Good Omens, Mort and The City Watch

HexMachina

My first thought about The Watch was that, if nothing else, Richard Dormer should make a terrific Vimes.

That thought has now been very thoroughly retired.

Also a bit mystified by the woman he's getting his orders from. It's not Anna Chancellor, so it's not Vetinari, but I have no idea who else he'd be receiving instructions from.

Yeah, not loving that Vimes performance. I thought I might be able to enjoy this show just as it’s own thing but probably not. Death as a black cloaked Jawa too?

The woman Vimes is giving the finger to is Anna Chancellor though, I’m pretty sure.

16 hours ago, john said:

Yeah, not loving that Vimes performance. I thought I might be able to enjoy this show just as it’s own thing but probably not. Death as a black cloaked Jawa too?

The woman Vimes is giving the finger to is Anna Chancellor though, I’m pretty sure.

There seems to be some confusion over the point. Certainly by context it appears to be Vetinari. I was literally loading up YouTube videos of Chancellor to compare. It looks like they've given her contacts, giving her a wig, used slathers of makeup to fill in her cheeks, asked her to speak in a distinctly odd, arch way, and generally asked to her to behave in the most un-Anne Chancellor-ish way possible. Distinctly bizarre.

Chancellor and Dormer are very, very good actors and were the most promising thing about this show. By completely burying the performance of one and getting the other to gurn through his scenes like a lunatic (the suggestion that he is behaving more like Foul Ol' Ron is completely on point) they've completely destroyed that promise. Extraordinarily strange of them.

Then the producers were interviewed by IGN yesterday and seemed distinctly defensive, saying that "everyone was on board" with Simon Allen taking over the project from Narrativia and Rhianna Pratchett after Sir Terry's death (note: they were not), it was completely impossible to adapt any of the novels to an 8-hour series (note: it isn't) and then they decided to change absolutely everything about it to appeal to people who'd never read the books because they thought the people who'd read the books - one of the biggest-selling fantasy series since Tolkien and a global phenomenon of thirty years' standing - were a negligible factor.

These people are fucking idiots.

23 minutes ago, Werthead said:

There seems to be some confusion over the point. Certainly by context it appears to be Vetinari. I was literally loading up YouTube videos of Chancellor to compare. It looks like they've given her contacts, giving her a wig, used slathers of makeup to fill in her cheeks, asked her to speak in a distinctly odd, arch way, and generally asked to her to behave in the most un-Anne Chancellor-ish way possible. Distinctly bizarre.

Chancellor and Dormer are very, very good actors and were the most promising thing about this show. By completely burying the performance of one and getting the other to gurn through his scenes like a lunatic (the suggestion that he is behaving more like Foul Ol' Ron is completely on point) they've completely destroyed that promise. Extraordinarily strange of them.

Then the producers were interviewed by IGN yesterday and seemed distinctly defensive, saying that "everyone was on board" with Simon Allen taking over the project from Narrativia and Rhianna Pratchett after Sir Terry's death (note: they were not), it was completely impossible to adapt any of the novels to an 8-hour series (note: it isn't) and then they decided to change absolutely everything about it to appeal to people who'd never read the books because they thought the people who'd read the books - one of the biggest-selling fantasy series since Tolkien and a global phenomenon of thirty years' standing - were a negligible factor.

These people are fucking idiots.

Dead show walking. They’ve pissed off their built-in fanbase, and there’s nothing about this show to suggest It’s going to attract another one.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just watched the trailer for this (popped up on my facebook feed) and my god. I'm honestly shocked that anyone could have gotten it so wrong with this series. It's like that Wheel of Time production that was made just to maintain the rights, except this was an active attempt to make something to stand on it's own merits. Of all the Pratchett novels, the Watch series is by far the most straight forward in terms of adaptation, I just can't believe they have managed to fuck it up.

Kind of interested to watch it, I haven't had a show that I've enjoyed hate watching since GoT ended.

Archived