Drink-o-philes...Rum!

Jaxom 1974

So we're prepping for "Administrative Assistant Day" which is later this month and the boss told me to get the Assistant, "A nice bottle of rum, she likes rum.  And a mixer for it." 

I need some recommendations.  I'm not big into rum, so I don't really know what qualifies as a step up from Captain Morgan or Bacardi.  Anyone have any ideas?

I like Appleton Estate a lot, but granted; I'm not nearly as versed in run as I am bourbon. Their 15-year-old rum is great for sipping on it's own. If you are mixing it (which it sounds like what your assistant will do with it) just get their signature blend, which is probably comparable to a bottle of Makers Mark if we're comparing rum and bourbon.

Cheap awesome rum great for mixers is the Cruzan two year. Good flavor, runs about 10 a bottle.

Appleton is good. I prefer lighter rums to dark. I also prefer Barbados rums -barbacort is a good one.

I actually looked into this in some detail recently. There is a pretty big variety of rums, categorizable very loosely by the spoken language of the region where it's produced: Spanish, English, and French speaking regions tend to be stylistically similar. I'm cribbing pretty much directly from what I referenced when I was researching, here.

Spanish-speaking: molasses-based, short ferment, crisper flavor.

English-speaking: molasses-based, longer ferment, darker.

French-speaking: cane juice-based, woodier flavor.

There is a good chance if your recipient is going to mix it that she doesn't care about any of that shit, but:

Appleton Estate is a generally-fine reference point, no one is going to think badly of you if you just buy that.

Some examples by style, this list again stolen wholesale:

Light Cuban-style: Flor de Cana Extra Dry, Cruzan

Dark Jamaican rum: Coruba

Barbados rum: Plantation

Demerara rum: El Dorado 5 year

EDIT: My serious, not-joking advice: buy something in the price range you want to spend that has a cool bottle. If they are not serious about their booze they will ooh and ahh and mix it in a glass with ice and Coke and that will be that.

15 hours ago, Inigima said:

EDIT: My serious, not-joking advice: buy something in the price range you want to spend that has a cool bottle. If they are not serious about their booze they will ooh and ahh and mix it in a glass with ice and Coke and that will be that.

This is good advice.

On 4/15/2016 at 6:28 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

I liked the fucked-up funky rums like Smith and Cross or Rhum Barbancourt. I can ask my colleague which rum he gave me recently. It was really gnarly.

But if you just need a bitchin' bottle, why not Kraken?

This.

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:28 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

I liked the fucked-up funky rums like Smith and Cross or Rhum Barbancourt. I can ask my colleague which rum he gave me recently. It was really gnarly.

But if you just need a bitchin' bottle, why not Kraken?

I agree as well.  I posted a picture of the Kraken bottle on facebook before Christmas and got oohs and ahs from people who hadn't seen it before.  And the spiced rum is very, very nice, especially if it will just be drunk with something like a coke.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I agree as well.  I posted a picture of the Kraken bottle on facebook before Christmas and got oohs and ahs from people who hadn't seen it before.  And the spiced rum is very, very nice, especially if it will just be drunk with something like a coke.

Exactly! Kraken is not actually bad, as far as spiced rum is concerned. We made some great cocktails with it in Reno.

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 2:36 AM, Hereward said:

Don't forget the sodomy and the lash part. It's traditional.

My Grandfather drank Navy rum all his life after the navy got him hooked on it. No idea if it's any good, probably not since they used to hand it in rather large quantities (was it actually Lamb's Navy rum they used?).

Sodom and the lash never really came up.

Archived