The Expanse #2: Caliban's Thread - [spoilers for book only up to latest tv show episode]

SpaceChampion

2 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I'm watching the first ship now and I get a kick out of the fact that Fred Johnson's ship is the Guy Molinari. 

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

lol, the ship was a ferry, more or less

My understanding is that the Rocinante  was originally going to be called The Andrew J Barbeiri

9 hours ago, matt b said:

I don't know if it'll make you guys feel any better, but that does seem to be the standard model for when shows cross the pond and become NetFlix originals.

Not necessarily. Breaking Bad aired on Netflix UK at the same time as AMC in the States. Or perhaps it was a day later. The point is, there are no rules. If they wanted a global release, and the buzz that would have inevitably followed, they could have had it. Instead, they've got a whole bunch of pissed off fans, a lot of whom, let's face it, are probably going to hoist the mainsail. And how many of those who fly the black will then go back and watch it on Netflix in May?

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Was that the name of the ship in the books? My father and I were watching and found it funny. He was our member of Congress for years and was the Borough President for years after that. 

I had to look that one up to refresh my memory. Looks like it was in the books. I actually thought of the Staten Island Ferry, before I thought of his political career. Sounds like Daniel Abraham named it after the ferry he rode to work:http://www.danielabraham.com/2016/11/11/great-wealth-expanse-news-not-can-share/

51 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I had to look that one up to refresh my memory. Looks like it was in the books. I actually thought of the Staten Island Ferry, before I thought of his political career. Sounds like Daniel Abraham named it after the ferry he rode to work:http://www.danielabraham.com/2016/11/11/great-wealth-expanse-news-not-can-share/

I had no idea he had a connection to Staten Island. 

12 hours ago, matt b said:

I don't know if it'll make you guys feel any better, but that does seem to be the standard model for when shows cross the pond and become NetFlix originals. BBC's The Fall and Happy Valley air on U.S. NetFlix as originals, for both the new seasons aren't available until they've already aired in the U.K. So I would imagine it's not just SyFy, but just how these deals are typically done. I can definitely relate to the frustration though, at this point uneven distribution does nothing but encourage piracy.

Peaky Blinders did something similar, though I think the whole third season dropped while the UK was still on episode 3. 

However, BBC America's Orphan Black is on Netflix the same day the U.S get it

Afterbuzz TV does an aftershow review -- Cas Anvar was a guest for their season 2 premiere review.

According to Cas in that video, Fred Johnson's second is Drummer, not Sam.  Reddit was wrong!

Confirmation here:

And also Cara Gee is the actress who Ty Franck (I think that is who controls the James S. A. Corey twitter account) said:

8 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Afterbuzz TV does an aftershow review -- Cas Anvar was a guest for their season 2 premiere review.

According to Cas in that video, Fred Johnson's second is Drummer, not Sam.  Reddit was wrong!

Confirmation here:

And also Cara Gee is the actress who Ty Franck (I think that is who controls the James S. A. Corey twitter account) said:

When I saw her, I though maybe she was Michio Pa. Who is Drummer? I don't remember a character by that name.

Drummer was head of security on Tycho in Nemesis Games. Can't remember if she appeared in any previous books.

She was an important character then? I haven't read that far. She certainly had a lot of presence in the minimal screen time she had.

Yeah, I'm going to be pissed if there is no Holden/Snowden as well. That was my favorite part of the books. It's kind of unclear if it's coming or not.

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

She was an important character then? I haven't read that far. She certainly had a lot of presence in the minimal screen time she had.

Yeah, I'm going to be pissed if there is no Holden/Snowden as well. That was my favorite part of the books. It's kind of unclear if it's coming or not.

Fairly important and someone who could become more important in later books. Thus far, in the books, she's only appeared in NG and briefly in BA. Since you haven't read that far, I won't divulge any details. Given that the show has introduced her this early, I expect she will have an expanded role in the show.

I have watched the first two episodes last night and they looked nice. I need a bit reminder of all the pieces of the puzzle and I need to read those damn books I have bought :D but overall it is good.

Also, my favorite character remains Chrisjen... Nice to see real female politician on TV. Because those are rare beasts these days, as strange as it may sound. 

On 2/3/2017 at 7:07 AM, Relic said:

Why are they so horribly inept at rolling this awesome show out to the masses? 

I think I read last year that SyFy doesn't own the streaming rights to most of their shows, they let the production companies keep them (it might have been in the Killjoys/Dark Matter thread, or it might have been one of Abraham's post here or on his blog).  It explains why they shows are all over the freaking place with regards to streaming availability.  Dark Matter was on Netflix US about a month after season one ended, The Expanse didn't hit Amazon Prime until a month and a half ago, and Killjoys still isn't available for streaming anywhere.  It would be nice if the network took control of things and made it homogenous. 

On 2/3/2017 at 9:54 AM, Mark Antony said:

Yup makes me think that us Americans won't be getting The Last Kingdom season 2 until after the whole thing has aired in UK

We got season one nearly two weeks before the UK did.  It will be interesting to see what happens now that Netflix is involved.  Did they take BBC America's role in production, or our they still involved too?  Hopefully it's not too screwed up.

8 hours ago, Risto said:

Also, my favorite character remains Chrisjen... Nice to see real female politician on TV. Because those are rare beasts these days, as strange as it may sound. 

She finally dropped the f-bomb, but SyFy had it censored. Here's hoping that any of the streaming services that show it later go uncensored. 

Archived