Vikings X: Halfway Through the Madness

Corvinus85

16 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

It's kinda funny that Aethelwulf was in charge of a massacring a bunch of Norse farmers yet he still manages to the most likeable person in Wessex.

All right I admit it.

I'm secretly on #teamaethelwulf

I've been all in on him since he rescued queen Kwenthrith.

can we at least agree Aethelwulf's assault on the tower to rescue her in Mercia  was badass?

11 hours ago, generalzod said:

All right I admit it.

I'm secretly on #teamaethelwulf

I've been all in on him since he rescued queen Kwenthrith.

can we at least agree Aethelwulf's assault on the tower to rescue her in Mercia  was badass?

Yes, it was a well done chaotic fight. Which was then rendered meaningless when Kwen died an episode later.

The funny thing with Aethelwulf is I don't think we are meant to like him - it just inadvertently turns out that way. We're probably supposed to think he's a loser but he's almost the opposite in that he succeeds everytime his dad sends him out on a suicide mission. I think he's the prototype knight upon which chivalry will be based. I mean he looks after Alfred because it's the honarable thing to do despite knowing full well he's someone else's bastard.

On 9/15/2016 at 6:23 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

We also have the Everybody Still Loves Athelstan thing going on too. Riveting and so believable ....

I wish the head writer who is in charge of that plot thread would head on over to Deviant Art or Archive of Our Own and write some slash fic and leave the rest of us out of it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

History released some short previews for Rollo, Ubbe, Sigurd, Floke, Ivar, and Bjorn from the new season half. Pretty cool, there are scenes from 4B and some commentary from the actors and Hirst.

• 2 weeks later...

From the salon dot com site, How Do We Learn to Stop Worrying and Keep Loving "Vikings?" --

Then again, Ragnar conveniently disappears for several years, allowing the series to jump forward in time. Ragnar’s son Bjorn (Alexander Ludwig) is now a man of renown and poised to led a fleet into the Mediterranean, which, according to historical accounts, will eventually bring him to Italy, Spain and the African continent.

This is a fascinating and somewhat known chapter of history and one referenced in several films and TV series, including the Antonio Banderas vehicle “The 13th Warrior.” But the first half of season 4 aired in a vastly different political era, and our cultural climate has taken on an uglier tone that could affect my enjoyment of these exploits.

As the writer of the piece is an African American woman, she can't help but consider certain aspects that may be uncomfortable for some of us, though certainly something some of us people of pallor think and are concerned about too:

Vikings” has no reason to apologize for the appropriation of the culture upon which it’s based by ignorant, hateful people. It still distressing that the inflated presence of bigotry in everyday life threatens to affect my consumption of this prime-time pleasure. The prospect of Bjorn venturing into the Mediterranean and North African territories is something for me to look forward to as a viewer who enjoys Hirst’s writing and Ludwig’s thoughtful portrayal of the character.

As an African-American woman, I also harbor some mild dread over the depiction of this excursion. Nothing vexes a black nerd like racists loudly decrying diversity in spaces that they perceive to be exclusively theirs. How will bigots react to seeing Bjorn and his crew putting swords to brown people? It’s not a pleasurable thought.

As is true with any historically informed scripted work, Hirst’s telling of Ragnar Lothbrok’s story is led by an ample portion of imagination. As much as Hirst is credited for getting a great deal correct, he’s also weathered critiques for inaccurately depicting some aspects and, in more farfetched cases, surreptitiously making Ragnar and his armies stand-ins for liberals, with the ancient English monarchies playing the role of conservative movements. Again, popular TV plots lead to a variety of interpretations.

Bumping this to the front page because I forgot it was premiering tonight (until I read the Last Kingdom thread). The first half of season 4 was lack luster, but I'm still looking forward to seeing my favorite vikings again.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Anyone know how this is working with Amazon Prime? Iirc last season it was available next morning (though i guess with US/UK time difference it might have been available around the same time)

Available for free or to buy? 

43 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

huh, I have Prime, too, and I don't recall they did that. Not that it affects me since I watch it on TV.

Well I'm UK so it may be different. I don't even know which channel it airs on, I've always watched on Prime (though Season 4 is the first I watched week-to-week)

Good first episode, but the amount of commercial breaks is ridiculous. Not watching it live next week. 

It's good to share an hour weekly with some of my favorite characters on television again. I kind of feel sorry for the other three Lothbrok boys. Ivar completely overshadows them. He'll be fun to watch this season.

2 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Good first episode, but the amount of commercial breaks is ridiculous. Not watching it live next week. 

It's good to share an hour weekly with some of my favorite characters on television again. I kind of feel sorry for the other three Lothbrok boys. Ivar completely overshadows them. He'll be fun to watch this season.

No ad breaks for me :P the beauty of prime. (I stopped being lazy and looked it up. Should be available some time later today in th UK - http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/10/amazon-prime-video-sets-uk-return-date-vikings-season-4/ )

Ragnars sons were one of the main things that is prokpting me to carry on despite 4a. That and the fact I enjoyed the show immensely until 4a, I wasn't one who disliked season 3.

just warn me now though...is there any Paris? 

Haha, no Paris . . . yet :)

Bjorn and Ivar are the only two interesting sons. Ivar is great and Bjorn has had the luxury of 4 seasons to develop as a character. Those other three are ringing hollow, though.

Next week I'll just wait for the dvr to rrecord enough and ff through the commercials. I swear, the runtime of the episode was probably only 40 minutes with all of the commercials.

Decent episode mainly because it was all about the vikings, and no Paris, and no Wessex. Also very little of Aslaug, too. Ivar looks to be an interesting character. I liked the Floki-Ragnar moment, and the Lagertha-Ragnar scene as well.

On the other hand, Ragnar's motivation right now in not understandable, unless it's because he knows that he will die in England.

Liked Ivar and Bjorn. Both very strong actors, and Ivar was well developed in this one episode. Bjorn has his past stuff of course, but we also see him moving out of Ragnar's shadow here too. Noce. Ragnar's moments with Floki and Lagertha were also very good, building on their whole past.

Otherwise pretty unimpressed, dialogue wasnt great in a lot of places (especially Lagertha and Astrid "Are you not Lagertha?" Probably meant to seem deep and meaningful but just came off as stupid). Far too much of thr episode seemed to be sexcapades or the lead up to sexcapades that were just pointless. And i see Hirst is still trying the artsy thing with sex scenes he did with Yidu in 4A. Joys...

Also, Floki the Seer from 4A was completely pointless then?

Archived