drew more ticky-tack fouls than any player who ever played the game. Yes, superstars get benefit of the doubt calls all the time, but he was on another strata. 

31 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He got more ticky-tack fouls than any player who ever played the game. Yes, superstars get benefit of the doubt calls all the time, but he was on another strata. 

I was watching some documemtary footage from the old 92 Dream Team. It was a photoshoot taking a picture with Magic, Jordan, and Bird together.

The photographer told them all to move closer together and Magic said "You can't get too close to Mike or its a foul"

I busted out laughing

So sounds like Curry's out at least two weeks. Just about the best possible news for the Warriors though it does up the drama of a Clippers-Warriors round 2 series. It means he's back May 9th or game 4/5 of the 2nd round at the earliest. Curry had an 18 win share. Take him away and theoretically the Warriors are roughly a 55 win team, or basically equal to the Clippers. Setting up to be an absolute dogfight.

I'm sure they're rooting for the Blazers to buy 'em a little time tonight. 

4 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He drew more ticky-tack fouls than any player who ever played the game. Yes, superstars get benefit of the doubt calls all the time, but he was on another strata. 

Watching the Warriors play gives me basically the same feeling.  Anyone looks at Curry wrong and the refs jump to protect him.  I'm surprised the Rockets' court wasn't suspended when Curry got hurt.

13 minutes ago, briantw said:

Watching the Warriors play gives me basically the same feeling.  Anyone looks at Curry wrong and the refs jump to protect him.  I'm surprised the Rockets' court wasn't suspended when Curry got hurt.

Come on. Was there a whistle on that play? Curry doesn't get to the line anywhere near as much as a guy like Harden does, and Jordan beats out Harden. That's not to say that Curry doesn't draw some ticky-tack fouls, but I don't think he compares to guys who live and die on the foul line.

/In other news, OKC closes out Dallas in 5, Charlotte evens up their series with Miami, and The Blazers have a modest lead on the Clips in the 3rd.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Come on. Was there a whistle on that play? Curry doesn't get to the line anywhere near as much as a guy like Harden does, and Jordan beats out Harden. That's not to say that Curry doesn't draw some ticky-tack fouls, but I don't think he compares to guys who live and die on the foul line.

Harden drives to the hoop more than Curry does, and to be honest I hate how much Harden bitches too.  He basically designed his game to draw fouls, and I hate that.  But to be fair, according to Vorped Harden drove to the rim around 250 more times than Curry did, whereas Curry shot 200 more threes.  One of those play styles will result in more fouls called.

Just now, briantw said:

Harden drives to the hoop more than Curry does, and to be honest I hate how much Harden bitches too.  He basically designed his game to draw fouls, and I hate that.  But to be fair, according to Vorped Harden drove to the rim around 250 more times than Curry did, whereas Curry shot 200 more threes.  One of those play styles will result in more fouls called.

Yeah, that's my point. Drawing fouls is not as big a part of Curry's game.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, that's my point. Drawing fouls is not as big a part of Curry's game.

That doesn't really factor in to my point, though.  My point was that Curry gets laughable foul calls constantly.  If someone looks at him wrong, it's a whistle.  

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

If that was true, don't you think he'd drive a little more? I don't know. I can't be objective obviously. 

No, because 1) he doesn't need to, and 2) he's not tough enough to drive and get fouled constantly like bigger guys can.

I hate Harden, but he's a lot bigger than Steph.  That makes a difference when you're driving into traffic.

Archived