BBC Line of Duty [SPOILERS] s1 to present

red snow

23 hours ago, red snow said:

This series is feeling quite different which is making for a refreshing change. I'll put everything in spoilers about episode 2

Hide contents

so the major difference is that the person the enquiry is about is genuinely crooked. Although weirdly maybe only because AC-12 were investigating her. I guess she wasn't really thinking straight as I think most people would have looked at it as self defense given the fact the guy was trying to chop her up. Now she's made herself look really guilty and is now committing crimes and perverting the course of justice. Making me wonder if she also set the other guy up.

What astounds me for such a criminal mastermind is that she had to write the evidence number down and write it down incorrectly but I guess thirteen and thirty is a tricky one.

I'm slightly confused though. If she is setting up the forensics guy as balaclava man it seems a bit odd that he's the one casting doubt over the other guy's arrest. It seems like a bit of hole - especially with her trying to keep the original suspect in prison too. Or did i miss something?

I'm not sure how i feel about the promotion rivalry between Steve and Kate. I'd think given what they'd been through there'd be less competition especially after what happened to Steve in season 3. Worse is the implication that Hastings is showing favouritism - he himself pointed out that Steve is a liability after the whole trial he was on. I also didn't buy Hastings' reason for giving the promotion to Steve. From what I remember Kate was already working at AC-12 before Steve joined but I may be misremembering (I do recall that Steve was surprised she was undercover AC-12 the first time they met). Anyway I don't like the implication that Hastings is showing favoritism even if it does fit in well with the overall narrative. And Hasting's comments about Huntley's career stall and his use of "darling" and "little lady" seems like there is a concerted effort to show he's a male chauvinist

Still too soon to say whether it's as good as last series but it's still enjoyable - maybe just a little far-fetched so far. Although no car chases yet :P

Spoiler

Well to be fair,i wouldn't promote either one of them :D Remember that Kate in the previous series had an affair with the victim's husband and we know the fuckup Steve was involved in with Denton.They both have a way to go i feel.

My question is why was Roz allowed inside the forensic evidence room without the officer present.Also,don't they have CCTV's in such places to protect against the illegal planting/removal of evidence she carried out?

At this point Roz is running rings around AC-12 but we know things will go to hell for her soon, if we follow the structure of previous seasons.I'm just wondering if she's going to make a mistake or whether she already has (the incorrect labelling on the forensics bag).We also know that Steve and Kate were particular about finding Ifield's laptop and phone.Presumably Roz has them stashed at her home,which means it's likely that her husband might discover them?

9 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:
  Hide contents

Well to be fair,i wouldn't promote either one of them :D Remember that Kate in the previous series had an affair with the victim's husband and we know the fuckup Steve was involved in with Denton.They both have a way to go i feel.

My question is why was Roz allowed inside the forensic evidence room without the officer present.Also,don't they have CCTV's in such places to protect against the illegal planting/removal of evidence she carried out?

At this point Roz is running rings around AC-12 but we know things will go to hell for her soon, if we follow the structure of previous seasons.I'm just wondering if she's going to make a mistake or whether she already has (the incorrect labelling on the forensics bag).We also know that Steve and Kate were particular about finding Ifield's laptop and phone.Presumably Roz has them stashed at her home,which means it's likely that her husband might discover them?

The CCTV workarounds in two scenes were a case of reality bending for the script, i agree.

I also agree about the promotions

I forgot about Ros's previous misdemeanours

I'm sure the super competent middle-management policewoman from AC-12 will crack the case open again like she did in series 3.

10 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Sorry,but which misdemeanours do you mean?

I also think that Roz's husband will have an important part to play.I;m sure they didn't just hire Lee Ingleby for a two-bit role.

whoops I meant kate's misdemeanours you mentioned.

My far out theory is that he's the one who framed the other guy to help his wife's career. Strange how he was late home on the night in question. I think he may also have been out at some point in the other episode too? I guess he has a job :P

Probably a bit too far fetched for him to be balaclava man.

