God's Eye: An Ancient Asteroid Impact Crater?

StarkofWinterfell

16 hours ago, White Ravens said:

No, the lake is referred to as Gods Eye in the books.  No apostrophe. 

I just did a quick scan: both usages appear, but the apostrophated one seems more common, as well as being used in the Lands map collection. Interestingly, on the maps at the front of the books 'Gods Eye' is used, which would seem to indicate that either usage is acceptable.

3 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

I just did a quick scan: both usages appear, but the apostrophated one seems more common, as well as being used in the Lands map collection. Interestingly, on the maps at the front of the books 'Gods Eye' is used, which would seem to indicate that either usage is acceptable.

Well I searched Gods Eye and God's Eye on A Search of Ice and Fire and all I found was one example of the apostrophe being used (A Feast for Crows - Arya II) and several examples of no apostrophe.  But I agree now that either usage appears to be acceptable.

22 hours ago, White Ravens said:

Well I searched Gods Eye and God's Eye on A Search of Ice and Fire and all I found was one example of the apostrophe being used (A Feast for Crows - Arya II) and several examples of no apostrophe.  But I agree now that either usage appears to be acceptable.

Weird: I searched for both and God's Eye appeared further up the screen than Gods Eye did...

Nonetheless, it doesn't really matter: both are acceptable, and there's not a single user on this forum who'd not understand what you meant if you wrote one instead of the other.

On April 17, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Ygrain said:

Whistling for the devil? :P

Impact crater is a very good idea, the chunks of the cracked moon wouldn't have hit only one area.

Everyone knows you're supposed to SHOUT! SHOUT! SHOUT at the devil... that's why it took me so long to reply.

Yes, I think the God's Eye could well be a crater lake - the idea was mentioned by someone early on in my essay series, I can't take credit it for it. Usually crater lakes are almost the size of the crater, however - IU wasn't able to find any that look anything like the Isle of Faces / God's Eye setup, although of course Martin can choose the level of realism he wants to employ. I generally think he takes scientific ideas which he finds interesting and runs with them and adds magic and bends them to his will. A real comet cannot explode a normal moon, but a magic comet can - that sort of thing. There's normal volcanic eruptions, and then there is the Doom which had magic involved and lasting magical fallout. Etc. I am going to do an essay on the God's Eye soon, and I covered the Hammer of the Waters in my new essay

25 minutes ago, LmL said:

Everyone knows you're supposed to SHOUT! SHOUT! SHOUT at the devil... that's why it took me so long to reply.

Yes, I think the God's Eye could well be a crater lake - the idea was mentioned by someone early on in my essay series, I can't take credit it for it. Usually crater lakes are almost the size of the crater, however - IU wasn't able to find any that look anything like the Isle of Faces / God's Eye setup, although of course Martin can choose the level of realism he wants to employ. I generally think he takes scientific ideas which he finds interesting and runs with them and adds magic and bends them to his will. A real comet cannot explode a normal moon, but a magic comet can - that sort of thing. There's normal volcanic eruptions, and then there is the Doom which had magic involved and lasting magical fallout. Etc. I am going to do an essay on the God's Eye soon, and I covered the Hammer of the Waters in my new essay

Looking forward to your essay on the God's Eye crater, I think it is likely that the Isle of Faces is considered holy because something from the heavens came down there. Primitive man would surely think so, not knowing it is merely space rock.

5 hours ago, LmL said:

The reasons I have trouble with the crater lake theory is that, as you said, the landform is more consistent with glacial formation, as we covered above. There are no obvious crater walls around the lake, which would certainly be there if it was the result of a meteor impact (or a volcanic crater for that matter). The lake being carved out by glacial action is also consistent with what we know of the geological history of Westeros, with documented ice ages and large flattish regions in the North, Neck and Riverlands (the latter of which also have, rivers, another possible indications of glacial action in the area).

If I remember correctly you believe that these meteor impacts from the second moon precipitated the Long Night? However as we discussed above the Long Night took place after the Pact was signed on the Isle of Faces. This would appear to preclude any Long Night-causing meteorite from forming the God's Eye and Isle of Faces; although it is of course still possible that the crater was formed by a meteorite many years before the Pact, this would then mean that it couldn't have caused the Long Night.

By the way, a very interesting essay!

