BBC Line of Duty [SPOILERS] s1 to present

red snow

Season 4 casting news:

Line Of Duty – which is moving from BBC Two to BBC One – has tapped Thandie Newton (Rogue, The Slap) to play the new target of AC-12 in the show’s upcoming fourth season.

The shows’s fourth season focusses on DCI Roz Huntley (Newton) and her team, who are in the thick of a career-defining case: Operation Trapdoor. Under intense pressure to catch the culprit and prove herself to her superiors, and facing conflict with one of her colleagues, it’s not long before AC-12 decide to probe her handling of the investigation.

In addition to Thandie Newton, other new cast additions include Lee Ingleby (Our Zoo) as Nick, Roz’s husband; Jason Watkins (The Lost Honour Of Christopher Jefferies) as Tim Ifield, the forensic co-ordinator Roz is in conflict with; and Royce Pierreson (Death In Paradise) as DC Jamie Desford, the newest addition to AC-12. They join returning cast members Martin Compston as DS Steve Arnott, Vicky McClure as DS Kate Fleming, Adrian Dunbar as Superintendent Ted Hastings and Maya Sodhi as PC Maneet Bindra.

Production gets underway next month in Belfast, Northern Ireland for a 2017 premiere. A fifth season has already been commissioned.

• 2 weeks later...

The official synopsis reveals:

[Season 4] begins with Roz and her team in the thick of a career-defining case, Operation Trapdoor. Under intense pressure to catch the culprit and prove herself to her superiors, and facing conflict with her colleague, Forensic Coordinator Tim Ifield (Jason Watkins), it’s not long before AC-12 decide to probe her handling of the investigation. A mother of two and wife to husband Nick, (Lee Ingleby), Roz will do anything to stop her life unravelling. Anything.

“Determined to uncover the truth, Detective Sergeant Steve Arnott (Martin Compston), Detective Sergeant Kate Fleming (Vicky McClure) and Superintendent Ted Hastings (Adrian Dunbar) must work together to tackle their most devious opponent yet. They are aided by PC Maneet Bindra (Maya Sondhi) and newcomer Detective Constable Jamie Desford (Royce Pierreson).”

1 hour ago, red snow said:

You watched season 1, right?

I did, but the character is so unlike able I want to see Jack Bauer lent over him pulling his teeth out while electric shocking him, the rest of the AC 12 characters are good, just Steve is unredeemably irritating.

27 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

I did, but the character is so unlike able I want to see Jack Bauer lent over him pulling his teeth out while electric shocking him, the rest of the AC 12 characters are good, just Steve is unredeemably irritating.

I know what you mean but that's sort of what I like about the character - he's not a sympathetic lead but a bit of an idiot. Still he gets the job done.

I think Ted is my favourite character.

45 minutes ago, red snow said:

I know what you mean but that's sort of what I like about the character - he's not a sympathetic lead but a bit of an idiot. Still he gets the job done.

I think Ted is my favourite character.

Agreed, Ted is awesome, I actually like how straight down the line and black and white he is, Kates alright too.

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

Agreed, Ted is awesome, I actually like how straight down the line and black and white he is, Kates alright too.

Even when it looks like there's potential for him to bend or be corrupt his indomitable will of what's right and wrong always shines through which is a joy to watch. Makes you hope that's what real like people in his position are like! Kate is more like him in that respect than Steve. Steve's heart is in the right place but his penis usually isn't.

• 4 months later...

looks like we don't have to wait too long for season 4 - possibly in spring rather than a 2 year wait. Thandie Newton is this season's "is she a bent cop or not". Although given how last season started is she really going to be the focus?

My expectations are high after last season. Here's hoping they can meet them especially with the relatively quick turnaround.

• 3 weeks later...

the highly secretive BBC will be airing soon. Could be next week. Honestly it's beyond me why they go for the ninja releases. Sometimes it feels like they only tell us because the tv listings for the week ahead are out.

With this and Broadchurch it should be a good month or two for crime TV. Line of Duty has a much stronger track record though but I think the different focus for Broadchurch will help it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2017 at 7:39 PM, red snow said:

the highly secretive BBC will be airing soon. Could be next week. Honestly it's beyond me why they go for the ninja releases. Sometimes it feels like they only tell us because the tv listings for the week ahead are out.

