The Expanse #2: Caliban's Thread - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

New thread, old one's closed -- and we've got news!

Bobbie Draper cast:  NZ native Frankie Adams.

Ty: So, we found an actress in New Zealand named Frankie Adams. She’s been a local star in NZ for a while and played a variety of parts and is also an amateur female boxer. And she’s 6ft tall. She’s tall, she’s athletic, she can act, and she’s Samoan. She had a lot of range to her. People in the States haven't seen her before, so she’ll seem knew to them even though she has a lot of experience. I think people are going to be really excited to see her.

Season 2 will be the last third of Leviathan Wakes mixed in with Caliban's War. How much of CW I don't know. With nine books to get through they certainly can't take 1.3 seasons for each novel, so there's likely to be some hefty condensing and amalgamating going on.

Looks like a good choice for what had to be a tough casting search.   :thumbsup:   I liked this blurb by Ty from DA's blog:

Frankie is also coming to the show ready to work. She’ll be spending a month or so with some of the toughest ex-military trainers we could find, getting her into the peak physical condition of a spec ops warrior. By the time she’s done, she won’t be playing Bobbie, she’ll damn well be the gunny.

I've honestly always pictured Bobbie as Private Vasquez from Aliens, so I'll just have to get used to her not being Vasquez. I'm looking forward to having Bobbie is season 2. 

I think we'll see basically the whole of book 2 in season 2.

• We'll have 13 episodes instead of 10.
  • Protogen and Mao-Kwik seem to be one and the same which should take away some of the plots at the end of book 1 and book 2.
  • Avasarala has already been introduced. Even though she still has the same plot to go through, the introduction saves some time.
  • Some time in the first season was taken up by stories from the novellas.

6 minutes ago, Steinman said:

I think we'll see basically the whole of book 2 in season 2.

Ty says:

The first book will get finished and the second book will be dramatized.

So no, unfortunately, book 2 won't be finished. Which is quite puzzling to say the least. How many years do they want the show to last?

Given the low ratings, season 3 doesn't even seem guaranteed. I guess the show is very successful on the web.

On 15/04/2016 at 1:14 AM, SpaceChampion said:

New thread, old one's closed -- and we've got news!

Bobbie Draper cast:  NZ native Frankie Adams.

Not every show finds its footing in season 2 - heroes, prison break, True detective (but an anthology). But the statement is generally true - especially with sci-fi where there's a lot of world-building to do at first.

22 hours ago, Relic said:

Wait, so how is this going to work? Will season 2 be the second half of book one or an amalgamation of books 1 and 2? 

I'm hoping for an amalgamation. I think it would be possible to have things going on concurrently in some cases. The show seems shy of showing too much in the way of protomolecule monsters too. My memory is vague regarding the early books but I guess they could have Miller die as part of the gate opening and have him involved in CW (not the network!) type events if they wanted to?

I do think there are plenty of opportunities to speed up or expand where appropriate in the show. If they hit Cibola Burn I'm not sure it would be tv gold as a 10 episode story but if they intermingle it with Avasrala/Butcher sol-based storylines that lead into Nemesis games it could be airtime better spent. Season 4 is a long way off though. Hopefully season 2 is action packed and crammed full of greatness resulting in more buzz/viewers and getting season 3 a go.

Not sure how much discussion the Blu-Ray release of The Expanse got in the other thread, but am I the only one who thinks the Blu-Ray release was a huge letdown?  I was really hoping for some behind the scenes, or featurettes on the making of, interviews with the writers, all that good stuff, but there are only a couple deleted scenes from the pilot and that is all.  No commentaries, extremely basic menus, and jack all for content.  This is not a cheap Blu-Ray either.  The audio video quality is fine, but the complete lack of special features is just so disappointing.

I was very disappointed in the lack of features found in the product description. Based on how involved the cast and crew were when it aired and the videos SyFy provided us with at the time, I expected a packed disc release. Not on GoT's level, but some commentaries and interviews at least, and hopefully a making-of. Still ordered it though, as I hadn't paid anything for this great series earier...

I'm just getting my Blu-Rays today (shipping over the Atlantic takes a long time) so I hope I can experience the quality of the video and audio at least.

Yeah, I mean the price of the 2-disc set is the same amount I paid for a Game of Thrones Season 5 set.  Comparing the extras, there is simply no comparison. And they had done all of those short featurettes that they posted on YouTube and on their site, so it seemed like a no-brainer to included them in extended forms! 

• 2 months later...

Bobbie revealed!

- Bobbie's story starts earlier than her entrance in Caliban's War, to see what the Martian perspective is on all that's going on a little better, and get to know her and her squad.

- She's the first character we see in Season 2 though, from the sounds of it.

- They of course have moved up the events of Caliban's War by about 18 months.  I wouldn't be surprised if events on Ganymede breaks out before the Eros storyline takes the plunge.

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Bobbie revealed!

- Bobbie's story starts earlier than her entrance in Caliban's War, to see what the Martian perspective is on all that's going on a little better, and get to know her and her squad.

- She's the first character we see in Season 2 though, from the sounds of it.

- They of course have moved up the events of Caliban's War by about 18 months.  I wouldn't be surprised if events on Ganymede breaks out before the Eros storyline takes the plunge.

First, the reason they gave in changing timelines seems sensible. It may be one of those butterfly effect changes, but right it looks like a right choice. We will see.

Second, I appreciate those Martian Marine armored suits. Once again, I am overjoyed with the effort the production team has been putting in bring the world of the Expanse to life.

On Frankie Adams, I wonder if she will have her native accent or some other accent. Did Bobbie have a NZ accent? I was impressed that they gave Alex the Texan accent he is supposed to have.

Archived