On 04/04/2017 at 6:53 PM, red snow said:

whoops I meant kate's misdemeanours you mentioned.

My far out theory is that he's the one who framed the other guy to help his wife's career. Strange how he was late home on the night in question. I think he may also have been out at some point in the other episode too? I guess he has a job :P

Probably a bit too far fetched for him to be balaclava man.

Or maybe not :)

Well, I was thinking the episode was fairly pedestrian until that final minute - surely I can't beleive what I just saw?

they can't kill Arnott!!! But even if he survives surely he's out of the picture for the rest of the series? Such a shame as, yet again, he's totally called the case - he just doesn't have the evidence. Not sure how he had the feeling Ros killed the Forensics guy but at least he told the others. I'll be quite sad if that's the last of Steve or if he's crippled.

Fuckin Ell.

yeah, i was going to say it's been a bit of a pedestrian series by the standards of the other ones but that was a bit of a shocker all right. I don't see how he survives a three storey fall onto his head. Plus they introduced the new guy the same episode. They always did that in Spooks before they killed off a character.

However, i also don't see how Huntley is the balaclava man. Too many things dont make sense. Did he follow his wife to Tims house or what and how are they having a normalish relationship if theyre both covering up each others murders.

23 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

All I can say is yes :D.

You truly are evil.

22 hours ago, john said:

Fuckin Ell.

Hide contents

yeah, i was going to say it's been a bit of a pedestrian series by the standards of the other ones but that was a bit of a shocker all right. I don't see how he survives a three storey fall onto his head. Plus they introduced the new guy the same episode. They always did that in Spooks before they killed off a character.

However, i also don't see how Huntley is the balaclava man. Too many things dont make sense. Did he follow his wife to Tims house or what and how are they having a normalish relationship if theyre both covering up each others murders.

It does have a bit of a spooks vibe

They set it up well in the sense i thought the husband was going to throw himself out the window and Steve would wind up being accused of harassment, so the attack did throw me. I think he could be balaclava man (what with his absences) but I'm starting to think the show is playing with balaclava man as a "legend" and others are using him when convenient eg the forensic scientist.

If Steve is dead or even if he survives, i can't see how he'll have a role in the show unless we wind up with some kind of "6 months/a year later" scenario.

But that will really shake up the show's dynamics as he's essentially the main character, of all the AC-12 characters the story focuses on him the most - although the show is always about the people being investigated.

22 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Fuck! Did not expect that ending at all.:stunned:

Hide contents

So do we think Balaclava Man is the husband?

With the frame-up of the maid/cleaning lady,Roz has now crossed the line for me.She's definitely the baddie now.Will be happy to see her go down now.I hope Steve recovers!:crying:

Roz is truly the most genuinely corrupt focus of an investigation we've had so far. The others were either innocent, put in an impossible situation or taking revenge on someone who molested them as a kid. Roz murdered the Forensic scientist in a way that she should have been able to come forward about it. Yet she covered it up. Framing the former victim goes from warped sense of self preservation to being as bad as the woman's attacker (an interesting angle to go for). It also strongly suggests that she's doing exactly the same thing to the guy who's sitting in prison at the moment. It's pretty bad how her entire team are naive enough to go along with this and liked how the replacement lead on the investigation made a very valid point of how the team were avoiding obvious procedure to follow Roz's plans.

If it wasn't for the fact Roz's husband was clueless about where she was on the night of the forensic guy's murder, I'd be open to the possibility he rescued Roz. Afterall, we are yet to see how she got out of the situation where she was concussed with a saw dangling over her.

The husband seems to have a contact - who is probably more than just his legal advisor. I wonder if there's still room for this to be connected to the show's overall villains, the ones above the Caddy?

I know a few people who've only started watching this show since the extra promotional push of moving to BBC1. I think they were wondering why I was so positive about the show - now they have a better idea.

