How to kill the unGregor?

Hos the Hostage

• 2 weeks later...

If the High Septon wanted to win he'd put a pyromancer or Mel against UnGregor, but since he genuinely believes in the Seven (despite the fact the Lannisters and Gregor spent the last couple of years slaughtering worshipers and clergy of the Seven), he will name some pious chap who will last about 2 seconds. The real chaos would be if the champion can reveal that UnGregor is undead, despite losing. Imagine the chaos that would cause.

On 5/27/2016 at 0:23 AM, Amris said:

This thread and particularly the speculation about unGregor's head gave me another idea:

Are we really sure Ser Robert Strong's role in the story will be solely that of a villain? Wouldn't it be ironical and Martinesque if if turned out this broken thing got onto a kind of path of redemption arc of its own and turn out to be for importance to the resolution of the story?

Say he does have a head (which we can't be sure about but which seems likely) and that head isn't Ser Gregor's. Why do we expect Ser Robert Strong to behave like Ser Gregor v 2.0? And not at least somewhat like the unfortunate person the head was stolen from? (By the way: If he turns out to have no head at all the assumption that he necessarily behaves like Ser Gregor seems even more questionable. Why would he when he doesn't even have his brain?)

Wouldn't it be practical to have a near-unbeatable undead fighter around for the showdown against the White Walkers for instance?

I can't help remembering that GRRM is a big fan of superhero stories - particularly twisted ones with strange powers (WildCards anyone?). Now in TWOIAF he has changed the genre and is clearly trying to reign in his inner super-hero fanboy and hide it behind realism but thematically these characters are all over the place anyway: Women who are immune to fire (on at least one occasion), women who can see things in flames and give birth to shadow creatures, people who can warg into giant wolves and other creatures, a viking who gets a cyber-arm made of fire, persons who can become part of all-seeing trees, persons who keep raising from the dead. A race who can raise whole undead armies and so on.

Mind you - I am not complaining. I am just thinking. With all these thematically super-powered characters around - why can't unGregor not also be one of them? In fact he pretty clearly seems to be one. Even his origin in the lab kind of resembles Wolverine. That does not mean he suddenly is a completly good guy. But turning out to have something to do in the end which does help bring a positive resolution about? Why not?

I had a similar thought to this. 

I also had this idea - We have the theme of swords without hilts. Qyburn is a smug bastard who thinks he's so very clever. It would be interesting if once the Other's cross the wall that Ser Strong is conscripted into being some sort of boss level Wight. 

If I had to take out Robert Strong, I would not feel comfortable in the attempt unless I was sitting in the gunner seat of a Tiger tank with a high explosive anti tank projectile loaded and ready. I don't see him being as vulnerable to fire as a wight since he is not animated with ice magic, and if you just tossed a moltov cocktail on him all that would do is scorch his armor. You couldn't really burn him up inside the armor since it would effectively starve the fire of enough oxygen to fully incinerate him. You would have to get the armor off of him first in order to burn him effectively enough to destroy the body. I suppose that Dragon fire might be hot enough to melt the armor off him and burn the body, or maybe wyldfire. The best bet would probably be to just lure him into an old stone tower and collapse it on him somehow. He might not be dead, but he would be trapped all the same. It could make for an interesting sequel story when someone excavates that tower 500 years later and gets a surprise.

I think in terms of how alive "Robert Strong" really is, he is more comparable with the wights than with Beric or Lady Stoneheart. While Beric and Lady Stoneheart can act against Thoros' will, indicating they're properly alive despite their undead bodies, "Robert Strong" appears to be a puppet of Qyburn. Hence targeting the pupetteer seems to be a good idea to get rid of him. It would also ensure that Qyburn doesn't create any new undead monsters.

If targeting Qyburn is impossible, the best ways to kill the wight would be fire or dismembering. An undead man without limbs is no threat any more. However, fire is difficult to wield in trial by combat, and dismembering will be difficult with the thick armour the wight is wearing.

During trial by combat, the best way to go would be trying to knock the helmet or the head off, exposing Robert Strong as the undead thing he is, which would probably render the trial invalid. And then quickly get away from the ensuing mayhem. That would probably not just get you rid of "Robert Strong" but Qyburn and Cersei would end up dead or exiled as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 7:06 PM, Hos the Hostage said:

While there has been a lot of hype regarding who will defeat unGregor aka Ser Robert Strong (Hound, Jaime, Sansa, Lancel among the main candidates proposed by fans), I have not read much about exactly how any of these people will succeed in killing an already dead man.

