[Book Spoilers All] Bran’s Growing Powers in S6 Based upon the Reread

evita mgfs

Just now, thehandwipes said:

Heretic in what sense?  I'm atheist in the religious sense, I don't practice enough religion to practice heresy.:)

No - so sorry!  I meant are you a poster in the Heresy thread on the westeros subforums?  Those who post regularly there call themselves Heretics!

Hey - go read sweetsunray's newest thread - I posted seven or eight essays there.

I do not think that Martin follows his mythological influences to the letter - he adds his own spins and twists to these things. But hey, your ideas are as good as any of mine, and definitely worthwhile if they play out!  Lots of good stuff!  I will share one of my ideas as soon as I get it together - it has to do with the fate of the Boltons who violate the laws of hospitality while a Stark is in Winterfell, metaphorically and literally!  Har!

2 minutes ago, thehandwipes said:

Yeah, I think those are them, let me see if I can find a link.

PLEASE LINK ME TO YOUR WRITING!

I'd like to learn more about you as a writer since you have joined our PACK.  I love mythology as well - Greek mostly.  But I read all types.

Do you have a blog?

2 minutes ago, evita mgfs said:

No - so sorry!  I meant are you a poster in the Heresy thread on the westeros subforums?  Those who post regularly there call themselves Heretics!

Hey - go read sweetsunray's newest thread - I posted seven or eight essays there.

I do not think that Martin follows his mythological influences to the letter - he adds his own spins and twists to these things. But hey, your ideas are as good as any of mine, and definitely worthwhile if they play out!  Lots of good stuff!  I will share one of my ideas as soon as I get it together - it has to do with the fate of the Boltons who violate the laws of hospitality while a Stark is in Winterfell, metaphorically and literally!  Har!

There's a Heresy Thread and no one told me!!!  Jeez, I have some exploring to do.

2 minutes ago, thehandwipes said:

There's a Heresy Thread and no one told me!!!  Jeez, I have some exploring to do.

Thank you for the blog, I need a place to start. Yes, I read  one from sweetsunray but I feel I need a book or something before reading these kind of threads...

heresy is a classic in the general forum!!!!! Oh, I love them!!! don't post but follow some of them and I love the RLJ heresy threads

4 minutes ago, evita mgfs said:

PLEASE LINK ME TO YOUR WRITING!

I'd like to learn more about you as a writer since you have joined our PACK.  I love mythology as well - Greek mostly.  But I read all types.

Do you have a blog?

No, I don't have a blog.  My major contributions to ASOIAF fandom involve bitching about D&D after work. 

2 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Thank you for the blog, I need a place to start. Yes, I read  one from sweetsunray but I feel I need a book or something before reading these kind of threads...

heresy is a classic in the general forum!!!!! Oh, I love them!!! don't post but follow some of them and I love the RLJ heresy threads

She knows more about Norse mythology than I ever will, that's for sure.  One of the reasons I've been staying away from the book forum is that some of the stuff on there is so insightful that it must be true, and thus a spoiler.  Most of the book forum is crackpottery nonsense but I was hoping to stay away from some of the really good stuff till after TWOW came out.

23 minutes ago, thehandwipes said:

She knows more about Norse mythology than I ever will, that's for sure.  One of the reasons I've been staying away from the book forum is that some of the stuff on there is so insightful that it must be true, and thus a spoiler.  Most of the book forum is crackpottery nonsense but I was hoping to stay away from some of the really good stuff till after TWOW came out.

You do well. I was spoiled about Jon Snow's death there before reading it. But it was mu fault not reading the rules and going to the General forum.

2 hours ago, evita mgfs said:

Well, the wolf blood comingled with dragon blood creates a beast Jon the warg may not be able to control - at first!

Nevermind. It's not what I thought. 

Bran better hurry up and do what he's gonna do because the show is now possibly going to be cut a little short in season 8 

http://watchersonthewall.com/benioff-and-weiss-reportedly-considering-abbreviated-final-seasons/#more-61433

31 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Nevermind. It's not what I thought. 

Bran better hurry up and do what he's gonna do because the show is now possibly going to be cut a little short in season 8 

http://watchersonthewall.com/benioff-and-weiss-reportedly-considering-abbreviated-final-seasons/#more-61433

seasons 7 and 8.  Its going to start looking like Rome, season 2; but with really bad writing.

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

New challenge @evita mgfs would you apply greek mythology to bran's growing powers? Feel no pressure, Just asking

I am planning such, although I have touched upon Bran's powers mirroring those of Athena who favors the hero Odysseus - Athena conceals him in a grey mist - Athena is the grey-eyed goddess of war and peace and knowledge - do you see anything in that much alone that relates to Bran?  The color grey, the misty disguise, the knowledge, the patrons of both war and peace because ultimately and paradoxically, people go to war seeking peace?

Now, Athena inspires Odysseus, planting brilliant ideas and military strategies in his head, such as the conception of the Trojan Horse.  Likewise, Bran inspires Theon telepathically, bestowing on him "strength, courage, and mercy".

