NBA 2016 Playoffs Edition: Farewell, Kobe!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

12 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

Got distracted by baseball and apparently missed a half-court shot to tie it!?

Yep.

Of course based on the start of OT, Miami seems deadset on making it irrelevant. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Seriously what are the Hawks doing? Are the Cavs really that bad, or are the Hawks really this bad?

The Hawks are just not equipped to beat the Cavs.  Remember, the Cavs easily swept them last year with Kevin Love out entirely and with Irving out for two of the four games (and he only played 22 minutes in game four).  The Hawks are a great regular season team when teams don't bother scouting for them every night, but as soon as they run into a team with some actual star players in the playoffs and a coach with time to game plan for them, they meet the wood chipper.

Just now, briantw said:

The Hawks are just not equipped to beat the Cavs.  Remember, the Cavs easily swept them last year with Kevin Love out entirely and with Irving out for two of the four games (and he only played 22 minutes in game four).  The Hawks are a great regular season team when teams don't bother scouting for them every night, but as soon as they run into a team with some actual star players in the playoffs and a coach with time to game plan for them, they meet the wood chipper.

That and it seems like the Cavs are finally getting their shit in order. Maybe the Hawks bring that out in them, but they are starting to look like the world beaters they should've been earlier in the season. Maybe the WCF won't be the championship after all. Starting to get a bit excited.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That and it seems like the Cavs are finally getting their shit in order. Maybe the Hawks bring that out in them, but they are starting to look like the world beaters they should've been earlier in the season. Maybe the WCF won't be the championship after all. Starting to get a bit excited.

I'd also say that the Cavs have a habit of playing down to their competition and taking games off during the regular season. Statistically they were pretty great this year, but since they rarely just outright obliterated teams people didn't notice.

On 4/30/2016 at 6:43 PM, Triskan said:

I do realize that Portland was gifted the series due to those injuries, but they did win game 3 with the Clips at full power and had a chance at game 4 as well before Paul and Griffen went down.  Such a surprisingly good season after seeing it blown up last year.  I feel like Stotts got robbed of coach of the year.  It's not that I don't see the case for Kerr.  But they were the loaded defending champs, and look how well they did with Walton in there.  Portland finished about 20 places higher than predicted if you take the whole league.  That is insane.

I don't think they were ever winning that series against the Clippers though, injuries were truly crucial there. They might have won a second game at some point , granted. Clearly they have great team spirit but they really need some improvements in the summer to get better. Lillard and McCollum are basically the only guys you'd want to have as starters, and maybe at a stretch Plumlee at center. Keep the team spirit, but upgrade at SF and PF.

The Raptors play such ugly basketball on offense. Endless ISOs ending with contested long 2s, which are usually taken by two players who have been ice cold the whole playoffs. They should be using Valanciunas way more. In the 4th quarter they don't pass the ball at all and keep stalling until the shot clock gets to less than 8 seconds left and then force a terrible shot. I don't get why they are making it so much harder for themselves with that nonsense.

2 hours ago, David Selig said:

The Raptors play such ugly basketball on offense. Endless ISOs ending with contested long 2s, which are usually taken by two players who have been ice cold the whole playoffs. They should be using Valanciunas way more. In the 4th quarter they don't pass the ball at all and keep stalling until the shot clock gets to less than 8 seconds left and then force a terrible shot. I don't get why they are making it so much harder for themselves with that nonsense.

Yeah, it seems like there is just a huge gap between the top 4 teams in the playoffs and everybody else. I'm not even sure where to rate The Raps or the Heat.

4 hours ago, David Selig said:

Dwayne Casey is a terrible coach when it comes to offense and to top it off DeRozan doesn't pass the ball. It's why even though the Raps are in the second round I'm not enjoying the playoffs.  I know Casey won't be fired now and even though he has played like utter shit I have no doubt they will throw the max at DeRozan.  It's kind of a particular hell for me, I didn't watch the game live yesterday as I just didn't want to watch that shit unless they were going to win.

EDIT:  I forgot to say the one thing that is positive:  JV is awesome, JV is love.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, it seems like there is just a huge gap between the top 4 teams in the playoffs and everybody else. I'm not even sure where to rate The Raps or the Heat.

I'd say there's a huge gap between the top two teams and the next two teams as well.

And the Heat are the second best team in the East and probably the 6th best team in the league w/ Bosh.

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd say there's a huge gap between the top two teams and the next two teams as well.

And the Heat are the second best team in the East and probably the 6th best team in the league w/ Bosh.

I don't know, I think the Cavs are closing the gap, and OKC always has a shot when Durant and Westbrook are on fire. I wouldn't say the gap is huge between those 4 teams 

17 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I don't know, I think the Cavs are closing the gap, and OKC always has a shot when Durant and Westbrook are on fire. I wouldn't say the gap is huge between those 4 teams 

The gap between the top two and the next two is smaller than the gap between the next two and everyone else.

Archived