The Future of Game of Thrones

Westeros

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:53 PM, Boutoo said:

I'm wondering if they now regret 'rushing' through the first 4 books & leaving out so much material that could have kept them going while GRRM finished Winds & Spring?

They had at least 10 seasons up to book 5 if they had kept in more of the original subplots & tangents - I understand all the logistical difficulties etc, but GRRM created full blooded 3 dimensional characters & deep storylines & as others have said, so much is getting lost, partly due to GRRM not having the time to lock himself up in his writing room, the contracts signed & HBO + D&D not quite 'getting' all the deep underling stuff.

The books are what they are because GRRM does so much background research & nitpicks himself to death over every detail before letting his publisher within a mile of anything & it seems to me that HBO/D&D don't have the same amount of stamina which is a loss to everyone because the audience DO!

As to not having s7&8 as full series....... yuck! There's so much still up in the air & winter hasn't quite arrived yet, we're still at the end of autumn. There are so many storylines, just within the boundaries of the show, that need to be tied up & put to bed, shortening the series would just make it feel like a rush job cos they couldn't be bothered to finish the job properly....there's a lesson there. sigh

As to spin offs; it'd be fun to see Dunk & Egg, but not for a while yet. 

It's debateable. There are show fans that do complain about plots dragging out. Do that even more? Maybe the show loses some popularity. Doesn't finish anyways because it can't justify the budget. Also they've been pretty successful making each season a full arc. Especially with the idea that they effectively double where they are now. Wouldn't work.

The bigger issue is that I don't think people appreciate the difference between GRRM taking 4-5 years to write a book and being able to go over it as much as he wants and changing it at any time, compared to having a year to plot out a show, get the crew in  place, shoot the scenes, edit, and make a schedule.  GRRM can go back 3 years after he wrote something and say "hmm this fits better". The show can't do that, and if they have the time it costs so much money to get everyone back out there.

It kind of sucks if they did cut Blood Raven out, because that means there probably won't be any GOT adaptations of the Dunk and Egg stories.

They've mentioned Dunk and Egg enough that I think they've allowed for both possibilities (i.e. making D&E or not making them). In fact, they may simply not confirm the TEC's backstory and bring it out in D&E if they get round to making it (and the thousand years thing becomes metaphorical).

D&E happening does depend on HBO finding other people willing to make it (since D&D are off to their Fox movie deal the second the show wraps) and them negotiating a new deal with GRRM, since they don't have the rights. Both may be problematic, so HBO are probably hedging their bets.

@Darksky I know they seem to meander, but that's where a lot of the foreshadowing is....all those niggling little things that don't seem to mean anything at the time they happen, but have significance later on..... I do understand it can be difficult to translate from page to screen, don't get me wrong & it's too late to go back now. I just think that if they'd included some of the earlier tangents, they wouldn't be scrabbling & needing to chain GRRM to his writing chair now. Pet peeve & idle curiosity only

@lancerman I understand all of those things & they're not really relevant to the point I was making. However, as it's not possible for you to know that a) I write myself, b ) I went to school before the internet & was obliged to know enough about most things to be able to engage in an intelligent conversation about whatever came up (makes you read LOTS!) & c) I had to research page to screen logistics for a project, I shall forgive your assumption that I'm ignorant of the subjects.  I'm sure there are others less well informed that will appreciate your insightful comments though ;)

20 hours ago, Boutoo said:

@Darksky I know they seem to meander, but that's where a lot of the foreshadowing is....all those niggling little things that don't seem to mean anything at the time they happen, but have significance later on..... I do understand it can be difficult to translate from page to screen, don't get me wrong & it's too late to go back now. I just think that if they'd included some of the earlier tangents, they wouldn't be scrabbling & needing to chain GRRM to his writing chair now. Pet peeve & idle curiosity only

But that would change nothing... GRRM isn't done with book series. Even if TWOW came out tomorrow, there would STILL be another 5 years or so until ADOS. And that is assuming that he doesn't do an 8th book.

This is an adaptation, tangents get cut. And once GRRM showed that the "Mereneese knot" was not the real hold-up - his writing pace is - then the show was always going to pass the books.

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 11:16 AM, SevasTra82 said:

GRRM has often said that he knows the major plot points, and the ending for all the main characters, but he does not know the twists and turns he's going to take to reach those major plot points.  He stated that discovering those twists and turns while writing is what keeps it fun for him.

And just like you said...I don't think it's any coincidence that the moment the HBO show started going rogue with their own plot lines, that the quality suffered immensely.  The HBO show is as good as it is *because* it followed GRRM's script.  Without his script...you get lines like "you want the bad pussy?"  :thumbsdown: :ack:

Because "fat pink mast" and "where do whores go" are masterclass literature.

On 4/28/2016 at 11:16 AM, SevasTra82 said:

The HBO show is as good as it is *because* it followed GRRM's script.  Without his script...you get lines like "you want the bad pussy?"  :thumbsdown: :ack:

Am I the only person out there who didn't hate that line?? 

7 minutes ago, MoonWoman said:

Am I the only person out there who didn't hate that line?? 

I thought it was snarky and kind of funny. Matches up with the general attitude of the Dornish. Not everyone is as deadly serious and boring as the Starks.

On 5/20/2016 at 3:56 PM, Aegonzo The Great said:
On 5/20/2016 at 4:05 PM, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I liked it. 

