The Expanse #2: Caliban's Thread - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I enjoyed the visual aspect of that scene, but I did wonder about the time lapse. And if the Roci really was going that fast, then the chemical injections should have kicked in, which clearly they didn't. But I appreciate Shankar's mea culpa, and the crew's willingness to try to portray space stuff as realistic as possible. And Alex rocked that scene.

The  chems wouldn't kick in because the accelerations aren't that much except maybe on turns, and even then not likely. I actually liked the visuals there, of him going back and forth like a car ride. 

I personally really liked this ep and thought they did a good job of weaving things. I like that we got the final reveal of the Caliban project, and I liked how Bobbie got to Avasarala. I also like that Mars has sleazy dudes too; that was something that didn't get put in the books all that much. The exploration of Ganymede was nicely condensed and the foley artist had a grand ol' time with the sound effects in the other room. 

I'm a bit annoyed by Naomi's odd turn to just bug out right there and felt it wasn't exactly earned. 

Just now, Pliskin said:

Wait, did they just completely reverse things? In the books, the contractor was Earth, right?

Nope. In the books the contractor was both earth and mars, but only Earth got caught and Mars got away because they failed to get the buy-in. Technically no one had contracted for the Calibans yet.

19 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Nope. In the books the contractor was both earth and mars, but only Earth got caught and Mars got away because they failed to get the buy-in. Technically no one had contracted for the Calibans yet.

Well, ok, but still, they reversed things, didn't they?

I don't remember Bobbie's superior being aware of anything in the books, was he? The conspiracy Bobbie and Avasarala were trying to shed lights on was on Earth's side, right?

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Well, ok, but still, they reversed things, didn't they?

I don't remember Bobbie's superior being aware of anything in the books, was he? The conspiracy Bobbie and Avasarala were trying to shed lights on was on Earth's side, right?

Not sure Bobbie's superior knew or not, but he sure as hell wouldn't have revealed that to Bobbie in any case. Yeah, I don't think Avasarala or Bobbie knew anything other than Earth's side of things.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Not sure Bobbie's superior knew or not, but he sure as hell wouldn't have revealed that to Bobbie in any case. Yeah, I don't think Avasarala or Bobbie knew anything other than Earth's side of things.

Bobbie's superior in the books knew about Caliban from her video, and it was clear that it was not on their side. But it was also clear that it wasn't on the UN's sides either, and that was made pretty open in the book too. 

The buyers in the show are the difference - we know about the Mars side and didn't know anything (at least until later) about them. We already knew about the Earth side though - though it's unclear whether or not we'll have a rogue admiral or something like that going forward.

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Bobbie's superior in the books knew about Caliban from her video, and it was clear that it was not on their side. But it was also clear that it wasn't on the UN's sides either, and that was made pretty open in the book too. 

The buyers in the show are the difference - we know about the Mars side and didn't know anything (at least until later) about them. We already knew about the Earth side though - though it's unclear whether or not we'll have a rogue admiral or something like that going forward.

Spoiler

Yeah, I'm rereading Caliban's War now, and I just hit the part where Avasarala susses out that her superior (Errinright) is in on the Mao-Kwik deal along with the rogue admiral (Nguyen). I think she has suspicions that Mars may have had their own deal going as well, but I don't remember if that bears fruit or not.

22 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I'm not sure about that grenade though. Was it simply a stun grenade? Which then woke up the monster who broke out and killed all those people. Because none of the damage in that room was from an explosion.

Spoiler

That happened prior to them breaking in, at least in the book. The bloodstains and such were older. And as you remarked, they weren't the sort of wounds or damage that a grenade would cause.

23 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I'm not sure about that grenade though. Was it simply a stun grenade? Which then woke up the monster who broke out and killed all those people. Because none of the damage in that room was from an explosion.

It was a frag grenade, probably, but frag grenades don't explode crazily. I'd expect that it was something with not a ton of shrapnel either given the fragility of the areas. The grenade ended up freeing the Caliban because it blew away the anesthetic feed to it. 

15 minutes ago, Leofric said:

Doesn't Prax say it something about it being a gas or stun grenade, just before he says he found a data core?

No, he was talking about how it knocked out the anesthetic gas for the capsule. 

3 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea, Alex and Amos continue to shine. Amos chucking the grenade straight back through the door was all kinds of awesome. I really enjoyed this episode.

Amos always gets shot :)

On 07/04/2017 at 5:48 AM, Pliskin said:

Wait, did they just completely reverse things? In the books, the contractor was Earth, right?

I think what we're seeing is the consequences of having Avasarala in earlier. She was onto Mao and he realised. Told Errinwright to deal with her and he walked out when it didn't happen, hasn't been answering his calls since.

On 4/4/2017 at 5:44 PM, Kalbear said:

Why do people choose to die in the US instead of going to the emergency room? 

• They're criminals.
  • They're undocumented.
  • They're on drugs they're not supposed to be on.
  • They're mentally imbalanced.
  • They don't have the ability to get to the ER in time

A lot of people who don't live on Basic are doing that because they don't trust the government. Is that really all that hard to understand from today's age?

My complaint is not that there might be some like this, just that the number portrayed seems too big.

17 minutes ago, boojam said:

My complaint is not that there might be some like this, just that the number portrayed seems too big.

I do think they didn't do a good job of showing the overall scope of everything. With 30 billion people on earth and Bobbie being in one of the biggest cities in the world, there are going to be a lot of everyone. And what we saw was solely the non-Basic people. It would have been better if in addition to all the people we saw we also saw thousands and thousands of other people too, to give us the scale that yes, there are tons of people not on basic - but so many more that are. 

But there's going to be a lot of people not on basic for a variety of reasons. 

25 minutes ago, Triskan said:

I feel like they've made this show about as good as they could have.  Very satisfying season so far.  After season 1 I was a bit meh but at this point would be extremely disappointed if it didn't continue all the way.  And now I have more of an itch to get caught up on the books. 

Of course we get a 3rd season. I puzzle tho , the ratings have been up and down this season, ... my un-comprehensive observation of net interest is that the show does not have a lot of buzz because many are not watching it. Stranger Things (which I like) gets more 'press' while the The Expanse does not, strange.

Just now, boojam said:

Of course we get a 3rd season. I puzzle tho , the ratings have been up and down this season, ... my un-comprehensive observation of net interest is that the show does not have a lot of buzz because many are not watching it. Stranger Things (which I like) gets more 'press' while the The Expanse does not, strange.

SyFy has been notoriously bad at promoting their shows, including this one.

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

SyFy has been notoriously bad at promoting their shows, including this one.

The world is full of shows that don't get enough attention :D

The last two episodes were a bit slow, but this one provided much needed climax to the storylines that have been building up so far, but also preparing for the finale. I loved Bobbi's deflection scene. It reminded me of that old movie "The Saint" when Elizabeth Shue is running towards the US embassy in Moscow and is chased by Russian mobsters. One has to enjoy how several meters make all the difference.

Holden is joining the ranks of hot young male heroes, who are brooding and simply being dull. The club made by GoT's Jon Snow and LoS's Richard Cypher. 

15 minutes ago, Triskan said:

That's a good call.  And I don't want to harp on Straight too much.  I don't think he's ruining the show or anything, but everyone else is so strong that he stands out to me a bit more as the weak link.  

NOBODY SHATS LIKE THE SHAT.

http://img.memecdn.com/shatnered-myself-laughing_o_165299.jpg

Archived