2 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

The reasons I have trouble with the crater lake theory is that, as you said, the landform is more consistent with glacial formation, as we covered above. There are no obvious crater walls around the lake, which would certainly be there if it was the result of a meteor impact (or a volcanic crater for that matter). The lake being carved out by glacial action is also consistent with what we know of the geological history of Westeros, with documented ice ages and large flattish regions in the North, Neck and Riverlands (the latter of which also have, rivers, another possible indications of glacial action in the area).

If I remember correctly you believe that these meteor impacts from the second moon precipitated the Long Night? However as we discussed above the Long Night took place after the Pact was signed on the Isle of Faces. This would appear to preclude any Long Night-causing meteorite from forming the God's Eye and Isle of Faces; although it is of course still possible that the crater was formed by a meteorite many years before the Pact, this would then mean that it couldn't have caused the Long Night.

By the way, a very interesting essay!

Thanks! I for one do not regard the accepted chronology of the Dawn Age / Age of Heroes as constrictive. We really have no idea when any given event from 8,000 years ago happened in relationship to another event. I am fairly confident that the Pact happened right after the Long Night, not long before. The Hammer of the Waters, I am as sure as I can be that it is a description of a moon meteor which fell at the time of the Long Night.

I don't think the children called it down, and definitely not to stop the first men - that's mostly wrong, and it never made sense anyway. The children of the forest would never do anything to destroy the earth, IMO. Killing humans, sure, but not the earth. And if they had the power to drop the HotW, why just drop smaller hammers on the ringforts of the First Men and drive them away without destroying the entire arm of Dorne (or the moon, as it may be)? The ringforts make excellent targets, with all the FM clustered together. A couple of mini hammers and the FM would go running - who can fight landslides and localized earthquakes or whatever? No, the whole story has always seemed wrong, and my "mythical astronomy" line of research points to the Hammer being a moon meteor which fell at the time of the Long Night, brought on by A-hole in chief Azor Ahai. The Pact makes the most sense to have occurred after the children helped mankind survive the LN. What else would really make men stop their course of action and take up an entirely new religion? What causes that?

How about the cotf saved you from he brink of extinction with their little underground ecosystem which we saw in Bloodraven's cave? Blind fish and mushrooms for everyone - thanks and do you have any religion? It makes sense they would worship the trees after the cotf saved their bacon. 

On a related note, I think there is a ton of evidence that cotf were not the only greenseers of Dawn Age / pre-Long Night Westeros. In fact I think that all the original kings of the First Men were greenseers. A ton of evidence for this too, IMO (essay coming). So when it's said that "the greenseers called down the Hammer," that part is right. It was a greenseer - Azor Ahai the greenseer. Definitely not cotf though. I think the cotf basically get blamed for anything done by "greenseers," but they are not the only greenseers. 

Mans what's up with the horned green men on the Isle of Faces? They aren't cotf. What are they? I think I know. 

20 hours ago, LmL said:

We really have no idea when any given event from 8,000 years ago happened in relationship to another event. I am fairly confident that the Pact happened right after the Long Night, not long before.

I subscribe to the established chronology given in the books with a little wriggle room, although I am aware that many theories (including your own) do not.

I think the Pact must have happened either before or in the very early stages of the Long Night: that the Children warred with the First Men before the Long Night seems indisputable, and that they fought the Others, if not side-by-side then at least together, during it. The Pact would have been necessary to bind the two races together in the face of their common enemy.

20 hours ago, LmL said:

The Hammer of the Waters, I am as sure as I can be that it is a description of a moon meteor which fell at the time of the Long Night.

I personally believe that the phrase 'Hammer of the Waters' is a corruption of the original, which was 'The Hammer was the Waters': the Children caused a global sea level rise to wash away the Arm, with the side effect of inundating huge areas of coastline worldwide.

20 hours ago, LmL said:

The children of the forest would never do anything to destroy the earth, IMO. Killing humans, sure, but not the earth. And if they had the power to drop the HotW, why just drop smaller hammers on the ringforts of the First Men and drive them away without destroying the entire arm of Dorne (or the moon, as it may be)?

The Children knew Dorne as 'The Empty Land'. This indicates that they didn't have much to do with the region, and they may have regarded it as an acceptable loss to accomplish the goal of stemming the tide (heh) of First Men.

