The Future of Game of Thrones

Westeros

This doesn't pertain to the above posts, but I have a theory I would like some feedback on.  Now that we are certain Melisandre is much older than she appeared, is it possible she knew Aegon Targaryen?  Bloodraven's mother was named Melissa Blackwood, and Bloodraven is the bastard son of Aegon.  My theory is Melisandre is Bloodraven's mother.  If she is roughly 400 years old the timeline would make sense.  Both can use dark magic and both have lived far longer than most in Westeros.

Melisandre has stated she believes Bloodraven to be evil and a servant of the Great Other.  She has also misinterpreted several visions.  What if she didn't misinterpret them, but simply lied about the meaning of the visions?  She showed Stannis a great battle in the snow, and he later died there.  Stannis also consistently drove a wedge between the Kingdom of Men uniting during his attempt to gain the throne.  I think the Red Woman and Bloodraven (both names suggest red) are in league together.  I also think they intend to see the Others conquer Westeros.  

Any thoughts on this theory, either for or against, would be appreciated.

7 hours ago, jamprab said:

This doesn't pertain to the above posts, but I have a theory I would like some feedback on.  Now that we are certain Melisandre is much older than she appeared, is it possible she knew Aegon Targaryen?  Bloodraven's mother was named Melissa Blackwood, and Bloodraven is the bastard son of Aegon.  My theory is Melisandre is Bloodraven's mother.  If she is roughly 400 years old the timeline would make sense.  Both can use dark magic and both have lived far longer than most in Westeros.

Melisandre has stated she believes Bloodraven to be evil and a servant of the Great Other.  She has also misinterpreted several visions.  What if she didn't misinterpret them, but simply lied about the meaning of the visions?  She showed Stannis a great battle in the snow, and he later died there.  Stannis also consistently drove a wedge between the Kingdom of Men uniting during his attempt to gain the throne.  I think the Red Woman and Bloodraven (both names suggest red) are in league together.  I also think they intend to see the Others conquer Westeros.  

Bloodraven is ~ 130 yrs old. Also, in her chapter in Dance she thinks that her visions are showing her the enemy when she sees Bloodraven: "A wooden face, corpse white. Was this the enemy? A thousand red eyes floated in the rising flames." So, she'd be lying to herself and that wouldn't make sense. 

On 4/26/2016 at 10:54 PM, marsyao said:

There is zero chance GRRM would ever create an outline of his future novels that has such bad quality, I would guess GRRM only have a brief idea about where his novel would go, but nothing very concrete, that would perfectly explain as soon as leave the guidence of GRRM's published novels, the quality of the show immediately go downhill fast

GRRM has often said that he knows the major plot points, and the ending for all the main characters, but he does not know the twists and turns he's going to take to reach those major plot points.  He stated that discovering those twists and turns while writing is what keeps it fun for him.

And just like you said...I don't think it's any coincidence that the moment the HBO show started going rogue with their own plot lines, that the quality suffered immensely.  The HBO show is as good as it is *because* it followed GRRM's script.  Without his script...you get lines like "you want the bad pussy?"  :thumbsdown: :ack:

On 4/28/2016 at 11:16 AM, SevasTra82 said:

GRRM has often said that he knows the major plot points, and the ending for all the main characters, but he does not know the twists and turns he's going to take to reach those major plot points.  He stated that discovering those twists and turns while writing is what keeps it fun for him.

Well, I am not entirely convinced by this, now we all know GRRM has changed quite a lot to his original outline of the novel, for example there is some kind of love triangle among Jon, Aryn and Tyrion in his original draft, I kind of doubt that would be his last dramtic change of his plan for the future novels

11 hours ago, marsyao said:

Well, I am not entirely convinced by this, now we all know GRRM has changed quite a lot to his original outline of the novel, for example there is some kind of love triangle among Jon, Aryn and Tyrion in his original draft, I kind of doubt that would be his last dramtic change of his plan for the future novels

Jaime was also a 100% evil backstabbing usurper because there was no Cersei

On 4/26/2016 at 9:23 PM, jamprab said:

We already know Melisandre's origin (i.e., Melony,” she heard a woman cry. A man's voice called, “Lot Seven.” She was weeping, and her tears were flame.)  She was a sex slave, probably the daughter of another sex slave, sold in Volantis. There is nothing special to it.

