Heresy 184

Black Crow

2 hours ago, Mace Cooterian said:

Before this segment of Heresy draws to a close I'm still of the mood to dream of spiders.

At some point as they continue their march South, the WW's are going to run out of runway and end up at the wall.  There are several potential outcomes that would then come into play:

1.  They flip everybody at the Wall off and say na-na na-na boo-boo we ran you all of the North and now it's our to keep.  Doubtful.

2.  They walk right through the wall and materialize on the other side....T-1000 like in Terminator 2.  Again, doubtful.

3.  Somebody whips out the Horn of Joruman and the wall comes tumbling down.  This is quickly followed up by the hit single..."Then the Sh*t hits the Fan".  Possible.

4.  The WW's start crawling up the wall, without cables, hooks or spikes...sort of "spider like".  I'm somewhat intrigued.

5.  And perhaps my personal favorite, they whistle and the ice spiders come out of the group like sand crabs on a beach at nighttime.  The  WW's mount their mares and hi-oh silver to the top of the wall.  That's what I would like to see.

wws smite walkers,once that cold wind gets pass the wall its a done deal as the greenseers will ride that all the way down.

Melissandre has the best idea on getting through a structure that has spells woven in it where no shadows can pass.Go under it.Aren't there tunnels under the Wall? 

Or,if they reopen the tunnels they filled in during Mance's assault then all they got to do is bust down the gates and they can go through.

3 hours ago, Mace Cooterian said:

Before this segment of Heresy draws to a close I'm still of the mood to dream of spiders.

At some point as they continue their march South, the WW's are going to run out of runway and end up at the wall.  There are several potential outcomes that would then come into play:

1.  They flip everybody at the Wall off and say na-na na-na boo-boo we ran you all of the North and now it's our to keep.  Doubtful.

2.  They walk right through the wall and materialize on the other side....T-1000 like in Terminator 2.  Again, doubtful.

3.  Somebody whips out the Horn of Joruman and the wall comes tumbling down.  This is quickly followed up by the hit single..."Then the Sh*t hits the Fan".  Possible.

4.  The WW's start crawling up the wall, without cables, hooks or spikes...sort of "spider like".  I'm somewhat intrigued.

5.  And perhaps my personal favorite, they whistle and the ice spiders come out of the group like sand crabs on a beach at nighttime.  The  WW's mount their mares and hi-oh silver to the top of the wall.  That's what I would like to see.

The most anticlimactic outcome:

They walk right up to the Black Gate and open the door, because the Nightfort and the Wall rightfully belong to the true King(s) of Winter.

4 hours ago, Arry'sFleas said:

well, that is what Sam saw; vision may not be the right word, 'appearance'..as in the WW takes the appearance of..

so what do you make of this? from Sam:

The Other slid gracefully from the saddle to stand upon the snow. Sword-slim it was, and milky white. Its armor rippled and shifted as it moved, and its feet did not break the crust of the new-fallen snow.

I sit corrected, but as ever we're dealing with magic and glamours and the walker was still in the end all too corporeal. If he was just as insubstantial as Mel's creatures it would be sufficient for the application of dragonglass to whirl him away like mist, but instead he bleeds, the flesh [and presumably the armour] melts off his bones and the bones dissolve into that all too real very cold puddle - just as the Ice Dragon did so very long ago.

5 hours ago, Mace Cooterian said:

In considering the outcomes I'm mindful of a couple of things. First there's Ygritte's assertion that the Wall is evil and Mel's assertions about the magic used to raise the Wall and the magic within it, which both pretty strongly suggest that the Wall itself is going to come down at some point. Indeed I still maintain that its fall will be integral to the resolution of the story.

At what point it will fall we obviously don't know. If it was indeed raised by whoever is behind Craster's boys then they may bring it down when it suits them to allow the armies of the undead to walk over it. Conversely if its to come later its worth bearing in mind that Craster's boys are few in number; they themselves are not a horde and if the black gate and any other portals can be unlocked then they can simply walk through and raise fresh legions of the undead south of the wall.

20 hours ago, Mace Cooterian said:

Word.

Might be those tunnels are theirs.

(I'd still like to see some cute little hound-sized ones burst from the bodies of wights though. LOL)

20 hours ago, Arry'sFleas said:

so what do you make of this? from Sam:

The Other slid gracefully from the saddle to stand upon the snow. Sword-slim it was, and milky white. Its armor rippled and shifted as it moved, and its feet did not break the crust of the new-fallen snow.

Winter terraforms the planet for them. Snow is ice. And the frozen dead lands are their habitat. Just as we stand upon carbon.

17 hours ago, Matthew. said:

They walk right up to the Black Gate and open the door, because the Nightfort and the Wall rightfully belong to the true King(s) of Winter.

They are Brandon's words, after all. And he likely installed the door in the first place. :devil:

15 hours ago, Black Crow said:

it would be sufficient for the application of dragonglass to whirl him away like mist, but instead he bleeds, the flesh [and presumably the armour] melts off his bones and the bones dissolve into that all too real very cold puddle

that's right, this is what happens when you apply the right level of heat to ice, it melts.

Dry ice can transform into liquid or gas...i am really not sure how Martin has established his magic around the concept, but he is playing with it.

2 hours ago, Voice said:

And he likely installed the door in the first place. :devil:

Even though I'm sure this will never be answered in the text, I wonder where that talking, weeping weirwood face came from anyway. Was it made from scratch, or did someone carve the face (and its resident spirit) away from a heart tree, blind it, and bind it into service as a gatekeeper?

5 hours ago, Matthew. said:

Even though I'm sure this will never be answered in the text, I wonder where that talking, weeping weirwood face came from anyway. Was it made from scratch, or did someone carve the face (and its resident spirit) away from a heart tree, blind it, and bind it into service as a gatekeeper?

Taking forward the theory that the faces on the trees are those who were sacrificed to it, I have suggested in the past that the gate is the Nights King, or rather that he was sacrificed to seal and guard the portal 

On 5/17/2016 at 5:54 AM, Matthew. said:

The most anticlimactic outcome:

Nah, they walk right up to the Black Gate to find a note saying nobody's home. Turn around and walk away again.

59 minutes ago, Black Crow said:

Nah, they walk right up to the Black Gate to find a note saying nobody's home. Turn around and walk away again.

Or they decide to instead spend a few years playing Mother in Slaver's Bay.

6 hours ago, Voice said:

Or they decide to instead spend a few years playing Mother in Slaver's Bay.

Would that be the equivalent of someone from Canada going to Puerto Vallarta for vacation or sabbatical...for 4 years (I might add)?

I correct myself..it would be the equivalent of a Canadian going to Katmandu for 4 years...at least that's what Bob Seger told me!

49 minutes ago, Mace Cooterian said:

Would that be the equivalent of someone from Canada going to Puerto Vallarta for vacation or sabbatical...for 4 years (I might add)?

I correct myself..it would be the equivalent of a Canadian going to Katmandu for 4 years...at least that's what Bob Seger told me!

:cheers:

Dany in Meereen is akin to Robert E Lee's granddaughter going to Vietnam on a crusade to close down sweat shops sans an economic plan.

Thus, the equivalent oxymoronic timewaster for the Others would be hopping on the Hogwarts Express to accept the Professor of Herbology position. Their disastrous four-year tenure would be known as the "Longbottom Snare."

Archived