SpaceChampion

The Expanse #2: Caliban's Thread - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

367 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

I have to amend my comment upthread just to clarify that it was in an episode two previous rather than the one that had just aired that I didn't like the Straight performance.  

The Avasarala scene embedded above was indeed awesome.  She is so perfect for this role.  Great casting.  

Can any of you guys refresh my memory on Prax?  I have just read the series through book 4 once (still going to get to the next ones for sure).  Did the Prax character get introduced this early like start of book 2?

Spoiler

Yeah, his daughter is one of the kids that is kidnapped at the start of book 2. It has something to do with her medical condition, I think. The Mao-Kwik folks are using the proto-molecule on kids to create monsters as part of their little experiment. Prax is introduced almost right away in Book 2, but you meet his daughter first. The imploding military situation on Ganymede forces Prax out of his little bio-dome and when he goes to pick up his daughter from pre-school, he finds out that her "mother" already came by and picked her up.

Edited by Manhole Eunuchsbane

Prax is a great POV in book 2. He has a completely different perspective than the “space natives” of the Roci, constantly noticing things on behalf of the reader. Long internal monologues about the fragility of the ecosystem on Ganymede. Musings about the thrusters on Tycho Station’s waldos that compensate for their movement (which would otherwise move the Station around!). His POV, more than the others, adds a lot of atmosphere to the absurdity of living in space – the constant peril everything is in, the interdependencies of various complex systems. He’s a docile Darwinian surrounded by naive engineers and mindless murderers. 

Edited by Happy Ent

10 hours ago, Happy Ent said:

Prax is a great POV in book 2. He has a completely different perspective than the “space natives” of the Roci, constantly noticing things on behalf of the reader. Long internal monologues about the fragility of the ecosystem on Ganymede. Musings about the thrusters on Tycho Station’s waldos that compensate for their movement (which would otherwise move the Station around!). His POV, more than the others, adds a lot of atmosphere to the absurdity of living in space – the constant peril everything is in, the interdependencies of various complex systems. He’s a docile Darwinian surrounded by naive engineers and mindless murderers. 

You seem to enjoy the hard science of The Expanse. If you haven't already watched it, I would recommend The National Geographic Society's 6-part Mars series from a few months ago. http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/mars/

On 3/25/2017 at 7:03 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Introducing Basia...

Yep they just introduced Basia Merton.  But I think there may also be a chance that they just introduced Lucia Merton too at the beginning of the clip.

If that's indeed her, Lucia is not far from how I pictured her.  However, TV Basia is much skinnier and less physically imposing than book Basia, who is a fairly big, blue-collar guy (welder).  Hell, in the TV series, even Prax looks more built than him!  I had pictured Basia as a more ethnically mixed and only somewhat smaller version of Amos.  Basia has a different personality than Amos of course, though still one prone to occasional violence, but not emotionless violence like Amos is.

In the books, Prax and Basia also fight, both half-crazed about their missing children Mei and Katoa respectively, but Prax swings first and then Basia proceeds to pummel Prax almost to death until Basia's daughter Felcia (Katoa's older sister) intervenes to get between her dad and Prax.

Edited by Wethers