On 28/04/2016 at 4:16 PM, SevasTra82 said:

And just like you said...I don't think it's any coincidence that the moment the HBO show started going rogue with their own plot lines, that the quality suffered immensely.  The HBO show is as good as it is *because* it followed GRRM's script.  Without his script...you get lines like "you want the bad pussy?"  :thumbsdown: :ack:

Not to mention "fat pink mast". Oh wait... ;)

It was not an odd thing that HBO had a very late green light for season 7 , after all contracts were signed more than a year ago (we never really found out who signed beyond first trier). But the number of episodes , more than a week later, is still not announced.
 Thinking HBO and show runners are still having a negations about this and season 8. We shall see.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if they now regret 'rushing' through the first 4 books & leaving out so much material that could have kept them going while GRRM finished Winds & Spring?

They had at least 10 seasons up to book 5 if they had kept in more of the original subplots & tangents - I understand all the logistical difficulties etc, but GRRM created full blooded 3 dimensional characters & deep storylines & as others have said, so much is getting lost, partly due to GRRM not having the time to lock himself up in his writing room, the contracts signed & HBO + D&D not quite 'getting' all the deep underling stuff.

The books are what they are because GRRM does so much background research & nitpicks himself to death over every detail before letting his publisher within a mile of anything & it seems to me that HBO/D&D don't have the same amount of stamina which is a loss to everyone because the audience DO!

As to not having s7&8 as full series....... yuck! There's so much still up in the air & winter hasn't quite arrived yet, we're still at the end of autumn. There are so many storylines, just within the boundaries of the show, that need to be tied up & put to bed, shortening the series would just make it feel like a rush job cos they couldn't be bothered to finish the job properly....there's a lesson there. sigh

As to spin offs; it'd be fun to see Dunk & Egg, but not for a while yet. 

On 26/04/2016 at 7:21 PM, kissdbyfire said:

Bloodraven is ~ 130 yrs old. Also, in her chapter in Dance she thinks that her visions are showing her the enemy when she sees Bloodraven: "A wooden face, corpse white. Was this the enemy? A thousand red eyes floated in the rising flames." So, she'd be lying to herself and that wouldn't make sense. 

So now it turns out that Show 3EC claims to be 1000 years old, to add to Mel's apparent age. That should mean neither of them in the show are Targaryen, right? Does the Show unequivocally state that 3EC is Bloodraven/Brynden R?

5 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

So now it turns out that Show 3EC claims to be 1000 years old, to add to Mel's apparent age. That should mean neither of them in the show are Targaryen, right? Does the Show unequivocally state that 3EC is Bloodraven/Brynden R?

Not that I remember. I assume they won't go into the show character's background at all but who knows. 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:03 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Not that I remember. I assume they won't go into the show character's background at all but who knows. 

Wasn't there a theory saying Bloodraven isn't the Three-Eyed Raven?

1 minute ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Wasn't there a theory saying Bloodraven isn't the Three-Eyed Raven?

In the books? Yes, there are many people who believe BR is not the Three-Eyed Crow. I'm not one of them btw. :)

On 5/10/2016 at 0:28 AM, House Cambodia said:

I caught this as well in last weeks episode.  If this is the case, it seems as if GOT's (the show) has axed Blood Raven and any story line related to him, making the old man in the tree just that...an old man in a tree.  Unless they plan on screwing with Blood Raven's backstory or something.

I think in the show, he's simply the 3-eyed Raven, and nothing more.  They'll probably weave some backstory with The Others in there somehow, but that'll be the extent of it.

It kind of sucks if they did cut Blood Raven out, because that means there probably won't be any GOT adaptations of the Dunk and Egg stories.

@Boutoo The show would not have survived a lengthy adaptation of Feast and Dance. It would have seen a massive drop in ratings if the show-watchers had been subjected to even 60% of those two books. Reading through them is a huge challenge. GRRRRM really dropped the ball and lost control of his own story there.

20 hours ago, SevasTra82 said:

I caught this as well in last weeks episode.  If this is the case, it seems as if GOT's (the show) has axed Blood Raven and any story line related to him, making the old man in the tree just that...an old man in a tree.  Unless they plan on screwing with Blood Raven's backstory or something.

I think in the show, he's simply the 3-eyed Raven, and nothing more.  They'll probably weave some backstory with The Others in there somehow, but that'll be the extent of it.

It kind of sucks if they did cut Blood Raven out, because that means there probably won't be any GOT adaptations of the Dunk and Egg stories.

I don't think that cutting out BR necessarily means that there won't be any adaptation of D&E. Actually cutting him out of GoT might be better as it takes away the possibility of the show screwing up his backstory.

Archived