NBA 2016 Playoffs Edition: Farewell, Kobe!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, going 73-9 involves an incredible amount of luck.

I meant last year they got the hobbled Cavs in the Finals, and now Curry gets hurt and Chris Paul immediately responds by breaking his shooting hand.  That is the definition of luck.

5 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, going 73-9 involves an incredible amount of luck.

Well, i mean, it really does... 70% skill, 30% luck, and that is being generous. I wouldn't hesitate to say that about the Bulls either. You need to have a near perfect season for that sort of win total, and the Wars certainly did in terms of injuries. 

That said, i feel bad for CP3. Just horrible luck. This guy might be the best player to never make it out of the second round. 

Terrible news about Chris Paul. Out 3-6 weeks with 4 weeks as a likely minimum.

The Clippers are never going to make it past the Warriors now, and thus Paul's season is done.

In the sideline of that news, Griffin has re-injured his quad and is unlikely to play game 5.

And in the sideline of all of that, my bet has taken a turn for the worse. Between Toronto being truly shit, the Clippers injuries and the Heat vs Charlotte series now tied with a nasty feeling that Charlotte might even win this, I find my bet besieged from all sides. Still, not all is lost yet. 

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to suggest that the Warriors should actively throw a game. I was pointing out that they would benefit in the big picture if one of the two series went to six games because the start date for the next serious would be pushed back from April 30th to May 2nd. 

That said, they caught a huge break last night. With Paul likely out for the rest of the season and Griffin reinjuring his quad, the Blazers should be the favorite now. And regardless of who wins, the Warriors should be able to rest Curry for the entire second round. We may still get Warriors v. Spurs after all. 

6 hours ago, Relic said:

Well, i mean, it really does... 70% skill, 30% luck, and that is being generous. I wouldn't hesitate to say that about the Bulls either. You need to have a near perfect season for that sort of win total, and the Wars certainly did in terms of injuries. 

That said, i feel bad for CP3. Just horrible luck. This guy might be the best player to never make it out of the second round. 

Eh, I'd say it's about 90-95% skill. Yeah they won a few games they had no business winning, but this was a rock solid 67 win team last year and their MVP from last year has a legitimate case for the Most Improved Player. Infact, I think he should win it. When you're putting up a +10.8 point differential there's not too much in the way of flukiness going on. Same with the '96 Bulls.   

And fuck these injuries. They continue to degrade what was set up to be one of the more interesting second rounds ever. Warriors-Clippers, if we even get it now, continues to regress as a series. Austin Rivers checking Shaun Livingston is not what I had in mind. And to lose two top 7 players in the NBA in the span of two days is just the worst. 

And per Mark Cuban apparently Russell Westbrook isn't even a superstar so there's one more we just lost. I'm no basketball scientician but proceeding to send Dallas home for the summer with a 36/12/9 line seems pretty good to me. But I'll defer to Cubes on this one - he's on Shark Tank and all. 

19 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Eh, I'd say it's about 90-95% skill. Yeah they won a few games they had no business winning, but this was a rock solid 67 win team last year and their MVP from last year has a legitimate case for the Most Improved Player. Infact, I think he should win it. When you're putting up a +10.8 point differential there's not too much in the way of flukiness going on. Same with the '96 Bulls.   

Yeah, we're talking about the best regular season in the history of the league, and the best total over two seasons. I think it's reductive to call them lucky. Granted, they faced a Cleveland team in the Finals that was hamstrung by injury to significant players, but you can only play the opponent that is in front of you.

I'm with Jaime L on the state of these playoffs. i really wanted to see both of these teams at full strength for this series.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, we're talking about the best regular season in the history of the league, and the best total over two seasons. I think it's reductive to call them lucky. Granted, they faced a Cleveland team in the Finals that was hamstrung by injury to significant players, but you can only play the opponent that is in front of you.

It was just facing a broken Cleveland team. The starting PG of every team they faced last year was out during the playoffs, and they were able to avoid the two teams that could have beaten them in the West, plus OKC was out due to injuries. 

8 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'm with Jaime L on the state of these playoffs. i really wanted to see both of these teams at full strength for this series.

I'll third this. But I do wonder, what percentage of Warriors fans went from yesterday being mad that Houston fans were cheering Curry's injury to today jumping for joy that Paul's hand is broken.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was just facing a broken Cleveland team. The starting PG of every team they faced last year was out during the playoffs, and they were able to avoid the two teams that could have beaten them in the West, plus OKC was out due to injuries. 

I'll third this. But I do wonder, what percentage of Warriors fans went from yesterday being mad that Houston fans were cheering Curry's injury to today jumping for joy that Paul's hand is broken.

Again, you can only face the team that is in front of you. Yeah, they didn't have to play the Spurs, but that's on the Spurs. Same with the Clips, who had Houston dead to rights then failed to put them away. 

You're not going to find me cheering injuries to anyone. I'm as disappointed as any real fan of basketball should be. This is just going to be another asterisk that fans put at the end of the Warrior's season (given that they manage to go all the way, which is not a given at this point)

39 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

72 + 69 is better than 73 + 67.  since i'm feeling picky.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, but those guys got lucky. :D

as a great man once said 'the more i practice the luckier i get', both these teams style of play suggests to me that they trained like crazy to hone their strengths. 

45 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Again, you can only face the team that is in front of you. Yeah, they didn't have to play the Spurs, but that's on the Spurs. Same with the Clips, who had Houston dead to rights then failed to put them away. 

True, but it's also fair to point out the injuries. That, to some degree, is luck. I don't think it's the reason they won the championship, but it was a factor.

These injuries are very normal and unsurprising part of the process when players have to grind through the long reg. season and the physical playoffs. You go into battle with the people standing. That said, I think Curry will be patched up and ready fairly quick, I had a sprained MCL last year and it involves soreness but isnt completely debilitating like a torn ACL, so he should be able too compete well before the WC final round, presumably against the Spurs. Paul is straight Fawked though.

2 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

I gotta say last year's finals were more Cleveland stupidity for trading away Wiggins than Warriors luck.

Because ya know the Western Conference isn't good enough. All the young talent needs to go West

Yeah, because Cleveland knew that Kevin Love would get his shoulder ripped out of the socket by a dirty play in round one of the playoffs.

And come on...Kevin Love is indisputably a better player than Andrew Wiggins right now.  It's not his fault that Kelly Olynyk is a dirty piece of shit.

Archived