Athena takes many forms, and she is most associated with the owl, a bird we see quite often as a symbol of knowledge.  In Hmer's epics, he refers to this virgin goddess as "owl-eyed" - reminds me of the three-eyed raven, which is an epic convention called a "stock epithet".

Moreover, Athena disguises herself as others, most notably "Mentor", another familiar word garnered from Greek myth.  Mentor is the man whom Odysseus puts in charge of his home while he is off battling at Troy for 10 years - and then another 10 years as he tries desperately to get home to his wife Penelope.  Mentor also "guides" Odysseus' son Telemachus while his father is away.

Have you ever heard a woman called a "Penelope"?  It comes from Homeric myth - it is a woman who stands by her man and never cheats on him, as does Penelope for 20 long years.

My essay on the Boltons violating the laws of hospitality will be strongly related to Homer's Odyssey and the abusive suitors of Penelope who overstay their welcome as guests.  They invade Odysseus home and attempt to court his wife for THREE YEARS.  They do very nasty things such as plot Telemachus' murder, eat and drink Odysseus best stores and wine, force Penelope to choose one of them as a husband, seduce and rape the serving women, and more.

But I will save some of the good stuff for later.

Thanks for asking - I love the Greek myths.

10 hours ago, thehandwipes said:

seasons 7 and 8.  Its going to start looking like Rome, season 2; but with really bad writing.

I've just ranted a bit in the R and R thread about it. Not this topic, but I understand your concerns.

9 hours ago, evita mgfs said:

I am planning such, although I have touched upon Bran's powers mirroring those of Athena who favors the hero Odysseus - Athena conceals him in a grey mist - Athena is the grey-eyed goddess of war and peace and knowledge - do you see anything in that much alone that relates to Bran?  The color grey, the misty disguise, the knowledge, the patrons of both war and peace because ultimately and paradoxically, people go to war seeking peace?

Now, Athena inspires Odysseus, planting brilliant ideas and military strategies in his head, such as the conception of the Trojan Horse.  Likewise, Bran inspires Theon telepathically, bestowing on him "strength, courage, and mercy".

Athena takes many forms, and she is most associated with the owl, a bird we see quite often as a symbol of knowledge.  In Hmer's epics, he refers to this virgin goddess as "owl-eyed" - reminds me of the three-eyed raven, which is an epic convention called a "stock epithet".

Moreover, Athena disguises herself as others, most notably "Mentor", another familiar word garnered from Greek myth.  Mentor is the man whom Odysseus puts in charge of his home while he is off battling at Troy for 10 years - and then another 10 years as he tries desperately to get home to his wife Penelope.  Mentor also "guides" Odysseus' son Telemachus while his father is away.

Have you ever heard a woman called a "Penelope"?  It comes from Homeric myth - it is a woman who stands by her man and never cheats on him, as does Penelope for 20 long years.

My essay on the Boltons violating the laws of hospitality will be strongly related to Homer's Odyssey and the abusive suitors of Penelope who overstay their welcome as guests.  They invade Odysseus home and attempt to court his wife for THREE YEARS.  They do very nasty things such as plot Telemachus' murder, eat and drink Odysseus best stores and wine, force Penelope to choose one of them as a husband, seduce and rape the serving women, and more.

But I will save some of the good stuff for later.

Thanks for asking - I love the Greek myths.

Thank you for your wonderful essays!!

I love the idea of Bran being a font of knowledge /inspiration, like  Athena

16 hours ago, thehandwipes said:

No, I don't have a blog.  My major contributions to ASOIAF fandom involve bitching about D&D after work. 

Sorry I didn't get back to you.  I tried to post and my computer shut down.  The "laughing emoticon" was meant for your response to the Heresy threads, but when I tried to quote you, the wrong text box kept appearing!

I'm going to hit submit before I have more problems.

Hey people!  :)  I noticed up thread talk about the clip of Bran having his arm grabbed.  It was mentioned it may have been the 3ER but I PM'd Evita about it being the Night's King, I was confused.  Anyway, I have found a review of the trailer on line.  It thinks it was the Night's King as well.  Here's the link............

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjo5trTuJHMAhVF2xoKHY1xDiIQFggfMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwinteriscoming.net%2F2016%2F03%2F26%2Fso-a-game-of-thrones-commercial-with-new-footage-just-aired%2F&usg=AFQjCNGQbwgWrv-m7DoDjwbGXZd3WAMUUA

1 hour ago, Wizz-The-Smith said:

I'm having trouble finding the actual clip as well btw.  :dunno:  But this is something I suppose.  :)

I've just found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://lossietereinos.com/entertainment-weekly-publica-nuevas-fotos-oficiales-de-la-sexta-temporada/

just after the EW photos of the girls

but they say that "he may be warging into someone and it's seems it's The Tower of Joy" 

3 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I've just found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://lossietereinos.com/entertainment-weekly-publica-nuevas-fotos-oficiales-de-la-sexta-temporada/

just after the EW photos of the girls

Hey Meera, have you looked at my link?  It seems different to yours?  :dunno:

It's frustrating I don't know how to get that clip here on the thread.  But it seems the Night's King is grabbing Bran's arm in my link.  Your link is obviously the 3ER, but what do you think of mine?  It's about half way down the review.  :)

Archived