The Expanse #2: Caliban's Thread - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

Great content material from book and very good episode.  I thought both Naomi, Miller and even Holden were well played.

I just wish they had captured...

Spoiler

... that amazing visceral stunning moment when Eros shouts DON'T YOU FUCKING TOUCH ME in Julie's voice as it dodges.  I can think of why they didn't do it and why it might not have worked.  And I guess they did not truly set up that someone had or had attempted to rape Julie back when she was on Ceres to give it background from her prior experience.  Still missed it though.

http://www.obooksbooks.com/books/2742_116.html

4 hours ago, Wethers said:

Great content material from book and very good episode.  I thought both Naomi, Miller and even Holden were well played.

I just wish they had captured...

Hide contents

... that amazing visceral stunning moment when Eros shouts DON'T YOU FUCKING TOUCH ME in Julie's voice as it dodges.  I can think of why they didn't do it and why it might not have worked.  And I guess they did not truly set up that someone had or had attempted to rape Julie back when she was on Ceres to give it background from her prior experience.  Still missed it though.

http://www.obooksbooks.com/books/2742_116.html

I, too, wished they had put that awesome line in the scene. But overall, another good episode.

It would have been a bit jarring to hear that when they haven't set up the idea of Eros really communicating, other than the unintelligible feed. I was really pleased how it came out, I couldn't picture how they'd frame it considering you've only got space as a back drop.....but doing it from Miller's point of view and then seeing it on the view screen accompanied by Amos's "What........the........fuck" worked really well. I seem to remember the book has some really clunky dialogue from Naomi about how no, dear reader, it's not magic it's science. Hope they drop that in the next episode.

As far as Eros being intelligible, in the books,

Spoiler

Eros is speaking intelligible words well beforehand, albeit rambling with many voices interspersed in different languages.  Julie's voice is in there beforehand too and Miller hears it while he is still on Tycho preparing for the mission, but does not connect the dots.

"Do what you need to do."  Taken from a message Julie had sent to her mother in response to emotional blackmail, which Miller had found back on Ceres.  Eros includes the phrase in its ramblings.

But the show (which I love) chose not to include that bit, chose not to include the implication that Julie was raped (only groped, which she easily overcame in the show) and took up martial arts in response, chose not to make Eros intelligible beforehand etc.  I get it - they didn't set it up so they didn't do it, and maybe it was even the right decision.  Just slightly disappointed while being happy overall.

I thought I remembered in the books that Eros!Julie talked about the Razorback, which the show definitely set up.  I expected something like that.  Or something she said to her father in her video mail. Mostly I was just waiting for the voices to become intelligible.  A simple "NO!" at the moment Eros shifted out of orbit would have had some impact.  

9 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm not sure how exactly it could have been jarring.  Eros has been broadcasting techno babble music stuff already.  It's just a tiny step from there to intelligible words.  

In the book, we hear the words and know that it is the protomolecule speaking through Julie, using a phrase we know she's used. It's a cool bit, but without that previous exposition you'd be left thinking the station had just grown a mouth and they'd just jumped the shark massively. Had they gone that way in the show, the line would've been spoilt by all the questions attached to it; who said that? Is Julie alive then? Was that her speaking? Is she controlling Eros? Or was it someone on the open com link? All this at the exact moment we're supposed to be marvelling that the station moved at all. It'd be too much all at once. 

It's possible they've intentionally held back all this and they're going to flesh out Miller's trip inside, so he discovers exactly what the protomolecule is doing to these people as we do (and this probably will make for some really effective, creepy scenes).

6 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

One conversation I've missed is where Holden and Miller discuss why he shot the scientist and Miller points out that the scientist was starting to make sense.  iirc, Miller has only had that conversation with Naomi on the show.

Totally. I couldn't remember whether we read that from Millers POV and I'm thinking of his internal dialogue, or if he actually has the conversation. But it's really needed, at the moment we just think Millers a loose cannon. It's also a shame that more wasn't made of how happy Miller was to be invited to stay on the Roci, and how miserable he was at loosing that.

12 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Well dammit I want to hear it!!!

It's there, buried under her screaming. Can barely make out the words on my headphones, but maybe someone with better audio can isolate it. 

13 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Totally. I couldn't remember whether we read that from Millers POV and I'm thinking of his internal dialogue, or if he actually has the conversation. But it's really needed, at the moment we just think Millers a loose cannon. It's also a shame that more wasn't made of how happy Miller was to be invited to stay on the Roci, and how miserable he was at loosing that.

I thought he had that conversation with Fred Johnson at the end of the prior episode, when he was going to talk to Johnson about dealing with Eros. 

18 hours ago, Relic said:

It's there, buried under her screaming. Can barely make out the words on my headphones, but maybe someone with better audio can isolate it. 

Yeah it is. Even without tampering I could hear that it's there in the pacing of some distorted noise, even if I wouldn't make out the words without a heads up.

Archived