Also, if my interpretation is correct, the Hammer is an effective but unwieldy tool, incapable of being used with precision or inland.

20 hours ago, LmL said:

The Pact makes the most sense to have occurred after the children helped mankind survive the LN

Why would the Children want to help their enemies survive? I believe it took the Pact to bind the two races so that the Children had to help the First Men survive.

• 7 months later...

I think we can all agree that regardless whether asteroid impact, crater lake (maar) formed after a volcanic eruption, or simply gathered water from rivers, the land around it has been heavily eroded and thus it must be very very old, geologically. The Eiffel in Germany near the Belgian border is very old, used to be a tropical sea (back in the Pangean age), was a highly active volcanic region, and are now at the most soft glowing hills, with the occasional steep hill. I've visited that area twice now on field excursions for several days, and it's an area with multiple maars, with or without eroded hills surrounding it, but you'd have pyroclastic deposits further away, giant basalt bombs lying around somewhere (sometimes miles away), and find basalt stone, heck even a cold geyser that spews up every half hour.

Aside from glaciers and ice, the same erosive effects can be achieved by rising waters or seas or oceans. But then you'd find corals and fossilized shells in the soil of the hills or terrain, as you do in the Eiffel (especially Gerolstein).

A natural lake can't form unless it's situated in a natural depression of some sorts. It then would have several feeder rivers from surrounding higher ground. While Gods Eye has one river drawn on the book maps and the tWoIaF map, we know from the discussion between Gendry, Arya and Hot Pie that there are many rivers/streams/rivulets north of the Gods Eye as well. But the issue here is that these rivers don't feed the lake (except one that loops back towards Gods Eye), but most run from the lake to rivers that go to the sea. From this we can conclude that Gods Eye is on elevated soil and not in a geological depression at all.

The island does seem to fit a rebound soil mass resulting from an impact. It's entirely possible we don't see the impact crater walls, because the Gods Eye impact crater, if it is an impact crater, may be filled to the rim with water. The shoreline may actually be the crater wall. We just don't know how deep the water is between the shoreline and the island.

While there are some old weathered hills in the Riverlands, they seem quite a distance away from the Gods Eye. There aren't multiple lakes consistent with an old volcanic area such as the Eiffel, nor any typical geological features such as basalt poles, geyser, or pyroclastic bombs, or any other type of volcanic deposits. It would be cool to have volcanic activity linked to weirwood magic (with the mix of fire, water and weirwood magic going on in the RL), but it looks to me that indeed an impact crater might explain it best.

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

The island does seem to fit a rebound soil mass resulting from an impact. It's entirely possible we don't see the impact crater walls, because the Gods Eye impact crater, if it is an impact crater, may be filled to the rim with water. The shoreline may actually be the crater wall. We just don't know how deep the water is between the shoreline and the island.

While it is possible that we don't see the impact crater walls because the crater is filled with water, but that only covers the inside of the crater. On the outside you would still expect an upwards gradient to get to the rim of the crater, even if that rim had been substantially eroded over millions of years.

My preferred explanation is still glacial action. I was wondering if you had much of an opinion on that, because I still think it's the explanation that fits in best with what we know about the area.

On 4/16/2016 at 9:50 PM, The Ice Wolf of Loki said:

The COTF shattered the arm of Dorne and flooded the Neck, creating a lake around what seems to have been their magical fortress would be child's play (pardon the pun).

You're taking some 8000 year-old legends very literally. For some context, the oldest story that survives in our own world is the Epic of Gilgamesh, which is about 4000 years old.

I'm a bit more on board with the idea that the Gods Eye is a caldera lake due to other evidence of predominantly volcanic activity in Westeros/Essos.   I'll say though that I'm fairly certain that whatever the cause, GRRM did indeed draw inspiration from Crater Lake in Oregon.   Not only is it in his neck of the woods (somewhat) in Western US, Crater Lake has some interesting features that he's pulled into his story.

First, The Gods Eye:   

It is the largest lake of the Seven Kingdoms, located  in the southern riverlands.   The Isle of Faces is a lone island at the center and is where the Pact between the children of the forest and the First Men was formed.   The Gods Eye has blue and green water that is warm. Singers and storytellers tell the tale of the Green King of the Gods Eye, said to be a riverlands' First Man dating to the Age of Heroes.  The Green King ruled the Gods Eye.  