Gregor is a big man, and even before going through Qyburn's experiments, it was very difficult for anyone to defeat the Mountain.  Normal methods of killing him would be:

1. Beheading (Slaying)
    • We don't even know if he has a proper head. He was beheaded once and since he survived that, Aurane Waters may be wrong in japing "I am told that removing the head from the body is often mortal."
  2. Wounding him mortally
    • The man does not eat, does not go to privy. Qyburn has been experimenting with blood. Beric lived on with all the wounds.
  3. Poisoning
    • Oberyn must have ensured that Gregor was poisoned enough to die even if Oberyn lost the duel. Melisandre survived the strangler. Poison may not affect Gregor.

Unlikely scenarios: Suffocating or drowning would not work on him either. Other options are crushing/tearing him to smithereens(Arya's pack or Aegon's elephants  - not that unlikely), or burning him to crisp (Dragons).

We don't know what kind of magic Qyburn used on Gregor, but let us look at other undead- Beric died by passing the kiss of life to Catelyn. Fire and normal weapons can kill wights. Dragonglass and dragonsteel wielded by an unskilled person can kill the Others. If unGregor is like wights, maybe a good fighter like the Hound or Brienne can finish him off. Hopefully it is the case. But if he is more like Others, then even Sansa or Tommen can kill him - LF's dagger of destiny is accessible to Sansa, and Tommen is the owner of Widow's Wail.

I think it's very likely that unGregor fights his brother, the Monk still.  And I think that the only way to really kill unGregor is with fire.  So, the Hound has to get over his fear of fire (and actually have access to an open flame) in order to finish off his brother.  I don't know if it will be part of Cersei's trial or not, but this fight just seems inevitable. 

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:01 AM, Not_A_Quokka said:

The puzzling part is, in the books, Cersei sent the Martells the Mountain's skull (or so the Lannisters claimed).  If that huge skull was not Gregors, whose skull was it?  Is it possible that "Strong" is not the Mountain after all?  

Qyburn had access to a lot of bodies.  Given the size of the Mountain, it must be the mountain's skull they sent.  But not necessarily his brain.  There's a good chance that it's not the Mountain's head under that armor.  It's got to be his body, though. 

Speaking of which, how many zombies does Qyburn have in his laboratory, anyway?  Cersei sent a lot of live and dead bodies to him for his experiments....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is from a Tyrion chapter in ASOS,

Near the kennels a group of men-at-arms were fighting a pair of dogs. Tyrion stopped long enough to see the smaller dog tear half the face off the larger one, and earned a few coarse laughs by observing that the loser now resembled Sandor Clegane.

This is an unsubtle foreshadowing for unmasking of Robert Strong, probably at the hands of the Hound. Removing the helm of Strong in public will be a big deal because it will not only mean Strong will lose his standing as a Kingsguard or even a person, but it will also expose Cersei's lack of integrity as a queen mother. If Cleganebown does happen, it will probably mean Hound will die but will bring the truth about Strong out in the open. After that Strong's fate is anyone guess, maybe even that he is set on fire or wildfire, or destroyed by a bunch of soldiers.

On 15. 7. 2016 at 2:00 AM, Maester Vargo said:

Qyburn had access to a lot of bodies.  Given the size of the Mountain, it must be the mountain's skull they sent.  But not necessarily his brain.  There's a good chance that it's not the Mountain's head under that armor.  It's got to be his body, though. 

Speaking of which, how many zombies does Qyburn have in his laboratory, anyway?  Cersei sent a lot of live and dead bodies to him for his experiments....

Well Gregor was big, but there are plenty of big heads going around. Like some dwarves even.

The skull sent to Dorne is not Clegane's.

• 3 weeks later...

The Mountain still is on Arya's list. She will be able to see through the magic that Qyburn has created around Ser Robert Strong and thus identifry him as Ser Gregor Clegane. She will spy on Ser Robert through the eyes of one of the cats in KL. By that she will find out that regularly Ser Robert has to return (at night of course) into Qyburn's laboratory to get a blood transfusion or something comparable, obviously necessary to keep Ser Robert alive. So she decides to kill Qyburn, knowing that as a consequence also Ser Robert will die - R.I.P.

Archived