I thought it was snarky and kind of funny. Matches up with the general attitude of the Dornish. Not everyone is as deadly serious and boring as the Starks.

So you guys liked Euron's  "where are my niece and nephew?....... Let's go kill them," from last night as well I suppose? Certain character adaptions have been terrible in the opinion of a lot of fans. The sand snakes, and so far, Euron have been pretty bad.  

Eight years or so ago  GRRM and HBO and two writers entered into a contract to do the series. As we saw in  the beginning a year and a bit for each season to correspond to each book. In that timeline GRRM would have eight years to pen 2 books and come to a conclusion of the majority of the characters. He already had these characters developed, the story lines built. He claimed 2 books to climax. Instead he added his name and time to the editing of a variety of books.  Hey capitalism is a greedy thing it consumes your time. And just by reading a book he made big cash. The individual publishers probably did the hands on editing but the "GRRM" sold the books. !2 books he along with other "Name " authors "edited". These aside from his other ASOIAF world stuff. But no conclusion to his commitment.

And yes I am a little put off as I am sure HBO and Dan and Dave are. Those involved would much rather have the books to work off of. They don't and only GRRM is responsible for that. Unlike all who criticize them they slog on. They are not whining in public about GRRM reneging on his commitment. I applaud them for that. Remember without  D&D and HBO we would have no Game of Thrones these days.

7 hours ago, Cold Hands warm heart said:

Eight years or so ago  GRRM and HBO and two writers entered into a contract to do the series. As we saw in  the beginning a year and a bit for each season to correspond to each book. In that timeline GRRM would have eight years to pen 2 books and come to a conclusion of the majority of the characters. He already had these characters developed, the story lines built. He claimed 2 books to climax. Instead he added his name and time to the editing of a variety of books.  Hey capitalism is a greedy thing it consumes your time. And just by reading a book he made big cash. The individual publishers probably did the hands on editing but the "GRRM" sold the books. !2 books he along with other "Name " authors "edited". These aside from his other ASOIAF world stuff. But no conclusion to his commitment.

And yes I am a little put off as I am sure HBO and Dan and Dave are. Those involved would much rather have the books to work off of. They don't and only GRRM is responsible for that. Unlike all who criticize them they slog on. They are not whining in public about GRRM reneging on his commitment. I applaud them for that. Remember without  D&D and HBO we would have no Game of Thrones these days.

I agree with a lot of what you say. But at the same time there would be no GoT without the books of ASOIAF. Seems to be another Bran paradox.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2016 at 11:25 PM, throney said:

I agree with a lot of what you say. But at the same time there would be no GoT without the books of ASOIAF. Seems to be another Bran paradox.

Please don't discount GRRM role in all of it. Its not like he sat on his hands and HBO come a-begging. No, he Actively advertised and marketed his series.

I remember his blog YEARS before D&D even came to a picture - he was talking first about movies, just musing really, how it might be like LOTR, then after Rome premiered (I think it was around that time), he started talking HBO on his blog. How HBO would make a great fit for his series. And how strict he would be with future producers. I am doubting he just agitated it about it on his blog, I am pretty sure that he and his publishers were shopping around those channels - HBO, Encore, Showtime and selling his books!

All D&D had to do was to prove their love for his books and he was onboard.

On 5/24/2016 at 1:37 AM, Cold Hands warm heart said:

Even I feel GRRM should have finished writing the two books, before he dived completely into the GOT series. His books gave D& D material to work on screenplay and without his books to guide them, this season has been slow and uneventful (except for few interesting comebacks). 

• 3 weeks later...

I think the 13 episodes should be in one season. Dividing them would be annoying. It's already a pain in the behind to wait so long for a new season. It would be worse with only a few episodes per season. 

On 08/07/2016 at 8:33 PM, Penny Lane said:

I think the 13 episodes should be in one season. Dividing them would be annoying. It's already a pain in the behind to wait so long for a new season. It would be worse with only a few episodes per season. 

I also think it would made much more sense but I don't think they have enough time to do it all in less than one year only if they delayed the seventh season to Autumm 2017. 

On 7/9/2016 at 1:03 AM, Penny Lane said:

As a fan, it would be great if 13 episodes are clubbed together in one season. But unfortunately, it is unlikely to happen. Gonna read all the books and watch all the seasons all over again to fill the GOT void! 

Fiscally it makes a lot more sense for HBO to film the final two seasons in one 13 episode block late this year and into next, then release two separate, truncated seasons.

People will moan at less episodes but they'll still lap it up, and presumably each episode could well be a 'The Winds of Winter' level epic, or close enough at this stage.

9 hours ago, Ser Tony Black said:

Fiscally it makes a lot more sense for HBO to film the final two seasons in one 13 episode block late this year and into next, then release two separate, truncated seasons.

People will moan at less episodes but they'll still lap it up, and presumably each episode could well be a 'The Winds of Winter' level epic, or close enough at this stage.

I do wonder at the length of episodes for a shorter season. Benioff once said , long time back they had shoot for 540 min. as season, I think they always go over, but they also never hit 600 min. either. I don't really know why. HBO , after all, has variable time slots since they show movies of variable length.

As things stand right now one would think money is no problem for the production since HBO may have no other big hit programming for next year!

Archived