UPDATE: apparently the character in question was originally only listed as being in 3 episodes of this series on IMDB. That's since been changed but makes you wonder about their fate.

7 minutes ago, red snow said:

You truly are evil.

It does have a bit of a spooks vibe

Hide contents

They set it up well in the sense i thought the husband was going to throw himself out the window and Steve would wind up being accused of harassment, so the attack did throw me. I think he could be balaclava man (what with his absences) but I'm starting to think the show is playing with balaclava man as a "legend" and others are using him when convenient eg the forensic scientist.

If Steve is dead or even if he survives, i can't see how he'll have a role in the show unless we wind up with some kind of "6 months/a year later" scenario.

But that will really shake up the show's dynamics as he's essentially the main character, of all the AC-12 characters the story focuses on him the most - although the show is always about the people being investigated.

Reveal hidden contents

Roz is truly the most genuinely corrupt focus of an investigation we've had so far. The others were either innocent, put in an impossible situation or taking revenge on someone who molested them as a kid. Roz murdered the Forensic scientist in a way that she should have been able to come forward about it. Yet she covered it up. Framing the former victim goes from warped sense of self preservation to being as bad as the woman's attacker (an interesting angle to go for). It also strongly suggests that she's doing exactly the same thing to the guy who's sitting in prison at the moment. It's pretty bad how her entire team are naive enough to go along with this and liked how the replacement lead on the investigation made a very valid point of how the team were avoiding obvious procedure to follow Roz's plans.

If it wasn't for the fact Roz's husband was clueless about where she was on the night of the forensic guy's murder, I'd be open to the possibility he rescued Roz. Afterall, we are yet to see how she got out of the situation where she was concussed with a saw dangling over her.

The husband seems to have a contact - who is probably more than just his legal advisor. I wonder if there's still room for this to be connected to the show's overall villains, the ones above the Caddy?

I know a few people who've only started watching this show since the extra promotional push of moving to BBC1. I think they were wondering why I was so positive about the show - now they have a better idea.

Thank you :) .

7 minutes ago, red snow said:

Don't underestimate the power of the dark side

I don't , I embrace its power, although if it was me:

Spoiler

I'd have blasted Steve with force lightning before flinging him down the stairs to his doom, actually I'd have used a window instead of stairs, that worked well with Mace Windu :P 

Do I redeem myself somewhat because I felt a tiny bit of sympathy for Hana?.

Just watched episode four of the new series.Oh PC Maneet! Did not see that coming at all :o

Spoiler

Wonder what it was she handed over to the slimy ACC Hilton? What else has she passed onto Hilton?Bet Hilton is blackmailing her.

The interrogation scenes have always been the highlight of this show and the one in this episode did not disappoint.Man,Roz pretty much wiped the floor with AC-12.:D

Oh well,at least

Spoiler

Steve is alive!;)

DC Jodie is really annoying.Nice spying work for Roz though.:P

Roz slapped her husband around like a boss.Poor dude,he's in an abusive relationship.There's something odd about him that i just can't put my finger on.

Superb episode.

Spoiler

They way they linked back stuff to previous seasons has me thinking that we might see a familiar face in next week's finale episode.Maneet needs to come clean,no matter what Hilton has on her.I'm also glad that DS Neil saw through some of the bullshit and told Kate about the new evidence.DC Jodie on the other hand is coming off as stupidly sycophantic.

A reviewer summed up Roz perfectly for me:

Roz also appears to have a narcissistic personality disorder with distinct sociopathic traits, as this episode made shockingly clear. Before this week I did still believe there might be a surprise reveal in Roz’s favour. She was covering for her husband perhaps, or had some hidden, valid agenda we had yet to glimpse. This week, all that went out of the window: Roz Huntley’s only justification for doing anything is the preservation and possible glorification of Roz Huntley. She’s less a human being than a collection of rabid fears jostling for supremacy within a host body. Her every action simply seems part of the expert mask she presents to the world.

