How to kill the unGregor?

Hos the Hostage

While there has been a lot of hype regarding who will defeat unGregor aka Ser Robert Strong (Hound, Jaime, Sansa, Lancel among the main candidates proposed by fans), I have not read much about exactly how any of these people will succeed in killing an already dead man.

Gregor is a big man, and even before going through Qyburn's experiments, it was very difficult for anyone to defeat the Mountain.  Normal methods of killing him would be:

1. Beheading (Slaying)
    • We don't even know if he has a proper head. He was beheaded once and since he survived that, Aurane Waters may be wrong in japing "I am told that removing the head from the body is often mortal."
  2. Wounding him mortally
    • The man does not eat, does not go to privy. Qyburn has been experimenting with blood. Beric lived on with all the wounds.
  3. Poisoning
    • Oberyn must have ensured that Gregor was poisoned enough to die even if Oberyn lost the duel. Melisandre survived the strangler. Poison may not affect Gregor.

Unlikely scenarios: Suffocating or drowning would not work on him either. Other options are crushing/tearing him to smithereens(Arya's pack or Aegon's elephants  - not that unlikely), or burning him to crisp (Dragons).

We don't know what kind of magic Qyburn used on Gregor, but let us look at other undead- Beric died by passing the kiss of life to Catelyn. Fire and normal weapons can kill wights. Dragonglass and dragonsteel wielded by an unskilled person can kill the Others. If unGregor is like wights, maybe a good fighter like the Hound or Brienne can finish him off. Hopefully it is the case. But if he is more like Others, then even Sansa or Tommen can kill him - LF's dagger of destiny is accessible to Sansa, and Tommen is the owner of Widow's Wail.

Fill a clay pot with lamp oil. Soak a rag in lamp oil, and stick it firmly in the clay pot's opening. Ignite the rag, and throw. The end result should be a well-roasted zombie-in-a-can. For more spectacular results, use Wildfire instead of lamp oil.

Well if Qyburn has complete control of UnGregor, which seems to be the case then maybe he'll die under the command of Qyburn.

I Imagine cutting whatever is in place of his head off, would kill him, or even having to go as far as chopping him into pieces. 

Maybe as part of a bigger plot, with Qyburn possibly working for the Martells, UnGregor will allow himself to be chopped to pieces in Cersei's trial and therefore having her sentenced to death. 

14 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

I'd have to go with fire.

It would be a poetic justice, wouldn't it?

I personally don't believe in Cleganebowl and I think that Gregor will win the trial for Cersei (bye, Lancel!), but he can't hang around forever, so this is actually a good question... Maybe Qyburn's magic has a time/fuel limit?

On 4/18/2016 at 0:38 PM, John Suburbs said:

Get him caught in an industrial drill press and watch the little red lights go out in his eyes.

I like this one.  I was going to say garlic or a silver bullet, but this idea is probably better.

The puzzling part is, in the books, Cersei sent the Martells the Mountain's skull (or so the Lannisters claimed).  If that huge skull was not Gregors, whose skull was it?  Is it possible that "Strong" is not the Mountain after all?  

On 4/21/2016 at 3:01 AM, Not_A_Quokka said:

The puzzling part is, in the books, Cersei sent the Martells the Mountain's skull (or so the Lannisters claimed).  If that huge skull was not Gregors, whose skull was it?  Is it possible that "Strong" is not the Mountain after all?  

After Cersei put out a price on Tyrion's head, several people brought her the heads of various dwarfs - it was likely one of those.  Perhaps even Penny's brother.

Fire is the obvious answer, and if there is a Cleganebowl it would be a fitting symbol. Wildfire (which appears to be getting stronger) would be a great option.

I still believe Nym and her pack would be able to kill him, by sheer numbers alone if nothing else, once he's on the ground they could probably tear him to pieces (dismembering) by simply pulling from each limb.

Finally, a wood chipper, it pretty much trumps anything.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2016 at 6:06 PM, Hos the Hostage said:

While there has been a lot of hype regarding who will defeat unGregor aka Ser Robert Strong (Hound, Jaime, Sansa, Lancel among the main candidates proposed by fans), I have not read much about exactly how any of these people will succeed in killing an already dead man.

Gregor is a big man, and even before going through Qyburn's experiments, it was very difficult for anyone to defeat the Mountain.  Normal methods of killing him would be:

1. Beheading (Slaying)
    • We don't even know if he has a proper head. He was beheaded once and since he survived that, Aurane Waters may be wrong in japing "I am told that removing the head from the body is often mortal."
  2. Wounding him mortally
    • The man does not eat, does not go to privy. Qyburn has been experimenting with blood. Beric lived on with all the wounds.
  3. Poisoning
    • Oberyn must have ensured that Gregor was poisoned enough to die even if Oberyn lost the duel. Melisandre survived the strangler. Poison may not affect Gregor.

Unlikely scenarios: Suffocating or drowning would not work on him either. Other options are crushing/tearing him to smithereens(Arya's pack or Aegon's elephants  - not that unlikely), or burning him to crisp (Dragons).

We don't know what kind of magic Qyburn used on Gregor, but let us look at other undead- Beric died by passing the kiss of life to Catelyn. Fire and normal weapons can kill wights. Dragonglass and dragonsteel wielded by an unskilled person can kill the Others. If unGregor is like wights, maybe a good fighter like the Hound or Brienne can finish him off. Hopefully it is the case. But if he is more like Others, then even Sansa or Tommen can kill him - LF's dagger of destiny is accessible to Sansa, and Tommen is the owner of Widow's Wail.

Force him to listen to Dany recite her titles a minimum of three times. :cheers:

But yes, fire. Or trap him in a pit with Nymeria and her pack. That would be wildly entertaining. 

This thread and particularly the speculation about unGregor's head gave me another idea:

Are we really sure Ser Robert Strong's role in the story will be solely that of a villain? Wouldn't it be ironical and Martinesque if if turned out this broken thing got onto a kind of path of redemption arc of its own and turn out to be for importance to the resolution of the story?

Say he does have a head (which we can't be sure about but which seems likely) and that head isn't Ser Gregor's. Why do we expect Ser Robert Strong to behave like Ser Gregor v 2.0? And not at least somewhat like the unfortunate person the head was stolen from? (By the way: If he turns out to have no head at all the assumption that he necessarily behaves like Ser Gregor seems even more questionable. Why would he when he doesn't even have his brain?)

Wouldn't it be practical to have a near-unbeatable undead fighter around for the showdown against the White Walkers for instance?

I can't help remembering that GRRM is a big fan of superhero stories - particularly twisted ones with strange powers (WildCards anyone?). Now in TWOIAF he has changed the genre and is clearly trying to reign in his inner super-hero fanboy and hide it behind realism but thematically these characters are all over the place anyway: Women who are immune to fire (on at least one occasion), women who can see things in flames and give birth to shadow creatures, people who can warg into giant wolves and other creatures, a viking who gets a cyber-arm made of fire, persons who can become part of all-seeing trees, persons who keep raising from the dead. A race who can raise whole undead armies and so on.

Mind you - I am not complaining. I am just thinking. With all these thematically super-powered characters around - why can't unGregor not also be one of them? In fact he pretty clearly seems to be one. Even his origin in the lab kind of resembles Wolverine. That does not mean he suddenly is a completly good guy. But turning out to have something to do in the end which does help bring a positive resolution about? Why not?

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:01 AM, Not_A_Quokka said:

Cersei has received lots of larger then normal heads from people claiming to have slain Tyrion.  I assume one of those was sent to Dorne or maybe they did send the Mountain's head and Ser Strong has one of the others. 

Archived