Now for Crater Lake:

Crater Lake is the deepest in the United States/Western Hemisphere and is famous for its deep blue color and water clarity.   The lake is  cold.  Crater Lake is also known for the "Old Man of the Lake", once a full-sized tree (now just a stump) that has been bobbing upright in the lake for over 100 years.   The tree has remained mostly intact in the lake due to the cold water temperature slowing decomposition.

Crater Lake has a small island in its center known as Wizard Island.   From Wikipedia:  "Wizard Island was created after Mount Mazama, a large stratovolcano, erupted violently approximately 7,700 years ago, forming its caldera which now contains Crater Lake. Following the cataclysmic caldera-forming eruption, which left a hole about 4,000 feet (1,200 m) deep where the mountain had once stood, a series of smaller lava eruptions over the next several hundred years formed later created a central platform - Wizard Island, which rises over 2,700 feet (820 m) above the lowest point on the caldera floor and the deepest point in the lake, and about 750 above lake surface level. The cone is capped by a volcanic crater about 500 feet (150 m) wide and 100 feet (30 m) deep. The crater was named the "Witches Cauldron".

Some hydrothermal activity remains along the lake floor, suggesting that at some time in the future Mazama may erupt once again."

Religious Significance:

The Isle of Faces is considered a sacred place and is the home of the last remaining weirwoods in the south.
We learn in the Knight of the Laughing Tree tale that Howland Reed visited the Isle of Faces prior to the events at the Tourney of Harrenhal, presumably in some sort of spiritual quest for knowledge.   He may or may not have spent time with the legendary Green Men.   Howland's people, the Crannog of the Neck, have been around for thousands of years - legend has it that they interacted closely with the CotF during the events of Hammer of the Waters in the Neck.

Compare to the spiritual association with Crater Lake (again, from Wikipedia):

"The Klamath tribe of Native Americans, whose ancestors may have witnessed the collapse of Mount Mazama and the formation of Crater Lake, have long regarded the lake as a sacred site. Their legends tell of a battle between the sky god Skell and the god of the underworld Llao.   Mount Mazama was destroyed in the battle, creating Crater Lake . The Klamath people used Crater Lake in vision quests, which often involved climbing the caldera walls and other dangerous tasks. Those who were successful in such quests were often regarded as having more spiritual powers. The tribe still holds Crater Lake in high regard as a spiritual site."

There's good indication that GRRM is looking to the geology, natural formations, and results of violent earth events that are either very close to him in terms of location (think Black Mesa or Obsidian Ridge, both in New Mexico)  and/or large-scale current events that got a lot of national attention.   George was in his 30s when Mt. St. Helen's erupted in Washington, and the HUGE eruption of Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippines occurred in 1991, shortly before he began writing AGOT. 

Just so everyone else is aware, there has been a thorough investigation into the idea of the Gods Eye as a crater lake done on YouTube by a fellow called An American Thinks.

And of course as the author of the major theory about meteors striking Planetos in the ancient past, I have always been of the opinion that the Gods Eye lake could be a crater lake. And if anyone is interested in the mountains of evidence in support of ancient meteor strikes on Planetos, that can all be found at my WordPress page, https://lucifermeanslightbringer.com.

3 hours ago, PrettyPig said:

I

There's good indication that GRRM is looking to the geology, natural formations, and results of violent earth events that are either very close to him in terms of location (think Black Mesa or Obsidian Ridge, both in New Mexico)  and/or large-scale current events that got a lot of national attention.   George was in his 30s when Mt. St. Helen's erupted in Washington, and the HUGE eruption of Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippines occurred in 1991, shortly before he began writing AGOT. 

:agree: I am in favor of the God's Eye being a collapsed volcano given the geothermal activity in the region.  I think it has it's analog in the Mother of Mountains at Vaes Dothrak with it's lake and religious significance.  Only the men are allowed to ascend the mountain.  

I'd include Braavos as a volcanic sea mount surrounded by water as well along with it's religious significance.  

7 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

While it is possible that we don't see the impact crater walls because the crater is filled with water, but that only covers the inside of the crater. On the outside you would still expect an upwards gradient to get to the rim of the crater, even if that rim had been substantially eroded over millions of years.

My preferred explanation is still glacial action. I was wondering if you had much of an opinion on that, because I still think it's the explanation that fits in best with what we know about the area.