Spoiler

I am now convinced that the lawyer is the bad guy in this, though Roz must be the one who killed Tim Ifield. I think Lakewell made Farmer confess to the rape years ago and then used him as the fall guy when he started attacking women again.

AC12 made a big deal out of saying Nick Huntley and Farmer had the same lawyer, therefore Nick could have known about Farmer. But of course it also means the lawyer knows. And while Nick and Roz have been so suspicious of each other, they have openly shared information about the cases with Lakewell.

But it is the links to the earlier series that really has me interested. I wonder if they are finally going to uncover some big conspiracy between police and organised crime centred around this hiding of bodies and people in balaclavas, or if it is going to be revealed as nothing more than a coincidence.

Whatever happens, this has been (another) fantastic series of Line of Duty and I can't wait for the resolution next week!

I've been on holiday so only just seen the last two episodes.

Maneet broke my heart with the revelation she's the mole! At one point I was wondering if they were going to have her feel like AC-12 was a bit racist as well as sexist with the way the white folks are excluding Jamie but then she went and screwed him over. I think the racism angle will come into play via Jamie though who is understandably pissed at his treatment.

Lawyer is definitely the prime suspect for balaclava man and person who beat Steve up. Which makes the "ironside" joke by the Lawyer even nastier.

I was wondering how and if this series would tie into the overarcing story and episode 5 nicely brought it into play. Is the cop at the top involved or is he still just ineffective and covering his own ass rather than being connected to criminal underworld?

So far I'd say it's still my least favorite series of the show but it's still great TV. What's dragging it down for me is

how Roz really shouldn't have gotten away with so much and it has relied largely on her team being lousy (although there's been a a glimmer of independ thought from them) and evidence being generally ignored (how has that poor guy remained in prison so long?) or conveniently undiscovered (that wound should have got her noticed). But series 3 had the silly car chase at the end and is still my favourite.

Good to hear it's getting a 5th series.

Did the binge watch in time for last night's finale.

It's been a lot of fun, but does rely on some ludicrous points. 

Turning the tables on the questioner in AC12 interviews (every series now) becoming a bit formulaic and wasn't really convincing.  Roz's was probably the best, but still a stretch.

The whole festering MRSA wound was fairly ridiculous, when antibiotics are so easily available, even without seeing your own GP.  And being up and out of bed after suffering septic shock, not going to happen.

I've really enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but it does stretch credulity regularly.  That said, I'll be in for series 5. :)

It was actually quite a strong ending to what I still feel is their weakest series. Things just seemed a lot more clear cut whereas there's usually a bit more ambiguity to AC-12s targets.

Hastings or should we call him Hawkeye now?

I also agree that this one had some of the most ridiculous plot points.

glad to see the weasely top cop out of the picture - what a shit. Bit of a shame that Jamie turned out to be corrupt as well.

Pleased they will be back next series and maybe with the upsurge in viewers they'll work on a bigger/stronger story. Although I do wonder whether the relatively short turn around maybe compromised this series? Usually there's been 2 years between series.

Yeah, i agree it's getting sillier as it goes along.

Lets review -

the whole investigation at this point is based on a dying man blinking the letter H.:lol:

Happily all the top cops involved have the letter H at the start of their surname. One is them is now revealed as corrupt and suspiciously kills himself but the investigation goes on because maybe the dying bloke meant somebody else when he was courageously blinking that H! It could even be, as the series seems to desperately want us to infer, that Hastings fella who has, so far, led all the efforts into investigating the criminal conspiracy but tellingly his targets usually end up dead rather than arrested.  He even killed one himself this ep. And then of course there's the fact that most of these corrupt cops are only corrupt because the gang is going round killing people and putting their dna on the bodies.

I mean come on! Still very enjoyable though.

Archived