New Zealand is the Best Country in the World, It's official

The Anti-Targ

If you don't believe me, believe the internet.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2992269/new-zealand-leaps-into-global-spotlight-voted-worlds-best-country-in-2016/

"most desirable tourist destinations on the planet."

New Zealand recently bagged nearly all the accolades during the prestigious 2016 World Countries Awards. These included “best country in the world award,” “most beautiful capital city award,” “best food in the world award,” “nicest” as well as “smartest people award,” “most handsome men” and “most beautiful women award” and “most humble people award.”
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2992269/new-zealand-leaps-into-global-spotlight-voted-worlds-best-country-in-2016/#TLT2FZkejph8BS97.99

Seems like maybe there might have been a few too many New Zealanders voting in this thing. Most handsome men and most beautiful women?... highly debatable wins there.

Being from Wellington I'll strongly agree with most beautiful capital city. We have dolphins! Isn't that a win by default?

My grandmother was quite the world traveler and visited practically every corner of the globe. I had a chance to ask her, "Which of all these places" she visited, was her favorite?  She insisted, "New Zealand was the fairest of them all."

1 minute ago, Gears of the Beast said:

And best food? The fuck? 

Hey, marmite isn't that bad.

I can't help but think this is a classic case of "the grass is greener on the other side". I mean, we do have some stuff going for us - we've got some pretty scenery, and are the place to be if World War III ever breaks out, but if you're not a property owner in Auckland or Wellington, life isn't particularly stellar right now (I was talking with a WINZ worker the other day, who says the Dunedin job market is the worst she's ever seen it, and of course Christchurch is still screwed five years on).

If the grass is greener, it's only because of yet another unsustainable dairy venture from ****ing Fonterra.

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

How is it as a place to live, as far as the economy and cost of living is concerned? If you actually have to earn your living there?

Cost of living varies. Auckland and Wellington are expensive (house prices in Auckland are ludicrous, with demand spurred by overseas speculators). Dunedin (aka New Zealand's Rust Belt) is cheap to live, but then there's no jobs (if everywhere south of the Waitaki River vanished, I doubt the Government would notice). Christchurch had its earthquake five years ago, and has yet to recover. Sheep and beef farmers have been driven out by dairy, even in places like the Canterbury Plains and Central Otago which are too damn dry for it, and now there's an international dairy downturn. 

Perhaps I'm being a bit negative - I'd sooner be poor in New Zealand (which still has a functioning welfare state and public health care system) than in the US, and stuff like ACC is a national treasure. But there's a reason we've traditionally exported people.

I feel like it should be pointed out that the poll was about "best place to visit for British tourists", not "best country to live in". Which has been Norway for 12 years running.

As an aside, from someone who lives there, this is slightly dispiriting. I can't help but feel that "the best country in the world" should be a little less aggravating. Anyway, carry on.

1 hour ago, lacuna said:

I feel like it should be pointed out that the poll was about "best place to visit for British tourists", not "best country to live in". Which has been Norway for 12 years running.

As an aside, from someone who lives there, this is slightly dispiriting. I can't help but feel that "the best country in the world" should be a little less aggravating. Anyway, carry on.

Perhaps it simply means that everywhere else is even more aggravating? ;)

22 minutes ago, The Knight of Flours said:

i just googled the prestigious (ha!) "World Countries Awards" and my results show Iceland winning the same awards for 2016.  Further down the page are results which appear to show Tunisia, South Africa, Egypt and (lol) Albania also winning these 'honours'.

I found the same, but I think that's just one clickbait-site misrepresenting the original Daily Telegraph poll or something.

46 minutes ago, Leap said:

A few highlights were meeting some Maori, who talked about their way of life amidst all the reservation bullshit.

Eh? New Zealand doesn't have Maori reservations. It has Maori land, yes, but not reservations. One of our redeeming features is that (unlike Australia and North America) our colonial government never went genocidal on the native population.

25 minutes ago, ~Spoiler~ ~Spoiler~s Pet Leech said:

Eh? New Zealand doesn't have Maori reservations. It has Maori land, yes, but not reservations. One of our redeeming features is that (unlike Australia and North America) our colonial government never went genocidal on the native population.

IIRC they even helped the native population go genocidal on the Moriori, what a robust friendship!

Archived