So, why exactly people think Rickon is dying this season?

Tianzi

10 hours ago, Scorpion92 said:

I see what you are saying and how both ice and fire are destructive and need to be complementing each other - which is exactly my point. But what I argue is that if Dany and Others fight between each other, then where is the "conflict of human heart" here that George Martin loves so much? I mean, it is automatic at this point that the readers will be cheering for Dany and her side to win this battle. No matter how Martin portrays them in the books, if White Walkers are not allied with one of the heroes of the story, I will not just care about them, it is simple. The message George wants to bring in his books,in my opinion, is to show how pointless and bloody and ugly the war is, and pitting Dany and Others against each other will not make me question the series in such way, I will be team-Dany right away (as I presume majority of the fandom).

I think you missed my point because you're still trying to make this into a binary... the name of the story is not "The Dance of Ice OR Fire", but "A Song of Ice AND Fire" (i.e. both in harmony with the other).

The setup is that if Dany wins then the world is DOOMED to an endless fiery hell that only the servants of the Red God with their black blood and no need to eat, drink or sleep will be able to endure. If the Others win then the world is DOOMED to an endless icy night that only the Others can endure. PEACE and not war is the answer and for the world to be saved then both the Others and Dany MUST LOSE (or more accurately 'not win') and its going to be down to the Starks of Winterfell to find that path to peace between two mutually opposing forces.

The conflict of the human heart comes in what the Starks are willing to sacrifice to achieve that peace... even more painful than "What Price Victory?" is "What Price Peace without Victory?"

Regardless... the Final Battle will be at Winterfell and not some random river for the simple reason that its one of the most iconic locations in the entire series and the rules of drama basically demand it. And that's why Rickon is doomed, because if Jon is there to lead the battle for one of the sides in the Final Battle he will be doing so from Winterfell and Rickon just muddies the waters on who is the leader/ruler.

Jon leading the battle or whatever doesn't mean Rickon must die. IMO, Jon will never be Lord of Winterfell. He will be king of Westeros or the larger world, or still commander of the Night Watch. But not Winterfell. For that, it can only be Rickon. That is why this little kid with no weight on the story so far exists.

On April 26, 2016 at 1:31 PM, BrandonStark's bastard said:

^This. Also Rickon's direwolf is named Shaggydog. I think the poor kid is doomed. 

Of course he is.  Martin specifically picked each wolf’s name to telegraph that child’s fate.  It’s all been in plain sight since the very beginning.

1. Jon is destined to be a ghost, a spirit that survives the death of its body.
  2. Robb is destined to be only a grey wind, the wind of death.
  3. Sansa is destined to be the lady of songs.
  4. Arya is destined to be a warrior princess out of Essos.
  5. Bran is destined to be summer incarnate, the deciding force that turns the tide once winter is come.
  6. Rickon is destined to be nothing but a shaggy-dog story: “an extremely long-winded anecdote characterized by extensive narration of typically irrelevant incidents and terminated by an anticlimax or a pointless punchline.”

2 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Jon leading the battle or whatever doesn't mean Rickon must die. IMO, Jon will never be Lord of Winterfell. He will be king of Westeros or the larger world, or still commander of the Night Watch. But not Winterfell. For that, it can only be Rickon. That is why this little kid with no weight on the story so far exists.

Rickon's a Shaggydog. 

GRRM spells it out where he's going with Jon:

The world dissolved into a red mist. Jon stabbed and slashed and cut. He hacked down Donal Noye and gutted Deaf Dick Follard. Qhorin Halfhand stumbled to his knees, trying in vain to staunch the flow of blood from his neck. “I am the Lord of Winterfell,” Jon screamed. It was Robb before him now, his hair wet with melting snow. Longclaw took his head off. Then a gnarled hand seized Jon roughly by the shoulder. He whirled …

-------------

Every morning they had trained together, since they were big enough to walk; Snow and Stark, spinning and slashing about the wards of Winterfell, shouting and laughing, sometimes crying when there was no one else to see. They were not little boys when they fought, but knights and mighty heroes. “I’m Prince Aemon the Dragonknight,” Jon would call out, and Robb would shout back, “Well, I’m Florian the Fool.” Or Robb would say, “I’m the Young Dragon,” and Jon would reply, “I’m Ser Ryam Redwyne.”

That morning he called it first. “I’m Lord of Winterfell!” he cried, as he had a hundred times before. Only this time,this time, Robb had answered, “You can’t be Lord of Winterfell, you’re bastard-born. My lady mother says you can’t ever be the Lord of Winterfell.”

Rickon is only needed if you assume Bran is never going to leave the cave. If Bran leaves the cave in the show--and the promo shot of him on horseback in 6x10 suggests that he will--then it seems much more likely that Rickon will become unnecessary. I'm sure that TV Jon will support Sansa holding Winterfell until Bran returns, though; TV Jon has bigger fish to fry than haggling with Sansa over her claim, and he has already insisted to Stannis in the books at least that Winterfell belongs to Sansa.

No one really knows if Bran is still alive and if he is alive, where he is. They know he crossed with Wall into the North from Sam and Gilly but with the White Walkers/Others, there are reasonable doubts in their minds. The Direwolves would know and maybe if the show establishes that through the Warging but I have doubts about that myself as to whether the show will bother. I would rather have a resurrected Jon, free of the Night's watch holding the North over lady Bolton (Sansa) but LF may be the one with the Army (Vale) left standing, he will play Kingmaker/Queenmaker and we all know who he wants for that, himself, eventually and he needs Sansa to do it.

15 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

More like he's going to usurp them

Besides there are rumors that Rickon does this season so....

it's between him and Sansa

Oh, I forgot it was show forum. Given what happens this year, I would make no assumption. But it would rather be Ramsey doing. Whatever.

Bran should remain trapped in the tree. I believe one preview shows that. Seeing him in other settings should be visions, like with the NK. But his existence and influence would be made visible, by warging and magic.

Archived