The Expanse #2: Caliban's Thread - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

7 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

But, Relic, this release schedule is pretty standard for tv shows with start date nearly one year later from previous start date.  That's typical whether it's a season with 24 episodes or 8 episodes.  

Cool. Honestly it seems like its been much longer since the first season aired. Not sure why. Anyway i hope SyFy markets this second season better than it did the first, i really want to see this succeed. 

It does feel a bit longer, but I attribute that to the earlier online digital release of the premiere about 3 weeks(Nov 23 for the digital premiere and Dec 14 for the official premiere) before the television premiere. The first season simply felt, rightly so, quite stretched out due to that early release ahead of the official premiere on SyFy.

On 27/07/2016 at 11:36 PM, Relic said:

Just seems this show has a very weird release schedule, to me. Attention spans being what they are today, and all. The strange debut maybe clouding my perception of things. Not at all bothered about the wait, television isn't really on the forefront of my brain these days. Sorry to offend. (well only sorry to have wasted Daniel's time really, the rest of you can kiss my ass :D )

I think it's because the show seemed to be in the can a long time before it aired. We had trailers and photos for months and months before the first season aired, much longer than normal, and then they had the first episode previewed at Comic-Con (IIRC). So it's been a year since the first episode was out in the wild and another six or seven months before we see Season 2. So although the seasons are only airing slightly further apart than normal, I can see where the feeling that this has been unfolding too slowly has come from. Hopefully from now onwards the seasons will go out at more standard intervals.

The lack of international sales was a really big mistake by SyFy. HBO and CBS both made their star shows (GoT and now Star Trek Beyond) profitable before shooting a single frame of sales by pre-selling the series. SyFy should have really gone for that angle as well. The fact they haven't and it will now only be available in the UK on Amazon Prime (where very, very few people will watch it) is a mistake.

Yeah, but it will not do us any good if the show isnt renewed for a third season.

Although given the delightful recent renewal of 12 Monkeys and the faith SyFy seems to have in The Expanse, maybe things are not so grim...

• 3 weeks later...

Season 2 feels too early for Clarissa anyway, given we're not even through the first book in terms of plot. I imagine season 2 won't get into book 3. Not sure what major characters are left that Cara Gee could be playing--may be a minor character that is beefed up for the show. One of Wendell's security crew? 

21 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Any thoughts on which character this Cara Gee actress is playing?  Not Clarissa Mao.

I don't think she looks the part, but my guess is the chief engineer lady of Tycho who helps to fix the Rochi on numerous occasions. I can't remember her name. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I don't think she looks the part, but my guess is the chief engineer lady of Tycho who helps to fix the Rochi on numerous occasions. I can't remember her name. 

Samara Rosenberg. All she really needs is red hair.

This is a good question.  I'm kind of leaning away from Sam because while she is badass, I'm pretty sure you don't really see that until book 3.

Better question is what events are likely happening around Episode 8 that would qualify for favorite moment in TV show ever.

Personally I feel like the Martians engaging the UN ships chasing the Roci on the way to Io has some pretty big dramatic potential, especially since on television we can see it from the perspective of the Martian bridge.

I could see her being from Wendell's crew, but that seems like to late for ep 8 (my timeline prediction has book one wrapped by Ep 3).

So what minor chars have the potential for a moment of awesome is probably the correct question to be asking, particular around whereever ep 8 would fall in the Season 2 timeline.

12 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Fortunately, Syfy is really good with their on demand menu... So If anyone has that as part of their cable package, a rewatch is easy 

Except you still have to wade through commercials. Better to watch it on their website.

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Except you still have to wade through commercials. Better to watch it on their website.

If it's anything like Killjoys, not really. They take a 15 second break, (one short commercial) and then its back to the show... But thanks for the heads up if they change up for the Expanse... owe you a beer.

• 1 month later...

Archived