A Question on Robert's Bastards

King Crow's Eye

In AFFC, we see in Cersei's prophecy that she was told the King (Robert) would have 16 children to her three. Who are his bastards? I remember only a handful from my reading: Gendry, Edric Storm, Mya Stone, the twins from Lannisport Cersei had killed, the babe in the brothel in King's Landing- Barra, and Bella from the Stoney Sept (possible)...Jon Snow? By my count this is 8...and two are not for sure. Who are the rest? Just curious for some thoughts on this topic. Thanks guys.  

Probably just others that we haven't seen. We know about Edric because he was acknowledged, and while Mya wasn't technically acknowledged she's in a similar boat (everyone knew she's Robert's bastard). We also hear about the twins in one of Cersei's flashbacks. 

The other bastards (Gendry, Bella and Barra) we only know about because they happened to cross path with POV characters in the books. It's not surprising that we haven't heard about any of his other lowborn bastards.

Incidentally, I highly doubt that Jon's Robert's son. The timeline doesn't fit, he doesn't have the appearance (if it were anyone other than Robert this wouldn't be an issue, but a lot is made out of the "seed-is-strong" thing), and to my knowledge there's no foreshadowing towards it whatsoever.

4 hours ago, PCK said:

Taena's son could be one of Robert's bastards. She doesn't want Cersei near that kid for a reason.

I always thought that was just because she was, at the very least, playing both sides.  If not fully working against Cersei to begin with.  It always bothered me just how ready Cersei was to accept Taena into her confidence given her prior relationship with Marge.

4 hours ago, PCK said:

Taena's son could be one of Robert's bastards. She doesn't want Cersei near that kid for a reason.

4 hours ago, PCK said:

Would you want that batshit crazy beast anywhere near your kid? 

Seriously tho I don't think there is any secret to why Taena don't want her kid in KL or near a Lannister. 

“Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you.”(AFfC,Ch.36 Cersei VIII)

However, the count can fluctuate. Varys knows of 8

“Robert’s bastards? What of them?”
“He fathered eight, to the best of my knowing,” Varys said as he wrestled with the saddle. “Their mothers were copper and honey, chestnut and butter, yet the babes were all black as ravens … and as ill-omened, it would seem.(ACoK, Ch.15 Tyrion III)

So, only four hair colours for the women. Maybe, like Gendry, he has reason to avoid sleeping with dark-haired women.

We know from Gendry that his mother's hair was yellow, and from Eddard that Barra's mother had red hair. I guess the Lannisters don't insist their servants are blonde, and it is possible Mya's mother had chestnut hair like Myranda. Bella's mother might or might not be red-haired Tansy.

If Lyanna is Jon Snow's mother, Varys would need another word for 'brown'- if her hair could be described as Chestnut, surely someone would have attempted to by now?  Also, if Jon Snow is one of the eight, Varys knows. That is interesting too.

Personally, I think Lysa is overlooked as Jon's mother.  It's as likely as Robert being his father.

On Edric, I can't find anything about Delena's hair, or that of her Norcross sons.  Lord Alester Florent had silvery grey hair, and Florent facial hair is coarse  and ragged, for what that is worth. Sam's mother was a Florent and he  has brown hair according to the wiki (although the wiki references AGoT, Ch.26 Jon IV, where his hair is only described as 'blood-matted' as far as I can see) , even if,  Randyll is bald, so who knows?

Also,

Bronn has 'coal black hair' (AGoT, Ch.40 Catelyn VII)

Tysha is "dark-haired" (AGoT,Ch.42 Tyrion VI)

Shae is "dark-haired" (AGoT, Ch.62 Tyrion VIII)

Jayne Poole is "dark-haired"(AGoT, Ch.44 Sansa III)

Theon has "black hair" (AGoT,Ch.37 Bran V)

Yoren has "long black hair" (AGoT, Ch.65 Arya V)

Drogo has "ink-black hair"(AGoT, Ch.54 Daenerys VI)

the Lazhareen have black hair, too (AGoT, Ch.61 Daenerys VII)

Those are some other black and dark haired people in Game of Thrones. There are probably more (Gregor and Sandor, I suspect, for one) certainly more in the later books.

Has anyone theorised Theon is Robert's bastard, or that Shae is Tyrion's daughter, for that matter?

Basically, any of the above aged between 0 and 25 might possibly be Robert's bastard (shame GRRM ruled out Bron. I think the entire Lazhareen people could safely be ruled out too, as there is no evidence that Robert went to Essos in his lifetime.)

Archived