NBA 2016 Playoffs Edition: Farewell, Kobe!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Good riddance to Kobe. Possibly the most selfish player ever to play the game.

To be fair, I don't think he was any more selfish...and arguably less...than his idol. He was just a little less effective and happened to play in the sg version of what MJ's era was for centres.

He's one of my least favourite athletes of all time, mind, but MJ did all the same things wrong from a behavioural pov, and they both benefited from serious ref deference. If MJ played in the iPad age, w'd have a lot more face to face with his much less appealing angles.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Good riddance to Kobe. Possibly the most selfish player ever to play the game.

Will hopefully be watching the Warriors make history tonight.

Hahah, you are such a hater!

But yeah, I won't really miss Kobe. I DO respect his game, however.

14 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

To be fair, I don't think he was any more selfish...and arguably less...than his idol. He was just a little less effective and happened to play in the sg version of what MJ's era was for centres.

He's one of my least favourite athletes of all time, mind, but MJ did all the same things wrong from a behavioural pov, and they both benefited from serious ref deference. If MJ played in the iPad age, w'd have a lot more face to face with his much less appealing angles.

Eh, I don't have a lot of love for MJ either, but I don't think he was as big a ballhog as Kobe was/is. At the very least, he seemed to understand that deferring to a teammate in the name of a win was acceptable. I'm not sure Kobe ever fully understood that concept. I agree on the ref deference for both players.

14 minutes ago, Relic said:

Hahah, you are such a hater!

But yeah, I won't really miss Kobe. I DO respect his game, however.

Yeah, Lakers hate holds a special place in my heart. It doesn't quite compete with Dodger's hate, but it's up there. 

Seconded about respect for his game. Perennial All-Star, shoe-in HoFer, etc, etc. One of the most dominant players of his era for sure, but I think among the worst in understanding the importance of team.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, I don't have a lot of love for MJ either, but I don't think he was as big a ballhog as Kobe was/is. At the very least, he seemed to understand that deferring to a teammate in the name of a win was acceptable. I'm not sure Kobe ever fully understood that concept. I agree on the ref deference for both players.

Yeah, Lakers hate holds a special place in my heart. It doesn't quite compete with Dodger's hate, but it's up there. 

Hmmmm. MJ's still got the highest ever usage rate (33.26), the only guy in history who used more than 1/3 his team's opps, and more than a full percentage point ahead of anyone else, ever. Kobe's not exactly shy, sitting 4th all time at 31.82, with only Dwade and Iverson between them. 

1 minute ago, James Arryn said:

Hmmmm. MJ's still got the highest ever usage rate (33.26), the only guy in history who used more than 1/3 his team's opps, and more than a full percentage point ahead of anyone else, ever. Kobe's not exactly shy, sitting 4th all time at 31.82, with only Dwade and Iverson between them. 

But isn't MJ's shooting percentage a lot better? All I'm saying is I can remember seeing MJ pass every once in awhile when he was double or triple teamed. Kobe? Not so much.

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

But isn't MJ's shooting percentage a lot better? All I'm saying is I can remember seeing MJ pass every once in awhile when he was double or triple teamed. Kobe? Not so much.

Sure, MJ was more effective...though kobe's taking almost 4,000 more 3's causes a drag on sheer fg%, and in ts% the difference is less extreme. Their assist % is very, very close though, so I'm not sure there was any noticeable difference in willingness to pass.

Don't get me wrong, MJ was the better player, but I think that's almost all about how well they played, not really how they played if you get me.

12 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Sure, MJ was more effective...though kobe's taking almost 4,000 more 3's causes a drag on sheer fg%, and in ts% the difference is less extreme. Their assist % is very, very close though, so I'm not sure there was any noticeable difference in willingness to pass.

Don't get me wrong, MJ was the better player, but I think that's almost all about how well they played, not really how they played if you get me.

I hear ya. They definitely had similar mindsets. I'll give you that. I just don't remember too many Kobe highlights that looked like this...

I thought there was a similar one involving Paxson, but that pass came from Horace Grant.

Maybe this is my Lakers hate coming out, but I always thought of those Bulls teams as actual teams. Not just Jordan and (insert secondary superstar), but fairly complete teams. Whereas I think of the Kobe championship teams as Kobe and Shaq, or Kobe and Gasol.

What an incredible way to finish a career.It's not Kobe's fault the Lakers are trash, and in many ways ownership let him down, but that performance is one hell of a way to finish off a legendary run. Had goosebumps watching the replays this morning. 

I'm not sad to see him go, but I'll miss him anyway. 

I feel like you could read this line without any context and know exactly who it's referring to:

"________ attempted 50 shots Wednesday night, the most taken by anyone in an NBA game in the past 30 seasons, according to STATS."

Amazing game though, going out with a bang and a win. For better or worse it'll be a long time before the NBA sees anyone quite like Kobe again.

And the Warriors. Just wow. I used to play as shooters in the NBA video games and average like 30pts mainly shooting 3s, and setting 3pt records, but I stopped because I thought it was just silly and taking advantage of the mechanics. I was wrong. :lol:

One of the only times I can ever remember rooting for Kobe was last night. I could only see the 1st quarter before work but he was taking some wild ass shots early and it was pretty fun to watch. Awesome that they came back and won too. 

And the Warriors overtook the Bulls. My dad just gave me a morning, "how sour are you?" text. Oh well, at least it wasn't Lebron.

Also, Heat scoring 5 in the 3rd quarter...ouch!!

11 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Agreed with this

Also, good fucking riddance

My predictions for the first round:

East:

Cleveland beats Detroit in 5

Toronto beats Indiana in 6

Miami beats Charlotte in 7

Atlanta beats Boston in 6

West:

Golden state beats Rockets in 4

San Antonio past Memphis in 4

OKC beats Dallas in 5

Clippers beat Trailblazers in 6

Dallas is so bad they really shouldn't take a game but I think they will.

Archived