No, actually it doesn't have to be like that, not on higher ground.

A couple of months ago I installed a program called Fractal Terrains, in which you can create whole planets according to settings with randomized influence. Create mountain chains, have it rained on by asteroids, and mimic erosion effects of an ice age by having everything flooded and eroded sequentially. I had 1500 asteroids drop on my planet. A few mountains ranges became mesa like, or something similar to the Grand Canyon. An archipelago of hundred islands became one continent. Asteroid impact basically flattened areas. While the erosion process carved through everything.

21 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

No, actually it doesn't have to be like that, not on higher ground.

A couple of months ago I installed a program called Fractal Terrains, in which you can create whole planets according to settings with randomized influence. Create mountain chains, have it rained on by asteroids, and mimic erosion effects of an ice age by having everything flooded and eroded sequentially. I had 1500 asteroids drop on my planet. A few mountains ranges became mesa like, or something similar to the Grand Canyon. An archipelago of hundred islands became one continent. Asteroid impact basically flattened areas. While the erosion process carved through everything.

Hmm ok, I take your point. But are we agreed that if the lake was created by a meteorite impact, it would have been in the distant past?

46 minutes ago, Maester of Valyria said:

Hmm ok, I take your point. But are we agreed that if the lake was created by a meteorite impact, it would have been in the distant past?

How distant in your mind?

Sorry if someone has already noticed this - I admit I haven't read the whole thread.

Prince Daemon took Caraxes up swiftly, lashing him with a steel-tipped whip until they disappeared into a bank of clouds. Vhagar, older and much the larger, was also slower, made ponderous by her very size, and ascended more gradually, in ever widening circles that took her and her rider out over the waters of the Gods Eye. The hour was late, the sun was close to setting, and the lake was calm, its surface glimmering like a sheet of beaten copper. Up and up she soared, searching for Caraxes as Alys Rivers watched from atop Kingspyre Tower in Harrenhal below.

The attack came sudden as a thunderbolt. Caraxes dove down upon Vhagar with a piercing shriek that was heard a dozen miles away, cloaked by the glare of the setting sun on Prince Aemond’s blind side. The Blood Wyrm slammed into the older dragon with terrible force. Their roars echoed across the Gods Eye as the two grappled and tore at one another, dark against a blood red sky. So bright did their flames burn that fisherfolk below feared the clouds themselves had caught fire. Locked together, the dragons tumbled toward the lake. The Blood Wyrm’s jaws closed about Vhagar’s neck, her black teeth sinking deep into the flesh of the larger dragon. Even as Vhagar’s claws raked her belly open and Vhagar’s own teeth ripped away a wing, Caraxes bit deeper, worrying at the wound as the lake rushed up below them with terrible speed.

And it was then, the tales tell us, that Prince Daemon Targaryen swung a leg over his saddle and leapt from one dragon to the other. In his hand was Dark Sister, the sword of Queen Visenya. As Aemond One-Eye looked up in terror, fumbling with the chains that bound him to his saddle, Daemon ripped off his nephew’s helm and drove the sword down into his blind eye, so hard the point came out the back of the young prince’s throat. Half a heartbeat later, the dragons struck the lake, sending up a gout of water so high that it was said to have been as tall as Kingspyre Tower.

I think this whole scene shows whole history of Gods Eye. 

Firstly, some celestial catastrophe happens (IMO Second Moon's destruction, but really it doesn't matter), sending debris/metheors down to Plannetos.

"Prince Daemon took Caraxes up swiftly, lashing him with a steel-tipped whip until they disappeared into a bank of clouds. Vhagar, older and much the larger, was also slower, made ponderous by her very size, and ascended more gradually, in ever widening circles that took her and her rider out over the waters of the Gods Eye. The hour was late, the sun was close to setting, and the lake was calm, its surface glimmering like a sheet of beaten copper. "

The metheors (or whatever) enter upper atmosphere. Smaller fragments, assuming that there was some kind of explosion, reach Planetos faster than that larger chunk of rock. This makes no sense when it comes to gravity - but logically the parts of whatever celestial body that were closer to the explosion broke into smaller pieces and gained bigger momentum than larger (less affected) parts. 

So, smaller meteors enter atmosphere as first, but they burn.

Calm lake glimmering like a copper = that area before the cataclysm, just flat earth.