They announced it on twitter the day before: Sunday 26th March 9pm

For once I was tipped off on this one watching the Andrew Marr show of all things. He actually has a good interview with Thandie Newton about her role in the show and why she loved Westworld so much.

I do fear my expectations may be too high for this season but they've yet to disappoint.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a big fan of the first two series of this (particularly the second), but I missed series three last year and only just caught up on it this week.  It's really good, and I'm glad I'm not going to miss series 4.

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

The first episode just aired, I thought it was great, even better start than the last one.

Not sure it was as good an opening as previous seasons but still very strong. I like how it appears to be a fresh start as I don't know how much further they can go with the "caddy arc" although that was never fully resolved and the seasons do tend to have the uber story crop up later. Still I think the show could benefit from a season that isn't as connected assuming this is now a show with a couple more seasons left. 

I thought it was going to be a bit repetitive for the cop under investigation to die in episode one but thankfully that's been subverted - assuming Thandie Newton avoids being cut up. I don't think the forensics person is balaclava man and that he had those props for his "at home investigation" but this is now going to make him look guilty. Or more accurately crazy as there'd be no incentive for him to cast doubt on the innocent guy being convicted if Forensics guy was the killer. But he's in a world of trouble having met with the last victim in the coffee shop. It could be fun for them to play around with multiple people assuming the guise of balaclava man for various reasons. "Neil" is looking suspicious if you ask me - I don't think Thandie Newton is entirely guilty and thay underlings, like Neil, may be the major culprits. Although if she were a good cop she'd be more open to the possibility they have the wrong person.

Leftfield thought is that there's something up with Thandie Newton's husband. Probably a bit of misdirection with him not being home on time and it'll probably turn out he's having an affair rather than somehow trying to help her case by framing a suspect.

47 minutes ago, Plessiez said:

I was a big fan of the first two series of this (particularly the second), but I missed series three last year and only just caught up on it this week.  It's really good, and I'm glad I'm not going to miss series 4.

You really need to watch the second series as it's excellent and is currently on iplayer as a box set. The new series hasn't directly spoiled anything yet but it may do along the line. It'll be well worth your time especially since you've enjoyed the others.

It follows on from series two quite directly and has some big reveals in it. Hopefully we spoiler tagged things in this thread.

This series is feeling quite different which is making for a refreshing change. I'll put everything in spoilers about episode 2

so the major difference is that the person the enquiry is about is genuinely crooked. Although weirdly maybe only because AC-12 were investigating her. I guess she wasn't really thinking straight as I think most people would have looked at it as self defense given the fact the guy was trying to chop her up. Now she's made herself look really guilty and is now committing crimes and perverting the course of justice. Making me wonder if she also set the other guy up.

What astounds me for such a criminal mastermind is that she had to write the evidence number down and write it down incorrectly but I guess thirteen and thirty is a tricky one.

I'm slightly confused though. If she is setting up the forensics guy as balaclava man it seems a bit odd that he's the one casting doubt over the other guy's arrest. It seems like a bit of hole - especially with her trying to keep the original suspect in prison too. Or did i miss something?

I'm not sure how i feel about the promotion rivalry between Steve and Kate. I'd think given what they'd been through there'd be less competition especially after what happened to Steve in season 3. Worse is the implication that Hastings is showing favouritism - he himself pointed out that Steve is a liability after the whole trial he was on. I also didn't buy Hastings' reason for giving the promotion to Steve. From what I remember Kate was already working at AC-12 before Steve joined but I may be misremembering (I do recall that Steve was surprised she was undercover AC-12 the first time they met). Anyway I don't like the implication that Hastings is showing favoritism even if it does fit in well with the overall narrative. And Hasting's comments about Huntley's career stall and his use of "darling" and "little lady" seems like there is a concerted effort to show he's a male chauvinist

Still too soon to say whether it's as good as last series but it's still enjoyable - maybe just a little far-fetched so far. Although no car chases yet :P

Archived