The attack came sudden as a thunderbolt. Caraxes dove down upon Vhagar with a piercing shriek that was heard a dozen miles away, cloaked by the glare of the setting sun  - this paragraph evokes Thor and his hammer Mjolnir, and let's compare this to this passage from ACoK:

'The air was full of birds, crows mostly. From afar, they were no larger than flies as they wheeled and flapped above the thatched roofs. To the east, Gods Eye was a sheet of sun-hammered blue that filled half the world. Some days, as they made their slow way up the muddy shore (Gendry wanted no part of any roads, and even Hot Pie and Lommy saw the sense in that), Arya felt as though the lake were calling her. She wanted to leap into those placid blue waters, to feel clean again, to swim and splash and bask in the sun.'

Note the 'lake were calling here' - pararelling the COTF 'calling down the Hammer of Waters'. On the shore of Gods Eye there is:

'.... a holdfast called Briarwhite, some fieldhands surrounded them in a cornfield, demanding coin for the ears they'd taken. Yoren eyed their scythes and tossed them a few coppers. "Time was, a man in black was feasted from Dorne to Winterfell, and even high lords called it an honor to shelter him under their roofs," he said bitterly. "Now cravens like you want hard coin for a bite of wormy apple." He spat.'

Briarwhite plays the role of weirwood here, hinting that COTF or human greenseers did it - after all they live on isle which is now in the middle of the lake.

So bright did their flames burn that fisherfolk below feared the clouds themselves had caught fire. Locked together, the dragons tumbled toward the lake - So there might have been two large meteors that crashed into each other high above it.

'Daemon ripped off his nephew’s helm and drove the sword down into his blind eye, so hard the point came out the back of the young prince’s throat. Half a heartbeat later, the dragons struck the lake, sending up a gout of water so high that it was said to have been as tall as Kingspyre Tower.' 

Sword driven into blind eye is meteor hitting the future lake. Note that Aemond's eye socket is empty, dry - just like the hole would be dry and empty right after the crash. Over many years it'd fill with water, creating our modern Gods Eye.

Jace was old enough to grasp the insult. He flew at Aemond again, but the older boy began pummeling him savagely … until Luke, coming to the rescue of his brother, drew his dagger and slashed Aemond’s face, taking out his right eye. By the time the stableboys arrived to pull apart the combatants, the prince was writhing on the ground, howling in pain, and Vhagar was roaring as well.

Aemond One Eye (note the Odin imagery - some say that story of Odin's lose of one eye to gain wisdom was used to explain why the sky has only one eye - sun) lost his eye to Lucerys Velaryon - and Velaryons have strong connections with greenseers and sea dragons (via Driftwood Throne, High Tide castle etc) - that gives us another clue who is responsible for creating Gods Eye - a dragonlord greenseer - we can go even further and use 'Bloody Wyrm' and the rest of that black and red sky imagery to coclude who is directly responsible - Azor Ahai himself, the Bloodstone Emperor - he is the one who 'cast down the true gods', by 'stealing' their eye.

The 'piercing shriek that was heard a dozen miles away' might actually be Nissa Nissa's cry of anguish and ecstasy that broke down the moon.

4 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

Oh absolutely. Geologically speaking we're talking about hundred thousands of years ago here imo, not ten thousand, which sort of fits the world book. For most places we have some remnant of a legendary astronomical or geological event: the Iron Islands, the Neck, the Arm, Hardhome, Doom of Valyria, Ashai, Starfall, heck even the moon destruction. We don't have stories about the Gods Eye creation though. We only have the Pact story, which establishes that it was already long there. The oral leftovers about the Gods Eye lacking any origin story also suggest it predates the oral witnesses on Westeros.

Now @LmL that's not necessarily an issue for your mythological astronomy. The comet returns, and it's a cycle. Maybe the "crack of the moon" part of the legends was a deducted legend: that is the crack on the moon's face may have been there before mankind made a story about it. They might not even have bothered with the crack initially. It's not until the moon kisses the sun and pours dragons out with devestating results that mankind could deduce how the crack on the moon's face may have gotten there. Maybe the Gods Eye is an impact crater of the crack of the moon event that might predate at least humans.

For all we know it might be a crater impact that brought the building blocks of life onto the planet. I could see the lake and its island as a source of life. 

Archived